Jimen & Kenly

cheap notary service

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

Does anyone know of a cheap place to get documents notarized in HCMC? I heard the US consulate in HCMC will notarize for $50. A bank in the US does it for $5-$10. Will US banks in HCMC notarize documents?

--jc

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

hi,us bank in hcmc ­vvill not notary document, I don"t kno­vv vvhich documents you need to notary,there are alot place to do this job,any vvay ,there is a place in center Hcmc notary cheaply:

PHONG CONG CHUNG

61 LE THI HONG GAM

p.NT.BINH

Q1.TPHCM

you can see here:

http://xn--si-gn-rqa3k.xn--qun-1-m31b.congchung.tel/

have fun

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does the US consulate accept private Vietnamese notarization?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Hi,

Does anyone know of a cheap place to get documents notarized in HCMC? I heard the US consulate in HCMC will notarize for $50. A bank in the US does it for $5-$10. Will US banks in HCMC notarize documents?

--jc

Justice Department ( So Tu Phap) in HCM will do it for around 200 nga`n (10 bucks) . Here is the address

141-143 Pasteur, phường 6, quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh

Số điện thoại: 08.8290230

04-14-2010 Sent 129F

11-08-2010 SWEET PINK

11-16-2010 Visa received

12-03-2010 POE: Chicago, IL

12-10-2010 Married in Civil Court

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Justice Department ( So Tu Phap) in HCM will do it for around 200 nga`n (10 bucks) . Here is the address

141-143 Pasteur, phường 6, quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh

Số điện thoại: 08.8290230

Thank you for the response. I went to the Justice Department at this location and asked an office on the side. The person in there said the Justice Department doesn't do notaries (cong chung). I don't know if this person understand the difference between US notaries and Vietnamese cong chung. The way my fiancee describes it, a Vietnamese government cong chung a document by verifying the data in the document. But that is not what a US notary does. The US notary stamps the document indicating you signed and sworn the data in the document is true, no verification is done. Does the Justice Department do Vietnamese cong chung or US notaries? If they do US notaries, can you tell me exactly which window in the Justice Department performs this service? There are different windows doing different services.

The notary is for the documents requested by the US consulate in a blue slip that my fiancee received after the K1 visa interview. The blue slip requests timeline, my address, her address, and her US relatiives' data.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--jc

Timeline

Thank you for the response. I went to the Justice Department at this location and asked an office on the side. The person in there said the Justice Department doesn't do notaries (cong chung). I don't know if this person understand the difference between US notaries and Vietnamese cong chung. The way my fiancee describes it, a Vietnamese government cong chung a document by verifying the data in the document. But that is not what a US notary does. The US notary stamps the document indicating you signed and sworn the data in the document is true, no verification is done. Does the Justice Department do Vietnamese cong chung or US notaries? If they do US notaries, can you tell me exactly which window in the Justice Department performs this service? There are different windows doing different services.

The notary is for the documents requested by the US consulate in a blue slip that my fiancee received after the K1 visa interview. The blue slip requests timeline, my address, her address, and her US relatiives' data.

Thanks in advance for any information.

--jc

I think it would be saved a lot times if you notarize your timeline at the U.S consulate. It costs $50 for a notarization but it comes with the peace of mind that U.S consulate will accept it. I don't think you need to notary your address, her address, and her relatives' data in the U.S.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-130 Sent: 2010-04-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-13

I-130 RFE: 2010-10-04

I-130 RFE Sent: 2010-10-08

I-130 Approved: 2010-10-25

NVC Received: 2010-10-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2010-11-09

Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-11-10

Receive I-864 Package:

Return Completed I-864: 2010-11-18

Return Completed DS-3032: 2010-11-22

Receive IV Bill: 2010-12-02

Pay IV Bill: 2010-12-03

Receive Instruction Package: 2010-12-28

Case Completed at NVC: 2011-01-11

Visa Received : 2011-04-30

Thank Visajourney! Couldn't have done without you guys!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Does anyone know if a US notary actually has anything to do with swearing the information is true? I've actually always seen it only as authenticating the signature on the form as being the right person b/c the notary public has checked the ID.

And to the OP, if your US bank does it for $5 to $10 change banks. Every bank I've ever used will do it for free.

And, finally, Jerome, when are you gonna get your notary license already!?

Timeline

NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES OF U.S. CONSULAR OFFICERS ABROAD

DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION IN THIS CIRCULAR IS PROVIDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY. FOR QUESTIONS CONCERNING ADMISSIBILITY OF DOCUMENTS EXECUTED ABROAD SEE APPROPRIATE FEDERAL AND STATE STATUTES. QUESTIONS INVOLVING INTERPRETATION OF SPECIFIC FOREIGN LAWS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO FOREIGN COUNSEL.

HOW DO YOU GET A DOCUMENT NOTARIZED OVERSEAS? Consular officials at any U.S. embassy or consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated by the appropriate foreign authority in a country party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (which includes notarial documents). (VIETNAM IS NOT A MEMBER NATION OF THE HAGUE)

WHAT IS THE LEGAL AUTHORITY FOR CONSULAR PERFORMANCE OF NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATIONS SERVICES? Notarial and authentication services are one of the oldest traditional consular functions dating back to Statute I, Session I, Chapter 24 of April 14, 1792, "An Act Concerning Consuls and Vice Consuls". See 22 U.S.C. 4215; 2 U.S.C. 4221; Rule 44(a)(2) FRCvP, 28 U.S.C. Appendix; Rule 902(3) FREv, 28 U.S.C. Appendix; 28 U.S.C. 1740; 1741; 22 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 92.2 et seq. Only persons who meet the definition of "notarizing officer" may notarize documents at a U.S. embassy or consulate. See 22 C.F.R. 92.1(d). The term "notarizing officer" at a U.S. embassy or consulate includes consular officers, officers of the Foreign Service who are secretaries of embassy or legation under 22 U.S.C. 4221 and such U.S. citizen employees as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Overseas Citizens Services may designate for the purpose of performing notarial acts overseas pursuant to Section 127(b) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1994-1995, Pub. L. 103-236, April 30, 1994. See also the Uniform Notarial Act, the Uniform Recognition of Acknowledgments Act and the Uniform Acknowledgment Act.

IS THERE A TREATY AUTHORITY PERMITTING CONSULAR OFFICERS TO PERFORM NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES ABROAD? Notarial functions of consuls are included in the earliest treaties dating back to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In modern times, Article 5(f) of the multilateral Vienna Convention on Consular Relations of 1963, 21 U.S.T. 77, to which more than 165 countries are parties, authorizes consular officers to perform notarial functions. Bilateral consular conventions include similar provisions.

HOW DO THE NOTARIAL FUNCTIONS OF U.S. CONSULAR OFFICIALS DIFFER FROM THOSE OF A U.S. NOTARY PUBLIC? Like a notary public in the U.S., the consular official must require the personal appearance of the person requesting the notarial service; establish the identity of the person requesting the service; establish that the person understands the nature, language and consequences of the document to be notarized; and establish that the person is not acting under duress. (22 C.F.R. 92.31). In addition, the consular official must be satisfied that the act does not come within the purview of the regulatory bases for refusal to provide the notarial service set forth at 22 C.F.R. 92.9. This requires that the consular officer be generally familiar with the laws of the foreign country, U.S. law, and treaty obligations, or consult the Department of State when a matter is in doubt. Finally, in addition to the usual functions of notaries related to oaths, affidavits and acknowledgments, U.S. consular officials authenticate documents, a governmental act, which is not performed by notaries in the United States.

WHAT IS THE BASIS FOR A CONSULAR OFFICIAL TO REFUSE TO PROVIDE A NOTARIAL OR AUTHENTICATION SERVICE: Refusal of notarial and authentication services by consular officers can only be done under specific limited circumstances. (22 CFR 92.9, 92.10). The historical basis for refusal to provide the service dates back to 1866 when the Attorney General found that consuls could refuse to authenticate a power of attorney executed before a notary public in the United Kingdom related "to property acquired during the {Civil} War, in violation of the proclamations of the President and acts of Congress, and by parties who were actively engaged in running the blockade." (See Official Opinions of the Attorneys General of the United States, Vol. XII, Opinion of Hon. Henry Stanbery of Ohio, August 1, 1866.) Bases for refusal include (a) acts not authorized by treaty or permitted by laws of foreign country; (b) acts prohibited by laws or regulations of the U.S. (such as regulations promulgated pursuant to the Trading With the Enemy Act or successor statutes); or © if the consular official believes that the document will be used for a purpose patently unlawful, improper or inimical to the best interests of the United States.

DO U.S. EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES PROVIDE NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES FOR NON-U.S. CITIZENS? Yes. 22 C.F.R. 92.4(b) provides that these services may be performed for any person regardless of nationality so long as the document in connection with which the notarial/authentication service is required is for use within the jurisdiction of the United States.

WHAT ARE THE HOURS OF OPERATION FOR NOTARIAL SERVICES AT U.S. EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES? Contact the Consular Section, American Citizens Services of the U.S. embassy or consulate in advance to determine the hours of operation for notarial/authentication services. Hours may vary for U.S. citizens and foreign nationals. The telephone numbers and addresses of U.S. embassies and consulates are listed in our Country Specific Information , available through our autofax service and on our home page on the Internet.

EXAMPLES OF NOTARIAL/AUTHENTICATION ACTS:

Acknowledgment: To "acknowledge" is to admit, affirm, or declare; to recognize one's acts, assuming obligation or incurring responsibility. For example, if you sign a deed before a notarial officer, you acknowledge your signature.

Oath: Any form of an attestation by which a person signifies that he or she is bound in conscience to perform an act faithfully and truthfully. A person who intentionally makes false statements under oath before a U.S. consular official is punishable for perjury (22 U.S.C. 4221).

Affirmation: A solemn and formal declaration that an affidavit is true, that the witness will tell the truth, etc.

Affidavit: A written or printed declaration or statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it, taken before an officer having authority to administer such an oath.

Attestation: The act of witnessing an instrument in writing, at the request of the party executing the document, and subscribing it as a witness.

Corporate Acknowledgment: Officials of corporations who desire to execute an instrument in their capacity as corporate officials before a consular notarizing officer must present adequate proof of their corporate identity.

WHAT IS AUTHENTICATION: An authentication is the placing of the consular seal over the seal of a foreign authority whose seal and signature is on file with the American embassy or consulate. A consular authentication in no way attests to the authenticity of the contents of a document but merely to the seal and signature of the issuing authority.

WHAT IS AN "APOSTILLE"? The name of the authentication certification provided for under the Hague Convention Abolishing the Legalization of Foreign Public Documents , a multilateral treaty to which the United States is a party.

WHAT IS THE LEGAL AUTHORITY FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED SERVICES TO PERFORM NOTARIAL ACTS ABROAD? See 10 U.S.C. 936 (Article 136 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice) and the respective Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) between the U.S. and the foreign country in question. These services are limited to persons coming within the jurisdiction of the U.S. military base abroad, and are not available for the traveling public.

CAN A NOTARY PUBLIC FROM THE UNITED STATES PERFORM THAT FUNCTION ABROAD? No. The commission of a notary public is limited to the jurisdiction within the particular state in the U.S. for which the commission was issued. For additional information about notaries in the United States contact the National Notary Association, a Non-Profit Educational Organization, 8236 Remmet Avenue, P.O. Box 7184, Canoga Park, CA 91304-7184, tel: 818-713-4000.

CAN STATES IN THE U.S. APPOINT COMMISSIONERS OF DEEDS TO PERFORM EXTRATERRITORIALLY NOTARIAL ACTS FOR USE IN THAT STATE? Some states have very old statutes which provide for such appointments. However, in the exercise of such powers under state law, commissioners of deeds may violate the sovereignty of a foreign country, because the commissioners would be performing the functions of duly authorized officials of the foreign country.

IS IT AGAINST THE LAW FOR AN AMERICAN NOTARY OR COMMISSIONER OF DEEDS TO PERFORM EXTRATERRITORIAL NOTARIAL ACTS? There are certain foreign countries which provide criminal penalties for unauthorized acts of a foreign official, which such a commissioner of deeds would be considered to be, in their territory. The Department of State recommends that State Secretaries of State not appoint commissioners of deeds to perform their functions in a foreign country until it is established, with the Department's help, that the host government would not object.

HOW CAN A U.S. CITIZENS BECOME A NOTARY PUBLIC IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY? The procedures for becoming a notary public vary from country to country, and may require that the individual be a citizen of the foreign country. Specific questions may be addressed to the embassy of the foreign country in Washington, D.C.

WHAT FEES ARE CHARGED FOR CONSULAR NOTARIAL AND AUTHENTICATION SERVICES ABROAD? Effective July 13, 2010 there is a $50.00 fee for each notarial service. Also effective July 13, 2010, there is a $50.00 fee for each authentication service provided by a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Fees may be paid in cash or by certified check or money order. No personal checks are accepted. Certified checks or money orders should be made payable to the American embassy or consulate. (For example, American Embassy Kingston.)

http://travel.state....icial_2086.html

The consulate is your only option in HCMC.

Edited by Mekong Mark

Timeline

Does anyone know if a US notary actually has anything to do with swearing the information is true? I've actually always seen it only as authenticating the signature on the form as being the right person b/c the notary public has checked the ID.

And to the OP, if your US bank does it for $5 to $10 change banks. Every bank I've ever used will do it for free.

And, finally, Jerome, when are you gonna get your notary license already!?

I work with a couple of notary and from what they told me, they do not have anything to do with the information. They job is simply to witness that you actually sign the document, if anything on that document is false, it falls on you.

• 3 years later...
Timeline

It appears that the U.S. consulate has cornered the market with this and $50.... damn. I am setting up an appointment to do this now, but if you don't have time or for whatever reason, there is now an online site that does notary services via webcam but it's $80. It may be a little beneficial to someone who is in "the countryside" that may cost more than that just to get city. I am lucky and I live in HCMC (or unlucky depending on how you look at it haha) and I don't have to travel far when I need to get documents signed/ certified. I just wanted to throw this out there so that in case anyone is needing it, there is another option. I will not post the link to the site because I don't want to advertise or anything, but you can google it if you want more info on it, just google "notary public services online" and you should be able to find it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.