Solution

2 yrs or 10 yrs visa

9 posts in this topic

I am going to have my interview date by March, most likely but our two year anniversary comes on april. since we were married under two years when we applied for CR1. So now we still going to be considered for CR1, a month difference and we do not want a second application and going the process again in the future...we want to finish it here? Do the consulate decide on this or the authorities in the state on board of entry??

Edited by Solution

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

I am going to have my interview date by March, most likely but our two year anniversary comes on april. since we were married under two years when we applied for CR1. So now we still going to be considered for CR1, a month difference and we do not want a second application and going the process again in the future...we want to finish it here? Do the consulate decide on this or the authorities in the state on board of entry??

You can try and ask the Consulate for an IR-1 and see what they say. Some Consulates have agreed to grant an IR-1 if it's very close to the 2-year wedding anniversary (but normally, no more than just a few days and as long as the intended travel date is past the 2-year mark).

Alternatively, if you can delay your travel to the US until after your 2-year anniversary, then you can ask the Immigration Officer at the border to stamp your passport with an unconditional permanent residency stamp. This has been done successfully by some people here on VJ.

A third alternative would be to try and reschedule your interview for after the 2-year anniversary, in which case they'll have to automatically consider you for an IR-1. But be sure to remind them, because they may still think they're processing you for a CR-1.

Edited by Christi85

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

You can try and ask the Consulate for an IR-1 and see what they say. Some Consulates have agreed to grant an IR-1 if it's very close to the 2-year wedding anniversary (but normally, no more than just a few days and as long as the intended travel date is past the 2-year mark).

Alternatively, if you can delay your travel to the US until after your 2-year anniversary, then you can ask the Immigration Officer at the border to stamp your passport with an unconditional permanent residency stamp. This has been done successfully by some people here on VJ.

A third alternative would be to try and reschedule your interview for after the 2-year anniversary, in which case they'll have to automatically consider you for an IR-1. But be sure to remind them, because they may still think they're processing you for a CR-1.

:thumbs: I think the second one is the best

07.19.2010 - NOA1

05.23.2011 - POE - LAX

06.01.2011 - Welcome letter arrived :)

06.04.2011 - 10 year GC received by mail :)

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

I agree with hope, delay your POE until after the 2 year anniversary!

07/07/09 : Married

08/18/09: I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/20/09: I-130 Received by USCIS

08/25/09: NOA1

09/22/09: NOA2

10/05/09: Received case# and gave emails

10/07/09: Received DS-3032 and AOS email

10/09/09: Sent DS-3032 email to optin electronic filing

10/15/09: Paid both AOS & IV fees

10/16/09: Received email electronic filing accepted

10/18/09: Sent AOS via email

10/23/09: Received email that AOS was accepted and waiting for IV

10/27/09: Sent IV via email

11/10/09: Signon to payment failure

11/19/09: Received email for interview - December 14th

12/14/09: Approved for Visa

12/16/09: Received Visa

I got interview date on march 3 weeks before our 2 years anniversery. I am not sure what am going to ask them... But I hope they give me the unconditional permanent residencey..given everything went well in that time

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I got interview date on march 3 weeks before our 2 years anniversery. I am not sure what am going to ask them... But I hope they give me the unconditional permanent residencey..given everything went well in that time

You're still confused. If the visa is issued before the two year anniversary of your marriage, it will be a CR1 visa. If she then delays using the visa until after the anniversary, she's entitled to IR1 status and a ten year green card.

The visa is good for one entry within six months. The Consulate issues visas but does not give residency status. They are separate issues. As people have told you, if you want the ten year green card, have her delay entering the USA until after you've been married two years.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You're still confused. If the visa is issued before the two year anniversary of your marriage, it will be a CR1 visa. If she then delays using the visa until after the anniversary, she's entitled to IR1 status and a ten year green card.

The visa is good for one entry within six months. The Consulate issues visas but does not give residency status. They are separate issues. As people have told you, if you want the ten year green card, have her delay entering the USA until after you've been married two years.

It make sense thank you for your help

• 4 months later...

I need your words again. I moved to america after two years I have not got my green card but I entered embassy prior to our two years anniversary. i would like to know again if my green card can be 2 years or 10 years. But the visa says CR1..since i entered embassy before two years..now i entered america after two years what do u think

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.