cmoore25

Security Clearance - does it help?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My fiance worked in the military for many years. He has a very high level of security clearance - and has spent time working in the US during his military (not US) career. He seems to think that this will help the process along. He lived in Australia for a short period of time on a work-visa and said it was approved extremely fast because of this. Do you think it will make any difference in obtaining a visa to the states?

After reading the topics posted on this forum for about a month, it seems that very little helps to speed the process along, so I am a bit skeptical.

BTW - I am very thankful for this board! I feel as though I've learned so much not only through my questions but others as well!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My fiance worked in the military for many years. He has a very high level of security clearance - and has spent time working in the US during his military (not US) career. He seems to think that this will help the process along. He lived in Australia for a short period of time on a work-visa and said it was approved extremely fast because of this. Do you think it will make any difference in obtaining a visa to the states?

After reading the topics posted on this forum for about a month, it seems that very little helps to speed the process along, so I am a bit skeptical.

BTW - I am very thankful for this board! I feel as though I've learned so much not only through my questions but others as well!!

No it does not help at all.My husband served in the Military US for 26 years with 2 tours of Iraq, was in Kuwait did army time in Korea and also Germany. Left as a Sergeant Major.

It had no relevance on our case at all even though he thought it might as well because on USCIS they say that veterans and acting military get expedited service NOTTTTTTTTTTTTT

We had to wait just like everyone else. I suppose the only thing that did happen was we were approved in 3 months from 9th March to 22nd June.Then another 2 months for visa and my arrival to happen. So it still took 6 months from start to end.

So tell him no has no bearing what soever.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

I dont see how it could hurt either way. They will still do name checks and most of the time a background check. One thing to remember, foreign military's clearances arent equivelent to US military's security clearances.. I say that since he was with a NATO country, it shouldnt be an issue especially since he was allowed to come to the US with his military unit.

As far as helping the process go faster...nope...not unless he deploys or will deploy really soon. That is only for the USC though...not the beneficiary.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If any thing, I guess your fiance's security clearance actually HURT your case, not help your case.

Remember, your fiance is already a US citizen, he is not applying a visa to bring himself into the USA. The security concern for USCIS is mainly focused on you, the alien person. They have to make sure by issuing a visa to you, they are not bringing a terrorist or otherwise threat the security of this nation. So if your fiance has security clearance and works on sensitive government projects, they probably will scrutinize you much more closely to make sure you are not a potential spy trying to approach sensitive information through relationship with your fiance.

Just my 2 cents. Better keep your heads low when it comes to immigration.

Edited by Palladin

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If any thing, I guess your fiance's security clearance actually HURT your case, not help your case.

Remember, your fiance is already a US citizen, he is not applying a visa to bring himself into the USA. The security concern for USCIS is mainly focused on you, the alien person. They have to make sure by issuing a visa to you, they are not bringing a terrorist or otherwise threat the security of this nation. So if your fiance has security clearance and works on sensitive government projects, they probably will scrutinize you much more closely to make sure you are not a potential spy trying to approach sensitive information through relationship with your fiance.

Just my 2 cents. Better keep your heads low when it comes to immigration.

She is the USC. As such I am sure she knows she doesnt need a visa. Her fiance is from Scottland. It appears that he served in the ( not U S ) Scottish military but may have been attached to the U S military.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being active duty military, with the HIGH clearance, it does NOT help. BUT, it does not hurt either. All she needs to do is make sure that she updates with her agency/contractor/employer (whoever granted the clearance) EVERY step of the way. USCIS does not follow clearances or they do not care. As for expedite, only applies if she (the USC)is deploying sometime with in the AVERAGE processing time. BUT, it sounds good, but if she deploys right after you get here (if expedited that way) then you have to stay here and wait for her return from deployment, or at least until an AP is approved. And proof of deployment is needed, either a letter from the senior military person or actual orders. I tried every way I could to expedite it. Still took almost 6 months to get approval.

Good Luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wish it did though.

My fiancee and I would be together, married and working on the family by now. Instead we're waiting past the 5 month mark.

Thanks USCIS... Your service is appreciated! (extreme sarcasm)

Filed I-129F CSC ~~~~~ 3 August 2010

NOA-1 Received ~~.~~~ 6 August 2010

Called CSC @ 5 mo mk ~ 6 January 2011

**CSC added 21 days to normal processing period***

Service Call ~~~~.~~~~ 27 January 2011

NOA-2 APPROVED! ~~ 27 January 2011

NVC Received ~~~~~~~ 1 February 2011

Embassy Received ~.~~ 8 February 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Correct, I am the USC - he is the Scottish citizen with the security clearance.

I did not have high hopes for it - but it sounded nice for a second!

Oh well, we will wait for the processing like everybody else!! Well worth the wait!! :)

yeah i got our case expedited through the USCIS and NVC and it still took us 5 months. would have been quicker, but we did get an RFE at the USCIS stage and I had to send my reply when I was in Kuwait...no express mailing from a deployed location. So it took 1 month extra because of the RFE. It can be done quick if the petitioner is on top of everything and has stuff ready to go and the NVC doesnt forget about your case (see our timeline).. Just check our timeline and you will see it still took quite awhile even with the expedites.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe we were one of the extreme tiny few but our I-129F was approved in 5 days after our NOA1. My husband is Active duty US military tho (with high clearance). He was also about to deploy and we asked for expedite for the interview and got our interview expedited.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mathew stayed in AP for a week when he first got to NVC and when I asked if it was because of the secret security clearance he had in Canada, multiple reps said that they tend to investigate a little deeper when that's involved for some reason.

You'd think having clearances would help, but I guess they don't. :blush:

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.