incogkneeto

RCMP background check for Canadian alien?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. I am the Canadian alien of a US fianceeship in the phase of waiting for our NOA2, preparing as much as I can for the passing of the process into my hands. All I know about my turn is what I've read here and I have spent my evening reading here, and reading here, and reading here... I apologize if this is an echo of a post that my searches did not catch.....

Is it I who needs an RCMP background check? Both of us? If it helps, we're oriented towards the Vancouver embassy.

Thanks all for your time and any help. :)

Dan & Sheryl (Twin Cities, MN and Calgary, AB Canada)

Feb 29 2004 - Met on LiveJournal.com

July 25 2005 - Things start to get 'romantic'

Nov 11 2005 - Met in person

Dec 31 2005 - Engaged

March 6 2006 - I-129F sent

March 9 2006 - I-129F NOA1

July 3 2006 - RFE in the mail

July 5 2006 - RFE sent

July 10 2006 - RFE received

July 11 2006 - touched

Aug 31 2006 - touched! oooooh

Sept 1 2006 - touch-a-touch-a-touch-a-touched us

Sept 7 2006 - touch

Sept 20 2006 - Dan calls DHS - Was told another RFE was sent three weeks ago

Sept 21 2006 - Local USCIS office claims RFE is a request for 'initial' evidence - RFE must be lost or was never actually sent.

Sept 22 2006 - Congressional inquiry #2- told "We are working on your case, please allow 60 days" ARGGHH

Sept 26 2006 - 6 touches from all Dan's investigating

Oct 16 2006 - Finally received the RFE that's been holding up our case. It's the IMBRA RFE that we already sent in and was verified received!

Oct 17 2006 - Senator Mark Dayton's office finally gets USCIS to pull out petition for special processing.

Oct 24 2006 - FINALLY APPROVED!

Jan 18 2007 - Interview in Vancouver / K-1 received

Jan 23 2007 - I enter US

Jan 26 2007 - civil wedding

Feb 17 2007 - ceremonial wedding!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you will have to get a Canada wide criminal record search....and if you lived anywhere else in the world for 6 months or more. The hitch here is they might not allow you to do the criminal check until after you have gotten your NOA2 paper work so that they have proof of reason for the search. As far as cost and time goes it varies office to office but if you need a international search done it can take anywhere from 2-6 months. From what I have seen on VJ most RCMP Canada wide checks take no more than a week sometimes it can be done the same day..again just depends on the office..hope that helps! :blush:

FYI..there is a great discussion forum here..for regional groups...and on the Canada one there are a lot of helpful people who have gone or are going through this as well...http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93 in the meantime my fiance and I have just been putting together more proof of relationship/evidence for the interview...keeps our minds from dwelling on the time....Goodluck!

K1-Journey

[*]March 9,2006 finally sent K1 Package to Nebraska

[*]March 24-NOA1

[*]July 17/06 -IMBRA RFE

September 13/06- 3 Emails stating we got NOA2, APPROVED!!! Dated September 8,2006.

[*]October 20th/06-Received Packet 3

[*]October 31/06-Medical Exam

December 6,2006-Interview in Vancouver APPROVED!

Arrived in US- December 14, 2006

January 3,2007- Applied for SSN got within 7 days in the mail.

February 17,2007- MARRIED!

AOS-EAD-AP Journey:

March 2, 2007-Started AOS paperwork

March 12,2007- Filed AOS, EAD, AP Docs.

March 22, 2007-NOA1 for AOS,EAD, AP

March 23, 2007-Receive "Biometrics Appointment"Letter

April 4, 2007- Biometrics Appointment...done..

April 19,2007-Notice in Mail saying transfered to CSC..not sure what is up with that...

May 21, 2007- Touched and email saying case pending at CSC.

May 23,2007-AOS Touched!

May 25, 2007-AOS Touched-Again

May 29, 2007-Email AP APPROVED.

May 29, 2007-EAD touched

May 30,2007-AP and EAD Touched

May 31, 2007-Email stating I-485 Card Production Ordered!!! WOOHOO!

June 1,2007-Email EAD Approved

June 2, 2007- AP Received.

June 4, 2007 -Welcome New Permanent Resident letter received.

June 7, 2007-EAD Card Received..no GC yet..

June 9, 2007-GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes you will have to get a Canada wide criminal record search....and if you lived anywhere else in the world for 6 months or more. The hitch here is they might not allow you to do the criminal check until after you have gotten your NOA2 paper work so that they have proof of reason for the search. As far as cost and time goes it varies office to office but if you need a international search done it can take anywhere from 2-6 months. From what I have seen on VJ most RCMP Canada wide checks take no more than a week sometimes it can be done the same day..again just depends on the office..hope that helps! :blush:

FYI..there is a great discussion forum here..for regional groups...and on the Canada one there are a lot of helpful people who have gone or are going through this as well...http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93 in the meantime my fiance and I have just been putting together more proof of relationship/evidence for the interview...keeps our minds from dwelling on the time....Goodluck!

Thank you! That's all pretty much exactly what I thought and had derived from the Canadian regional forum. Just had to be sure for time's sake because, of course, surely it's going to be tomorrow when I get that phone call........ :whistle:

Dan & Sheryl (Twin Cities, MN and Calgary, AB Canada)

Feb 29 2004 - Met on LiveJournal.com

July 25 2005 - Things start to get 'romantic'

Nov 11 2005 - Met in person

Dec 31 2005 - Engaged

March 6 2006 - I-129F sent

March 9 2006 - I-129F NOA1

July 3 2006 - RFE in the mail

July 5 2006 - RFE sent

July 10 2006 - RFE received

July 11 2006 - touched

Aug 31 2006 - touched! oooooh

Sept 1 2006 - touch-a-touch-a-touch-a-touched us

Sept 7 2006 - touch

Sept 20 2006 - Dan calls DHS - Was told another RFE was sent three weeks ago

Sept 21 2006 - Local USCIS office claims RFE is a request for 'initial' evidence - RFE must be lost or was never actually sent.

Sept 22 2006 - Congressional inquiry #2- told "We are working on your case, please allow 60 days" ARGGHH

Sept 26 2006 - 6 touches from all Dan's investigating

Oct 16 2006 - Finally received the RFE that's been holding up our case. It's the IMBRA RFE that we already sent in and was verified received!

Oct 17 2006 - Senator Mark Dayton's office finally gets USCIS to pull out petition for special processing.

Oct 24 2006 - FINALLY APPROVED!

Jan 18 2007 - Interview in Vancouver / K-1 received

Jan 23 2007 - I enter US

Jan 26 2007 - civil wedding

Feb 17 2007 - ceremonial wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.