jb&np

First trip to Ukraine

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I bought my ticket to visit the Ukraine. My finacee and I met when she was here in the states for about 9 months, she is concerned I will not like the Ukraine and I continue to try and convince her that it will be okay as I like visiting new places and trying new things.

We have been talking about taking 7 or 8 days and going on a mini vacation inside my vacation. I found a website and believe we are going to stay here..... http://www.adventurecarpathians.com/accommodation/transcarpathians/izki/hotel-complex-izki/. Has anyone used this company before or visited this region of the Ukraine? We are looking to try a little skiing, a lot of relaxation, maybe taking a 4 wheeler or snowmobile trip, some normal sight-seeing and hopefully seeing a few old castles and just any old buildings.

Thanks for any suggestions or information.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have never stayed there myself, it is a smaller ski facility. I just did an article on Bukovel a European style resort. www.easyukraine.com if you want more information just send me a pn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I bought my ticket to visit the Ukraine. My finacee and I met when she was here in the states for about 9 months, she is concerned I will not like the Ukraine and I continue to try and convince her that it will be okay as I like visiting new places and trying new things.

We have been talking about taking 7 or 8 days and going on a mini vacation inside my vacation. I found a website and believe we are going to stay here..... http://www.adventurecarpathians.com/accommodation/transcarpathians/izki/hotel-complex-izki/. Has anyone used this company before or visited this region of the Ukraine? We are looking to try a little skiing, a lot of relaxation, maybe taking a 4 wheeler or snowmobile trip, some normal sight-seeing and hopefully seeing a few old castles and just any old buildings.

Thanks for any suggestions or information.

Nothing wrong with what you plan but I don't know of any reason you would not like Ukraine anyway. It is different, to be sure. Full of texture. But I consider my time there to be my life's greatest adventure. Great place. we still have a flat in Donetsk, certainly not one of Ukraine's tourist hotspots, but I enjoy every moment there.

What I am saying is, you can have a great time there without going to a lot of trouble.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Never been to that particular resort, but it looks like fun. We did take the hot (jarko) Ukrainian train to Lvov once, and really enjoyed it. You are going to have an interesting and fun trip. Go with an open mind and be patient - she will be surprised at how much you like it.

Then when she arrives, show her Vegas and Disney World first thing :devil:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Gary - She thinks that the Ukraine is very behind the states and I am tech kind of guy. I think that is why she is concerned with me enjoying my visit. That and also the food, I am a meat and potato kind of guy and don't enjoy fish. I keep explaining that I will not starve, and might even lose a few pounds that will be good for me. :)

Brad - I already know I will enjoy the trip. I have been to a variety of countries (Japan, Korea, Australia, Hong Kong, Canada, Gaum and more) I understand that every country has unique features to it. I plan to do like I have in the past and just keep an open mind and enjoy the time.

Timeline

Gary - She thinks that the Ukraine is very behind the states and I am tech kind of guy. I think that is why she is concerned with me enjoying my visit. That and also the food, I am a meat and potato kind of guy and don't enjoy fish. I keep explaining that I will not starve, and might even lose a few pounds that will be good for me. :)

Brad - I already know I will enjoy the trip. I have been to a variety of countries (Japan, Korea, Australia, Hong Kong, Canada, Gaum and more) I understand that every country has unique features to it. I plan to do like I have in the past and just keep an open mind and enjoy the time.

I lived there for two years and never ate that stinky fish. There is plenty of meat and endless mountains of potatoes and onions. Other than exotic names, Ukrainian food is pretty much basic meat and potatoes, heavy on the potatoes. Ukraine is not "up to date" in most areas, but there are people that have all the modern stuff we do. Most people do not. So what? I went to the internet club every day when I was there to get email and such. Now we have internet (kind of) in our flat but it doesn't always work. :whistle: So we just go to the internet club around the corner. One thing is that they have more cell phones than we do. :lol:

You will have a great time.

Gary And Alla

I have enjoyed every place I have seen over there. the taste of the food is amazing except stinky fish. I enjoy good sushi but some of the fish iI just cannot do.

I got to see the wife suck an eyeball out of a carp (fish soup) at her parents dacha. That did it right then and there for me when it comes to eating fish over there. :(

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Since she's been to the U.S. she's probably concerned that you will find Ukraine backward because of some facilities that are very old in style. Just be prepared for crowded commuting, crazy drivers, and some archaic public restrooms. You will find the hole in the floor in some places.

The food is wonderful and you could very well put pounds on, except for the fact you will be walking quite a bit in snowy conditions, which a guaranteed weight reducer.

Otherwise, you will enjoy the time there and the people. You should have her book anything as prices change for non-Ukrainians.

Everyone that I've met from Ukraine thinks the Carpathian Mountains is the best place in the world. Enjoy yourself. :thumbs:

Timeline

I got to see the wife suck an eyeball out of a carp (fish soup) at her parents dacha. That did it right then and there for me when it comes to eating fish over there. :(

VOMIT ICON PLEASE!

Gary And Alla

Honestly there are some awesome restaurants that serve good fish in Odessa. Lots of great sushi too - if you are into that. The newest place we found is called Yakitoria, and is almost above the faux Irish pub called Mick O'Neal's (the 24 hour hangout for expats and MOB shoppers). Yakitoria is stylish and expensive (by Ukrainian standards), but serves really tasty sushi and cooked Japanese-style food.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I have enjoyed every place I have seen over there. the taste of the food is amazing except stinky fish. I enjoy good sushi but some of the fish iI just cannot do.

We have a holiday tradition, where my wife prepares pieces of bread with cheese, tomatoes, etc. topped with the stinky fish.

Total number of little breads with stinky fish on top: 15.

Total number of little breads with stinky fish on top eaten by anyone other than my wife: 0.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

suck an eyeball out of a carp

When you know... you know. "Will you marry me?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Wow...that sounds like something straight out of the TV show fear factor.!!!!

I always thought some of those girls were great marriage material.

We have a holiday tradition, where my wife prepares pieces of bread with cheese, tomatoes, etc. topped with the stinky fish.

Total number of little breads with stinky fish on top: 15.

Total number of little breads with stinky fish on top eaten by anyone other than my wife: 0.

Vika does this stuff too :lol: I am finally to the point where I can sit at the same table while she chews fish fins, and can smell the stinky fish. Who says you can't teach an old, fat, bald dog a new trick :rofl:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.