mrs.sr

Name Change before or after removal of conditions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks,

I have a conditional Green card via marriage to my USC wife. I would like to change my last name to something new and my wife will also be changing her last name to our new last name.

When is a good time to do this.

1. Now

2. During removal of conditions

3. During Naturalization

I need to change my name on the following documents

1. Indian Passport: with Indian Consulate using court order?

2. Green Card: with USCIS using court order?

3. SSN Card: Using court order or do you need the name change on the Green card for this (catch 22?)

4. Drivers License: using SSN card?

I still have a year left for removal of conditions and would hate to pay for a replacement card or wait for the new card to arrive (have heard horror stories

where people had to wait a long time).

So, can I only change my name on my SSN card and drivers license for now and change my passport and Green Card just before removal of conditions?

What is the process of changing name on Green Card during removal of conditions? Since my wife (sponsor) and I will both have new names, will this create problems?, or are we ok as long as we have our old documents (Marriage Certs, Birth Certs etc) linking to the new documents (lease, titles) via the Name Change Court order.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Curious to see some answers on this one as my hubby wants to legally change his name. I think the best thing is to time it so it happens just prior to filing for the removal of conditions, file with along with the certified Order changing the name, then follow with the SS card and DL? or do it before?

Good question.

I've read that changing one's name is easiest during naturalization. But my wife and I both want to change our last names to something new ASAP.

We don't like each of our last names :)

I understand that the process to do that now is cumbersome but I don't mind starting the process as long as we don't get stuck in a catch-22 situation

such as "need to change my SSN card before Green Card" and "need to change Green Card before SSN". I also don't want to be in a situation where I cannot

travel for a long period while this is in process.

If you are super eager to change your name now and really don't want to wait until naturalization, then it would probably be better to do it immediately, before removal of conditions. Of course you will have to pay for an extra green card with biometrics.

I think that the court order should be sufficient to get a new SSN, whilst still using your old green card to prove residency status. However, you'd probably want to check with the SSA before going forward. I don't think this in itself is a problem, as you don't need to change your name on your SS card right away.

Driver's licence: depends on the state.

Green card: pretty simple, fill out a form and send it off with about $445 and your court order.

Indian passport: I think, from looking at the Embassy's website, you will have to advertise your new name in newspapers in both the US and India. Other than that, you just pay the fee and get a new passport.

Obviously there may be periods of time during the process when you can't travel, but so long as you try to avoid doing everything when you plan to be away you should be ok. I don't know about Indian passports specifically, but generally it is fine to travel with a combination of documents: passport and green card in different names, with the court order.

Filed: Other Timeline

Life can be very simple, but isn't it amazing how we always manage to make it more complicated?

A name change is a big deal, always, just in regard to all the documents involved. Now add to this immigration and you're potentially dealing with all of these:

1) passport

2) Green Card

3) Social Security Card

4) Bank and ATM/Check card

5) Credit cards

6) Vehicle titles/registrations

7) Insurances

I'm sure there are more items to be added to this list, but it is potentially a can of worms, a closed can that you are attempting to open.

Luckily, there are 2 instances where a name change is easy. See it as a black hole in the universe of trouble:

1) Marriage

2) Naturalization

Unfortunately, #1 will only allow you to take on the last ("family") name of your spouse, if you so desire. The change of the first name or the adoption of a fictional name is not possible.

Fortunately, #2 opens this window, painless and easily. When naturalizing, you can choose any name you want within reason, meaning you can't call yourself Barack Hussein Obama or Mahatma Ghandi, but otherwise you have a full array of options.

Now . . . I did change my first and my last name at the naturalization stage. But guess what, that doesn't effect my old (German) name. The authorities in Germany give a rat's behind on what I would like to call myself. For them I am who I have always been, which is cool, as it opens the world to two passports with two different names. I see an advantage in keeping the Old World and the New World completely separate.

However, you don't even have that option. The moment you naturalize, you cease to be an Indian citizen and will have to surrender your Indian passport before applying for the fancy blue OCI stamp in your US passport.

Hence, my advise, wait until you become a US citizen (if you so desire) and afterward have your wife change her name to yours.

May the force be with you, always.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thank you for the replies. Justbob, will it cause a problem with my removal of conditions/naturalization etc if my wife changes her name now and

I change mine during naturalization? My wife wants to change her name now because she would like to establish a name earlier in her career.

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Now . . . I did change my first and my last name at the naturalization stage. But guess what, that doesn't effect my old (German) name. The authorities in Germany give a rat's behind on what I would like to call myself. For them I am who I have always been, which is cool, as it opens the world to two passports with two different names. I see an advantage in keeping the Old World and the New World completely separate.

Hi JustBob,

I will have the same "issue" once I change my name during Naturalization: 2 passports, 2 completely different names. Now, when you travel to Germany, which passport do/will you use? The name on the tickets will have to match the one on the passport as well, so if you book with your American name, you won't be able to use your German one upon arrival in Europe.. I'm just curious as to how this should be handled when the time comes :)

Thanks!

05/12/04 => Arrived in the US under L1 status / work visa

03/05/05 => Met the love of my life

07/02/07 => Married my wonderful USC husband

______AOS JOURNEY________________________________

10/03/08 => Package sent to USCIS

03/03/09 => Interview in Chicago, IL =>> APPROVED!

______REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY______________

12/03/10 => Package sent to California service center

03/02/11 => 10 YR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!

______CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY_________________________

01/20/12 => Filed N-400 for Citizenship

06/21/12 => Citizenship interview: Approved!

07/25/12 => Oath Ceremony.. DONE WITH USCIS!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.