jpidgley

Are visits to the US during the process allowed?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I visited as well, I am not sure it comes up in the CBP system that you have a K1 in process, they certainly never asked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's really interesting hearing everyone's border stories! I'm a Dutch citizen, permanent resident in Canada since 1990 (family immigrated when I was young) and I live in the Niagara region of Canada, and whenever I visit my fiance, I drive across the border into the States to fly out of Buffalo (it's closer than Toronto, and much cheaper to fly domestically!) To enter the States, I always need the 90 day tourist visa. Since we got our NOA1 (July 2010), I've crossed the border to either visit him or pick him up from the Buffalo airport 3 times, and have also crossed the border into the States to shop or whatever countless other times and I have only had a real hassle once (see story below). I think I was just getting too casual ;)

Whenever I cross now, I bring my contract/offer of employment and pay stub from my employer and my full itinerary (if I'm flying). When they ask me where I'm going and why, I always say, "I'm visiting my fiance. We've applied for a K1 visa." Usually I get asked, "Is he American? Where does he live?" Only once has there been a follow up question about the process: have you been approved yet? Other than that, I just get the standard border questions (how long? who are you with? are you bringing gifts or alcohol etc.). My advice is to get some proof you've got things to get back to at home, and go for a visit but don't be afraid to be honest. Assure the agent you are well aware of the rules and intend to follow them and not screw the whole thing up.

Worst border crossing experience yet: In August I was in the last month of writing a grad school thesis and was flying out to Seattle to stay with Eric for 3 weeks to finish it up and rest from a busy summer of work. Since I'd crossed the border about 15 or 20 times in the last 2 years, and hadn't faced any notable resistance to speak of, I was completely caught off guard when the border guard asked my landlord (I've roomed/boarded with him and his family for 7 years, they're my "Canadian parents") and I to please "exit the vehicle and come inside". After a 10 minute wait inside, while the new agent inspected my passport and discussed my boarding passes, I was called to the counter and more or less interrogated about my intentions. It was 4:30am and I was trying to cross the border with my passport, my tourist visa, and my boarding passes. What had sent up red flags for them was that I had said I *couldn't* print return tickets, because they weren't available yet - I meant the boarding passes you can print at home 24hrs before your flight, they thought I meant the itinerary. In their mind, I had no intention and absolutely no proof I had a return flight. Plus, I wasn't even driving my own car, and I had packed way too heavily (my bad!). The agent at the counter asked me about my job, my education, my plans for the future, etc while she read through every scrap of paper and piece of ID and membership card in my wallet, trying to trip me up. Eventually, she sent me to have a seat (I had a little cry - it was very stressful and very, very early!!) and then called me back up and said they had every right to turn me back but they'd let me through JUST THIS ONCE. She warned me very sternly that it was my responsibility to prove absolutely that I had no intention of overstaying my visa and gave me a list of valid evidence (like other poster have mentioned, bills, contracts, letters from work, landlords, or others proving that you're expected back for x responsibilities by y date).

Honestly, I was dumb for not even bringing a print out of my itinerary, but I've flown so often by now that what's on the boarding passes is enough to get me through the trip without any stress. Again, of all the times I've crossed the border, this was the first time I'd ever been asked for any of these things, and now that I bring everything I can whenever I cross, I've never, never been asked for this evidence since.

So, that's my story. If you're from a visa waiver program country, (like Holland), I suppose it's a little easier than not, but come prepared and be honest. The border guards see hundreds of people every day and don't want to make a hassle unless you give them a reason to (like not providing any proof you intend to leave their country like a good foreigner!).

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.