Chris M

Bridal Shower??? English classes???

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

MegaMillions is up to 237 million. I'll be playing Friday. If I win, I won't be a cheapskate, I'll be one of those dudes with a private jet and island home(s) crawling with bikini-clad RUB women.

I honestly don't know why my wife chose me other than the satisfaction she derives from our interludes. According to her, everything else is horrible.

My wife weaves some pretty good tales to folks. "Oh you like my accent? It's African. Before, I was Chinese spy in South Africa."

"But you're not Chinese...... nor African."

"And what?"

Ask them why they're married to an ugly old fat woman. Usually shuts 'em up pretty quick.

The idiots around here assume if you have AN accent (other than a New England or Boston Accent) you must be "French" as in Quebecois-French, not France-French :blink:

So the grocery clerk says to Alla "Ah, bonjour!" Vooowhat? "bonjour!" Vooowhat? "You are French, right?" No. "Oh, WHAT are you?" VoooWHAT am I? "Yes if you are not French, WHAT are you?" You mean to ask where I am from? "Yes". Australia. By now I am looking for some really sad story in the National Enquirer or something to keep me from busting out laughing. "do people talk like that in Australia?" I do.

OMG do I hear about this stuff...how stupid Americans are and how dare she say "What" are you, like I am trash or an animal or something. :rofl:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

MegaMillions is up to 237 million. I'll be playing Friday. If I win, I won't be a cheapskate, I'll be one of those dudes with a private jet and island home(s) crawling with bikini-clad RUB women.

I honestly don't know why my wife chose me other than the satisfaction she derives from our interludes. According to her, everything else is horrible.

My wife weaves some pretty good tales to folks. "Oh you like my accent? It's African. Before, I was Chinese spy in South Africa."

"But you're not Chinese...... nor African."

"And what?"

Ask them why they're married to an ugly old fat woman. Usually shuts 'em up pretty quick.

True story..one of Alla's top clients for interpretations is AALV, Association of Africans Living in Vermont. Turns out more than few of them speak Russian, particularly middle aged people from Angola or Congo. Seems the Soviets were providing crappy trucks and tractors to them AND Russian lessons. Who would have imagined? :lol: She also gets a few of her RUB clients through them as they are a community organization and will basically help anyone that asks (not too many African Americans here anyway) Word got around that they provided interpreters FREE. They pay Alla, but the client gets the service for free. She also interprets for Armenians, Georgians, Kazahks, etc. Anyone who can speak Russian, even if it isn't their primary language.

So maybe saying she is African is not so far fetched. :lol:

Gary And Alla

not too many African Americans here anyway

There are quite a few African Americans here so when my wife tells them she's African they really don't know what to think.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

These stories all sound so familiar. I had a Russian woman in my office last week and we were talking about accents and she told me that someone asked her once if she was Chinese. We laughed about that and wondered how many blonde Chinese women there are.

I had a client in my office a couple of years ago while I was playing a CD by Valerii Melagze (not spelled right I'm sure). While the CD played we talked. Then she asked me if I spoke Spanish. After wiping the look of astonishment off my face I calmly told her that she was listening to Russian.

That just proves my point that most Americans when they hear a foreign language, close their ears and don't try to listen or identify it.

As for me, when I speak my limited Russian, my wife just loves it. She says I speak soft Russian. :o

Most Americans don't even have a passport. The ones who do think "overseas" is Cancun.

My homey justashooter, who lived in China for many years, said there are some blonde Chinese girls although they weren't natural, of course. The girls would swarm him when he went to the salon because he had natural blonde hair.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

DO THE BRIDAL SHOWER!! (I don't mean to yell). Half of the fun of being with someone from another country is introducing them to our culture and vice versa so go ahead and let her be fussed over and such. Not to mention that she may get some great gifts and have a truly wonderful time. I say go for it, what is the worst that can happen?

The Rosetta Stone set works, but if possible get Version 4 (I don't know if it is available in Russian.) because you can have studio sessions with native speakers and play games. I'm using the Turkish and French Rosetta stone and it is not bad. The only drawback is that it does not teach you grammar so I have my grammar books on hand to look things up and keep a notebook at my side to keep notes. Like one of the above posters said, "He learns best in a classroom environment," so chances are he may not have the best experience with Rosetta Stone if he is not good with making time to sit for an hour plus.

Also, the OP's fiance's degree should be fine. As long as her transcripts and cv are translated, she should be ok.

:ot: Although I'm sad that some of you don't like us Amurrican women, don't give up on us. Poor OP, I bet he is thinking, "#######? I just wanted to know if I should throw a bridal shower."

Wedding: 7/10/2010

I-130 Sent: 10/08/2010

NOA 1: 10/20/2010

Touched: 10/26/2010

NOA2: 2/10/2011

NVC: 3/6/2011 approx.

No I-864, DS-230 Notification NVC says download files

Emailed Agent form: Response Confirming Change Arrived the Next Day

Mailed I-864 Package: 4/2/2011, Arrived 4/4/2011

DS-230 Received: 4/19/2011

RFE: 5/3/2011, emailed documents same day, email confirmation 5/4/2011

NVC Case Complete: 5/20/2011 (approx. called NVC and they said it was complete so don't know exact date)

Email with Instructions: 5/27/2011

Interview scheduled: 7/14/2011

Consulate had to reschedule, new interview 7/20/2011

APPROVED 7/20/2011

Timeline

DO THE BRIDAL SHOWER!! (I don't mean to yell). Half of the fun of being with someone from another country is introducing them to our culture and vice versa so go ahead and let her be fussed over and such. Not to mention that she may get some great gifts and have a truly wonderful time. I say go for it, what is the worst that can happen?

The Rosetta Stone set works, but if possible get Version 4 (I don't know if it is available in Russian.) because you can have studio sessions with native speakers and play games. I'm using the Turkish and French Rosetta stone and it is not bad. The only drawback is that it does not teach you grammar so I have my grammar books on hand to look things up and keep a notebook at my side to keep notes. Like one of the above posters said, "He learns best in a classroom environment," so chances are he may not have the best experience with Rosetta Stone if he is not good with making time to sit for an hour plus.

Also, the OP's fiance's degree should be fine. As long as her transcripts and cv are translated, she should be ok.

:ot: Although I'm sad that some of you don't like us Amurrican women, don't give up on us. Poor OP, I bet he is thinking, "#######? I just wanted to know if I should throw a bridal shower."

If we do not give up on American women our RUB wives will bite us until we are dead. While we all still desire the exotic, exciting and fun-to-be-with American woman, we are good loyal husbands and fiances :P

I am not at all offended you chose a foreign man for your husband.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. Bridal shower, or no bridal shower? Simple question, and I opened a can of worms.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. Bridal shower, or no bridal shower? Simple question, and I opened a can of worms.

"Should I throw a bridal shower?" No. Why not? A bridal or baby shower is a request for gifts and presents from female friends and relatives that takes place in a party setting. Men are supposed to stay out of this process, if you follow tradition. Do you think your fiancee is going to arrange for a bachelor's party for you?

You want to give her a welcome to America party? Your call. We aren't in a position to judge the wisdom of that. You're a big boy, make a decision.

Or go over to the Turkey Forum for better advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just have a party! You'll see that she knows how to do that and all parties with friends and family end of being the same.....there is no cultural difference.

That is really overblown, as you will see.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Just have a party! You'll see that she knows how to do that and all parties with friends and family end of being the same.....there is no cultural difference.

That is really overblown, as you will see.

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Just like no engagement ring... no bridal shower.

However, if you mom and sisters want to take her out or hook up some kind of party for her, that's all on them. If you think she'll be comfortable speaking English with them for a few hours and won't be mad at you for "dumping her off with your female relatives while you go out and have fun" (because that's always what you're doing when she's not enjoying herself) then let them have at it.

I'm all for the "you're in America now so it's time to do American stuff" but it's never been the groom's job to organize a bridal shower for his bride, especially with a bunch of women she doesn't even know.

Русский форум член.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I know my wife is shy around Americans and is uncomfortable dealing with lots of English spoken around her. So a party for her was not a good idea. That's why I don't think we can offer much help with your questions. We don't know her nature and adaptive skills. She may be shy or outgoing. You are the sole person who can make some judgments about your fiancee's potential reaction to having a party...whatever name you choose to call it. And even you may still have a lot to learn about her once she gets here. I certainly did with my wife.

Timeline

There is no can of worms. Just people that can't mind their own business and have to cruise other forums to look for trouble. I imagine the entire membership of the Turkey forum is being encouraged to come over here and apologize for American women or some such thing. I am proud to say RUB forum members never feel any such compunction to scold American women in the MENA forum, for example, for marrying foreign men. :lol: I never figgured ths out. I have no desire whatever to go to the forums obviously dominated by female USCs and scolding them for marrying foreign men or making assumptions about their fathers. I mean, what gives with that? I do wish more of the foreign men would do their duty as men, like us RUB guys do, and bring their new wife to their country.

I agree with those that say "have a party" if you want to introduce her to the "neighborhood" Alla wanted no such introduction. She met my family at the Thanksgiving holiday two months after she arrived. We are grown ups, we don't need anyone to buy us gifts, besides it was probably her greatest life adventure to do all the shopping to outfit my bachelor pad with woman type things. I think she learned more about our culture doing all that shopping. :lol:

"Should I throw a bridal shower?" No. Why not? A bridal or baby shower is a request for gifts and presents from female friends and relatives that takes place in a party setting. Men are supposed to stay out of this process, if you follow tradition. Do you think your fiancee is going to arrange for a bachelor's party for you?

You want to give her a welcome to America party? Your call. We aren't in a position to judge the wisdom of that. You're a big boy, make a decision.

Or go over to the Turkey Forum for better advice.

:rofl:

Gary And Alla

I have to say +1 for a simple pre-wedding party/get-together (guys & gals). This way your there, and she can ask you questions and doesn't freek out. Comfortable and casual ftw.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.