Fofochinho73

Waiting in Brazil!? Help!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I filed for the K-1 in late September and don't want to wait any longer. I am planning on moving to Brazil to wait this out there. I have lots of questions regarding this. If we decided to get married in Brazil could we still use the K-1 and just get married once we got here? Is this risky? Are there any other options that could be quicker? I have read a little about the DCF and K-3 options but they seem expensive and maybe even harder. All the info y'all can give is great! VJ rocks...

Anyone know about some employment options in Brasil? I speak fluent Portuguese, but the last time I was there I was a missionary. Therefore I don't really know much about the working world there. So many questions...

THANKS!!! Obrigado!!! Gracias!!!

09/21/10 - I-129F Sent!

09/23/10 - I-129F Received in Dallas, TX

09/28/10 - Text & E-mail NOA1 (It was at 12:44AM, weird) Notification that our case was transferred to VSC.

09/29/10 - Check cashed

09/30/10 - NOA-1 Hard Copy dated Sep. 27, 2010

10/03/10 - TOUCH!

After numerous calls to USCIS, my two Texas Senators and a Congressman, the latter got an "expedite" put through (if you can call a month and a week after ONPT an expedite). Just never let up! Even though mine took way too long, there were people who were a month before me and waited longer because they just sat back and watched. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

03/31/11 - NOA-2!

04/05/11 - Received NOA-2 hard copy.

04/07/11 - NVC Received

04/12/11 - Case left NVC via DHL

04/14/11 - Consulate Received Hard Copy of Case

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can only be married once, either there or in USA, if married there, you will NO LONGER BE FIANCEES and the K-1 will be NULL and VOID. K-1 is for fiancees NOT MARRIED people..

You can always have a "Ceremony" as long as local authorities do not consider it to be a LEGAL marriage, in some places even a symbolic marriage is considered to be LEGALLY BINDING and US Law considers this to be MARRIED.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I filed for the K-1 in late September and don't want to wait any longer. I am planning on moving to Brazil to wait this out there. I have lots of questions regarding this. If we decided to get married in Brazil could we still use the K-1 and just get married once we got here? Is this risky? Are there any other options that could be quicker? I have read a little about the DCF and K-3 options but they seem expensive and maybe even harder. All the info y'all can give is great! VJ rocks...

Anyone know about some employment options in Brasil? I speak fluent Portuguese, but the last time I was there I was a missionary. Therefore I don't really know much about the working world there. So many questions...

THANKS!!! Obrigado!!! Gracias!!!

Once you are married, you can no longer use the K1. My advice would be to wait out the K1 process. Our NOA2 took 5 months to arrive, so you probably have around another 2 months or so plus another month for the interview. I know it seems like forever, but 3 months compared to starting all over with the CR1 or DCF isn't really too bad. DCF requires 6 months of living in Brasil, so if you are planning on coming here to live, that would add more time to your waiting even though you would already be married. A tourist visa to Brasil allows you to stay 90 days only, so you would have to look into extending that or getting a spousal visa (once you are married). I have heard that both marriage and spousal visas in Brasil are very complicated. When I saw that our process was going to take longer than I had imagined, I went down and spent a month with my fiance in Brasil. It was a great experience and a great time of getting to know each other better. I was still able to keep our K1 process open and "matar as saudades" at the same time. If you are able to spend the full 90 days there, even better for you. Maybe by then you will already have an answer from USCIS. Think about all your options because you don't want to just leave everything here in the US simply based on not wanting to wait any longer to be together. Having lived in Brasil as a missionary myself, I can tell you that it is a very different experience being there as simply a tourist or to be with your fiance. Remember that moving there would be permanent (at least until you can apply for CR1 or DCF) and you would be likely starting over again here. If you would like to PM me, I can give you more information. I love Brasil, and I am sure I could be happy living there, but I am glad I got a chance to spend time there engaged in something other than missionary work because it gave me a more realistic perspective of every day life. Good luck with your decision either way and best wishes for a speedy process.

event.png

Timeline

Thanks for the replies! I have been back twice in the past year just to visit. We really don't want to wait apart anymore and are considering eloping. We are young and neither of us have much, but together with nothing and struggling with life is much better than going at it alone. This process is crazy! They don't give you anything to plan around, nothing to go on but a five month estimate that they can't even complete! What kind of impression is our country giving to others. Neither my fiance nor I can stand to sit around and wait with no kind of hint or anything. We applied for a tourist visa for her which was promptly denied because we told the truth and explained that we are in the process of the K-1. They simply told her to wait. Thanks for the vent...

09/21/10 - I-129F Sent!

09/23/10 - I-129F Received in Dallas, TX

09/28/10 - Text & E-mail NOA1 (It was at 12:44AM, weird) Notification that our case was transferred to VSC.

09/29/10 - Check cashed

09/30/10 - NOA-1 Hard Copy dated Sep. 27, 2010

10/03/10 - TOUCH!

After numerous calls to USCIS, my two Texas Senators and a Congressman, the latter got an "expedite" put through (if you can call a month and a week after ONPT an expedite). Just never let up! Even though mine took way too long, there were people who were a month before me and waited longer because they just sat back and watched. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

03/31/11 - NOA-2!

04/05/11 - Received NOA-2 hard copy.

04/07/11 - NVC Received

04/12/11 - Case left NVC via DHL

04/14/11 - Consulate Received Hard Copy of Case

event.png

Timeline

Hi there,

Same boat here more or less.... I've been traveling to Brazil see my fiance for over 18 months, there about every 2 or 3 months for about 3-4 weeks. We tried the tourist visa route also, denied...so we are now waiting for the K1 approval. I suggest being patient, get the K1, then get married after. Remember, it's not guaranteed to get this visa, so have a plan B. You will be hard pressed finding a job in Brasil, it's very competitive even for the local skilled workers, and the pay does not compare to U.S. If you need to work, don't go there thinking you will find something. This waiting is tough, but good will come of it for both of you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.