Don&Julie

December Filers

2,635 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We're going to do the courthouse thing to make sure that we follow the rules of the visa, but we're not going to have any type of party or anything until May when we'll have our "real" wedding in Mexico so that his family can be there too.

I've been trying to find Mexican customs (Emilio doesn't know any lol... men!) but I think it's probably going to be pretty "American" in terms of customs. We're trying to figure out how to incorporate both languages into the ceremony though so that both families can understand what's going on. AND since the wedding is going to be in Mexico we're not registering anywhere because we don't want people to have to lug down gifts, and we don't want to have to lug them back into the US after the wedding!

We're avoiding sending out any type of announcement for the civil ceremony in the U.S. because I want as many people as possible to come to the "wedding" in Mexico and I just feel like if they have a chance to acknowledge it beforehand and not have to travel to Mexico, they won't come :( lol But we did send out "save the month" cards since we don't have an exact date picked out yet, I wanted to give everyone as much time as possible to plan a vacation to Cancun.

I think there are a lot of small details you can incorporate, like the colorful ribbons sewn into your 'undergarments' or the 13 gold coins thing. I'm not sure where these come from but you can google Mexican wedding customs and they should be there somewhere. One I don't like is the Lasso of the bride, that one seems a bit barbaric to me, I haven't seen anyone do this in real life but definitely on random telemundo shows. (LOL)

Alternatively, even though it is a little kid thing, I've had friends do a pinata at their wedding for the kids, grown ups also like money and candy so it could be for all ages? If you're not having kids maybe you can do a pinata filled with alcoholic chocolates?

A friend recently had a 'hacienda' style wedding and mariachis were a definite crowd pleaser. They also did cacti for center pieces and had maracas on each table, so instead of hitting the glass when we wanted them to kiss we shook the maracas. That was fun.

Since you'll be in Mexico, Mexican food of course- wedding cookies, bunuelos and tequila are all in order! Maybe you could have a tequila connoisseur bar- you can get a variety of amazing flavored tequilas for reasonable prices in Cancun.

Also, for destination weddings never underestimate the powers of the welcome bag! Welcome bags for your out of town guests are great ways to give info on local attractions and to incorporate unique give aways (even post cards are good favors for destination weddings!)

Hope you find some meaningful ways to incorporate both your cultures. (F)

Edited by wendie and sam

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-07

Touched: 2010-12-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought that was the plan.... we all get to go through the Visa Journey process together! Our K1 doesn't stop at the NOA2 anyhow and I really hope we all hang for a long long time. I can't wait to see the wedding pics on here or even little Decemberite Mini's! :whistle:

Yes! I hope our friendship won't end after our Visa Journey!

I love you guys!

"Great thing happens for those who waits"

I think what will happen is we will all move to the AOS Forum :)

So...who's gonna do the timeline? Not me!!! lol After NOA2 I quit the Timeline! lol

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

CONGRATULATIONS NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated 4.13.2011

VSC:

fdsfg5.png

CSC:

9j37s3.png

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I think what will happen is we will all move to the AOS Forum :)

So...who's gonna do the timeline? Not me!!! lol After NOA2 I quit the Timeline! lol

Diz,

I'm going to inquire with Capt Ewok how we can incorp our Dec Thread over to AOS... Maybe change the Thread Name to Decemberites 2010 AOS? Does this mean everytime we go one step further, we change forums??? What a pain in the A$$. Like moving house.

However, we can move and leave one last post: "WE MOVED TO AOS... here is our forwarding link Addy! <leave the link?>

Sheesh, lol I hate moving!!!

Mari

PS: You are the master of the Timeline Diz! Pullllleeeeeezzzzzzzzzze? LOL LOL :rofl:

sparkling-usa-flag.gifMarivalentine60.gifKadir Turkey%20flag-L-anim.gif

Timeline

UPDATE:

I just went to check AOS and we cannot have "December 2010 AOS filers' as we'll get confused with those who have filed AOS last Dec.

WE CAN HAVE:

DECEMBERITE FAMILY DIGS: AOS 2011

I don't think we'll lose anybody in the move if we go with "Decemberite Family" and since all of us will file AOS 2011 ... we'll tack that on for clarity.

Everybody kewl with this?

love you all!

Mari

EDIT: Maybe we shouldn't put the year?! What are the chances of any of us not AOS in 2011? Slim to none right? [hope & pray!!!]

What if our Title is: Decemberite Family Digs: AOS and BEYOND!

ahem... The Toys are Back in Town!!!!

Edited by Mari & Kadir

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

UPDATE:

I just went to check AOS and we cannot have "December 2010 AOS filers' as we'll get confused with those who have filed AOS last Dec.

WE CAN HAVE:

DECEMBERITE FAMILY DIGS: AOS 2011

I don't think we'll lose anybody in the move if we go with "Decemberite Family" and since all of us will file AOS 2011 ... we'll tack that on for clarity.

Everybody kewl with this?

love you all!

Mari

EDIT: Maybe we shouldn't put the year?! What are the chances of any of us not AOS in 2011? Slim to none right? [hope & pray!!!]

What if our Title is: Decemberite Family Digs: AOS and BEYOND!

ahem... The Toys are Back in Town!!!!

Where's the "Like" button? :D

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

What is a like buttom?

Matt_B and I&H both got their NOA2 yesterday!!!

:rofl:

It's a Facebook thing...when you agree with something someone has written, you can "Like" it. I think this site needs it, although, on some forums, a "Dislike" button would get a lot more action.

I crack myself up.

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's a Facebook thing...when you agree with something someone has written, you can "Like" it. I think this site needs it, although, on some forums, a "Dislike" button would get a lot more action.

I crack myself up.

OHH there totally is a "like" button on VJ!! If you notice at the bottom of each post there is a gree + symbol in the bottom right corner along with a number box. When you push the green plus symbol (and are logged in) it will change the number from 0 to 1 or 2 or 3... depending on how many likes you can have.

Although I'm not clear what the limit is, since I found that button I've been liking posts left and right..the other day it said I got to my "like limit" and had to wait till the next day to continue liking stuff. hahaha... I broke the like button on VJ. classic.

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-07

Touched: 2010-12-13

OHH there totally is a "like" button on VJ!! If you notice at the bottom of each post there is a gree + symbol in the bottom right corner along with a number box. When you push the green plus symbol (and are logged in) it will change the number from 0 to 1 or 2 or 3... depending on how many likes you can have.

Although I'm not clear what the limit is, since I found that button I've been liking posts left and right..the other day it said I got to my "like limit" and had to wait till the next day to continue liking stuff. hahaha... I broke the like button on VJ. classic.

I didn't know this info.. AMAZING!!! :wow: I think it's super cool!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Updated 4.13.2011

VSC:

fdsfg5.png

CSC:

9j37s3.png

I was wondering if the country of the beneficiary can be included in the spreadsheet info? I have a specific reason for asking if interested...I won't go into it now.

Maybe the country could be abbreviated to conserve space.

Regards

∞♥

Our Visa Journey

09/06/11 - Home!

09/24/11 - Married

tarsier.jpgpalms.jpgmmf.jpgch.jpgnv.jpgpalm.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations to all these NOA2s!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: (I love that little guy!!)

Hey y'all!

So... after we all get our NOA2s... can we still try to come back here and post wedding pics and go through AOS together? :) I might not be super-active, but I love having this group, and would love to see pictures of all the fantastic weddings that we'll be having in the next... well... 6-8 months? Or less, for some of us?

Also, is anyone else planning on eloping at the courthouse or with a justice of the peace, then having a big ceremony later? How American are your wedding plans? How much of the immigrant spouse's culture are you bringing into the wedding? Have you registered yet?

Well as you know Kristen, I won't be having my wedding until next may! :( booo. With things how they are I know it was the best choice for us but I am still bummed not to be having our wedding this year. I hope you'll all stick around in the thread to see my wedding photos!

We'll be going to the courthouse to satisfy visa requirements, but we are not going to make a big deal out of that. We're going to have our May wedding as if we did not do the courthouse ceremony. I don't know if I'll even feel really married until the wedding, and I will not be wearing my wedding band until after our wedding. Perhaps I'm being stubborn, but our wedding day is the day we are married and thats that as far as anyone is concerned! hahah.

Our wedding is very American, there's not a lot of significant or particularly Canadian culture things when it comes to weddings.

event.png

Timeline

Congratulations to all these NOA2s!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: (I love that little guy!!)

Well as you know Kristen, I won't be having my wedding until next may! :( booo. With things how they are I know it was the best choice for us but I am still bummed not to be having our wedding this year. I hope you'll all stick around in the thread to see my wedding photos!

We'll be going to the courthouse to satisfy visa requirements, but we are not going to make a big deal out of that. We're going to have our May wedding as if we did not do the courthouse ceremony. I don't know if I'll even feel really married until the wedding, and I will not be wearing my wedding band until after our wedding. Perhaps I'm being stubborn, but our wedding day is the day we are married and thats that as far as anyone is concerned! hahah.

Our wedding is very American, there's not a lot of significant or particularly Canadian culture things when it comes to weddings.

Christine! Of course we're hangin' out... didn't you see the AOS name? "DECEMBERITE FAMILY DIGS: AOS and BEYOND" ... means, for a long while! You know how long it takes after we do that thing and the steps after that? So no worries OK? We gonna see all our pics if we post 'em on our thread.

K and I are having small wedding and like Wendles, we're incorporating his Turkish culture; Turk /Morrocan lanterns on the tables, belly dancer (his side) and a hula dancer (my side) and Turk food at the rehearsal party, Yankee plated dinner at the reception. I've been looking at the save the date /invites styles...really can't find what I'm looking for yet though. I'd like some Mediterranean Iznik kind of flowery design on our wedding cake done up in gold on white... this is an Iznik flower pattern / design pic:

An-Iznik-Pottery-Square-Border-Tile--Circa-1560-Christie-s-Images-212597.jpg probably cost me a fortune for a bakery to do that. Unless I keep watching Cake Boss and figure out a way to get a stencil from Turkey and have my bakery copy by airbrushing on the artwork onto the fondant. I do not like the taste of fondant; like a yucky waxy bland thick paste! ach. I had it at a friend's wedding and it was gross. This is what I get as I have a love for frosting and I took a big ugly mouthful... omg, I couldn't spit it out! LOL LOL LOL Maybe it was just their baker's fault.

Other than that Turkish traditions: they do your henna party, they tie a red ribbon on your waist at your reception (youth, present and mature blessing in your life), they dance -- a lot to traditional music, and they always bless the bride and groom with the 2 kiss each cheek thing when they present the bride with gold jewelry or the groom with money; no gifts like toasters from registries.

Love ya!

Mari

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.