ilmabella

Applying for N-400, Maiden name & Marriage name advice needed PLS!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of applying for Naturalization.

However, my passport has my maiden name on it (since its not time to renew it yet) and all my other documents (DL, GC, etc..) have my married name on it. I have absolutely no problem traveling outside the US or with custom border officers, as long as tickets and passport have my maiden name, GC with married name... Do you think it would be a problem if I apply for N-400? If that is the case, how can I fix it before applying for Nat...? Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline

No.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

it's no problem at all,you can traval any place you want to with your green card , if you do traval take your marriage certificate, just thay ask for it to show your married name matches your permenent resident card,any way after your n-400 oath ceremony go and get your us citizenship passport,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

No, it wont be a problem...because it asks on the N400 form anyways if you have ever gone by any other names. I had four variations of my name due to previous marriage and hyphenation/combination of names that I had to list. They just simply ask you at interview time what other names you have gone by to confirm what you out on the application is true. One of my names was my maiden name.

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It is not a problem. Happens all the time.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Marriage certificate is all that is needed for a name change with the USCIS, everything dealing with the USA is in her married name. Traveling is a different issue, while we buy our tickets here with her married name, her passport shows her maiden name she needs to get into her home country. Way too much redtape and money to change it, mostly money, so then she becomes my girlfriend. We bring along our marriage certificate just in case, but never had to show it. She also needs her foreign country ID with her passport.

If you think dealing with the USCIS is crazy, tossing in a couple of foreign countries with their crazy regulations and outrageous charges is insane.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Thanks everyone!!!

I wish you all the best of luck, if you're applying for naturalization!

Mmmmm.... I'm not applying for naturalization anymore, so... you don't wish me any of your best luck ??

:devil:

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.