tryhy1

Revoking US Citizenship

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

So the child of a Moroccan born anywhere in the world is automatically a Moroccan citizen without having to apply for Moroccan citizenship ?

How does Morocco know who it's citizens are giving birth to in other countries ?

does not compute

I don't know, I think very often the parents want to continue the tradition and ask for it. But this article makes you think twice before going there.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Timeline

See... this is a guaranteed way when you want your citizenship to be taken away... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40389899/ns/us_news-security/

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So the child of a Moroccan born anywhere in the world is automatically a Moroccan citizen without having to apply for Moroccan citizenship ?

How does Morocco know who it's citizens are giving birth to in other countries ?

does not compute

The law is similar in Egypt, too. But unless the country of birth grants citizenships based on birth, Egyptians (and similarly Moroccans) notify their embassy to produce an Egyptian passport for their newborn. I wasnt born in Egypt and my country of birth doesn't grant citizenships so easily. But if my parents never applied for a passport for me, I doubt that Egypt will know i even exist. In a country like Egypt, a foreign woman can easily become a citizen after marriage to an Egyptian for 3 years and speaking Arabic. But it's impossible for a foreign man to ever become Egyptian. I know of an indian family who settled in Egypt, and they have 2nd generation kids who know nothing about India yet don't have an Egyptian passport.

It's similar to someone born with American parents overseas. I know someone who has american parent yet doesn't have ( or i think doesnt even care for) having a US passport. She's born in france and her parents settled there. And she can simply file N600 for her rights for US citizenship to be recognized.

Finally, i have some colleagues who are from Latin america but with Italian passports due to their italian ancestry. They're dual citizens yet their parents chose for their kids to have EU passports to have better benefits.

It's funny how alot of Americans (especially USCIS) assume you're a citizen of the country of birth. But I guess they can somewhat justified due to the fact that you can easily change your country of citizenship, but you can never change your place of birth. So they recognize your birth place as your identity instead of some government issued document stating you're that country's citizen.

I'm a huge fan of diversity :)

Edited by Okalian

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Other Timeline

My point exactly. "Some" people here on VJ constantly point out what a PITA it is that their US passport reflects their place of birth. Tell you what, and it's true: my grandpa was Danish, my dad Swedish, my mom German, and I could have been born in Vietnam. That still doesn't mean that this 6'6" tall man with blond hair and blue eyes (also true) would be mistaken for a Vietnamese citizen, just because his US passport (soon!) would read "Saigon" as his place of birth?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

My point exactly. "Some" people here on VJ constantly point out what a PITA it is that their US passport reflects their place of birth. Tell you what, and it's true: my grandpa was Danish, my dad Swedish, my mom German, and I could have been born in Vietnam. That still doesn't mean that this 6'6" tall man with blond hair and blue eyes (also true) would be mistaken for a Vietnamese citizen, just because his US passport (soon!) would read "Saigon" as his place of birth?

As a matter of fact, it only mentions the country. Mine says Belgium, nothing else.

Naturalization Journey

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't know, I think very often the parents want to continue the tradition and ask for it. But this article makes you think twice before going there.

I nearly died (literally) when the Saudis would not grant me an exit visa - I was living on green bananas and water (only) for 6 weeks and being seriously threatened on a daily basis- and I was told to lay on the floor and kiss their feet if I wanted an exit visa

I never go anywhere that requires an exit visa

I never go anywhere in that region of the world.

When I go east, my boundary is Munich.

US/UK/Europe/OZ/NZ/Canada - that's my world now.

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I nearly died (literally) when the Saudis would not grant me an exit visa - I was living on green bananas and water (only) for 6 weeks and being seriously threatened on a daily basis- and I was told to lay on the floor and kiss their feet if I wanted an exit visa

I never go anywhere that requires an exit visa

I never go anywhere in that region of the world.

When I go east, my boundary is Munich.

US/UK/Europe/OZ/NZ/Canada - that's my world now.

Caracas only hits you for $167.00 for an exit tax at the airport and you really don't have to kiss anyone's feet, just empty your wallet. Oh, and don't drink the water.

Timeline

Caracas only hits you for $167.00 for an exit tax at the airport and you really don't have to kiss anyone's feet, just empty your wallet. Oh, and don't drink the water.

I stopped off in Turkey for a few hours and they charged me a one year visa fee !

Actually I cut across the southern tip of Switzerland on my motorbike when I was going from Heidelburg to NICE and they charged me one year's road tax

So they can get stuffed too

Johnny foreigner - wouldn't put anything past him

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I stopped off in Turkey for a few hours and they charged me a one year visa fee !

Actually I cut across the southern tip of Switzerland on my motorbike when I was going from Heidelburg to NICE and they charged me one year's road tax

So they can get stuffed too

Johnny foreigner - wouldn't put anything past him

Ha, if they charged to enter, nobody would go there. Caracas did accept Bolivars at the current exchange rate at 4.3 VEF equals a buck. We were able to sell our bucks for 21.5 VEF so got by with $33.40 to leave that place. Good thing my wife knew about it, most tourists don't, like the people ahead of us in line, they were somewhat annoyed, not very well advertised.

Timeline

Ha, if they charged to enter, nobody would go there. Caracas did accept Bolivars at the current exchange rate at 4.3 VEF equals a buck. We were able to sell our bucks for 21.5 VEF so got by with $33.40 to leave that place. Good thing my wife knew about it, most tourists don't, like the people ahead of us in line, they were somewhat annoyed, not very well advertised.

Actually, when people come on VJ and fall on the floor weeping and praying to god and giving thanks that they have become US Citizens, I can understand it, given some of the places they have come from.

Us folks from both the 1st world and civilized countries cannot see what all the fuss is about - but if I came from some of those places I would be down there grovelling in gratitude with the grovelliest...

I am suitably grateful for bigger parking spaces and less rain, but I was actually allowed to vote in the old country and my siblings were not raped twice a week by bands of illiterate police - so although I will be celebrating and vigorously waving my US flag on Thursday, my eyes won't roll over backwards and my tongue pop out and my legs give way with uncontrolled ecstasy like some.

I will use my first aid skills if it happens to any of my fellow swearers and assure them that it isn't a dream.

moresheep400100.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When interviewing for my K-1 in London, the first CO asked for my French birth certificate. All I had was my British Consular Record of Birth. It's all I've ever had, to the best of my knowledge. I nearly died on the spot and he disappeared to ask if that was sufficient. It apparently was.

The French have a 'Carnet de Familie' or a 'Family Folder' and every birth, death and marriage is recorded in there, or something along those lines. Both my parents are British and have only ever been so. My Dad was working for an American paper, contracted out of England and I had no right to French citizenship, until I had lived there for 5 or 6 years.

And it's not just the Americans who think that you are whatever you were born in, nationality-wise. Got sick to the teeth of hearing 'So you're French?' in England, when people asked where I'm from. Ridiculous question really, what does it matter? I learnt to just say, 'Mam's from Newcastle, Dad's from Lincolnshire and I've lived in London for the past xyz years.'

And Bob, OMG I'd raise funds to see someone change their name to one of those! lol

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.