Usman&Saman

Delay interview until after 3 year anniversary?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

We applied for citizenship 80 days before the 3 yr anniversary from the greencard 'resident since' date. The process has moved pretty fast so we just got the interview letter about a month after applying. However the interview is 2 weeks before the 3 yr anniversary(so technically can't get citizenship then). I read some of the posts here that folks were told in interview that they couldn't be approved for citizenship right away(if they interviewed before 3 yr anniv), and then maybe got oath ceremonies much later, possibly, although I'm not sure if that's true or not?

Any advice on potentially trying to move the interview date until after 3 yr anniversary and if that will be any use at all? Would appreciate the advice...thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

No advice from me, but thank you for this topic. I didn't even expect this would be an issue so now I know that this is a risk. Thank you again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

No advice from me, but thank you for this topic. I didn't even expect this would be an issue so now I know that this is a risk. Thank you again.

just to be clear I'm not even sure the potential delay is a real phenomenon but it's something that seemed to pop up anecdotally in a couple of other threads(although I'm being very unscientific about it) . Just wanted to get people's opinions if they saw any effect in the past and perhaps if it would be better to ask for a later interview.

I have no personal experience where citizenship is concerned about interviewing before the exact three months, however a girlfriend had her Adjustment of Status 2 weeks prior to her 2 year wedding anniversary and the IO told her she would approve it a couple days after the anniversary date ... because if not, she would have gotten a 2 year conditional green card, but instead... after waiting... she got approved for the 10 year... SO I am assuming you may just have to wait to be approved after the full 3 years.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

According to what I have read around here and other forums, If you pass your interview on the given date, then you cant be approved if the date is before the 3 or 5 year anniversary. So what happens is the following, the officer will say that you are approved but he cannot approve you that day for the obvious reason. So he will approve it on the day your time required is fulfilled. Then after the time required has passed, he approves and then an oath date is given to you. Then you should receive the letter in the mail for the oath. In my opinion I believe you shouldnt change the interview date, cause you may end up waiting more time that 2 weeks required for your anniversary. The time from the anniversary date till you receive the letter depends on the local office to you. Good Luck and this is just my opinion based on my readings.

I suggest you NOT try to delay the interview as that will put you in the back of the line possibly months away. Go to the interview and once you pass, they'll approve you in 2 weeks time. Make sure to get the officer's name so you can contact him/her after your 3 year anniversary and make sure you're in line for oath ceremony.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

All that will happen is you will get a paper that a decision cannot be made and that is only due to the fact that you are not within the 3 years. You will technically be approved but will not officially get the document. Go to the interview and get it taken care of. You will anyway have to wait for the oath letter, which will come in the mail after your 3rd year anniversary.

good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

All that will happen is you will get a paper that a decision cannot be made and that is only due to the fact that you are not within the 3 years. You will technically be approved but will not officially get the document. Go to the interview and get it taken care of. You will anyway have to wait for the oath letter, which will come in the mail after your 3rd year anniversary.

good luck!

v33k is spot on right ! Except that I got an approval notice same day.

I had my interview 11 days before my anniversary date.

So the ceremony letter was held up until after the anniversary date and I got it last week - a few days after the anniversary date

If the USCIS make a mistake and arrange a ceremony BEFORE the anniversary date (it has happened) - call them and delay it because the Naturalization will be illegal

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.