tom&tanya

Learning English

136 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It took me about a year or two to start to really hear the short-cuts she sometimes used. For example..."muntz" instead of "months", "hellsy" instead of "healthy" etc. I call her on them all the time now and she laughs when I catch her. "Did you just say xxxxx? I'm not familiar with that..."

I actually hate correcting her, because a little more of that magic fades the better she gets at English.

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

It took me about a year or two to start to really hear the short-cuts she sometimes used. For example..."muntz" instead of "months", "hellsy" instead of "healthy" etc. I call her on them all the time now and she laughs when I catch her. "Did you just say xxxxx? I'm not familiar with that..."

I actually hate correcting her, because a little more of that magic fades the better she gets at English.

Have you ever seen her writing?

My wife will spell just about everything exactly as it sounds. Sometimes I have to decode text messages.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife will spell just about everything exactly as it sounds. Sometimes I have to decode text messages.

The past couple of days have been especially trying with this one. Anna is now applying for jobs and filling out applications on her own... Of course I'm going over them and it can be quite "cryptic". :P I feel like I did the whole application after awhile since you can't use simple English words for some of her Banking experience and training in Russia.

Teaching students on Bank law, Bank organizational management, Estimating customer credit worthiness

Organization of short-term business training for managers

Checking students research for their final degree

This took me hours to figure out exactly what she did and then how to say it on the application. Two things I'm not good at: Russian language and Banking terminology.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Timeline

The past couple of days have been especially trying with this one. Anna is now applying for jobs and filling out applications on her own... Of course I'm going over them and it can be quite "cryptic". :P I feel like I did the whole application after awhile since you can't use simple English words for some of her Banking experience and training in Russia.

Teaching students on Bank law, Bank organizational management, Estimating customer credit worthiness

Organization of short-term business training for managers

Checking students research for their final degree

This took me hours to figure out exactly what she did and then how to say it on the application. Two things I'm not good at: Russian language and Banking terminology.

When Alla arrived, it was before the changes in the I-9 and she was able to work right away, or at least get away with it. She wanted a "small job" since her class load was light and she wanted to get acclimated and work with Americans and speak with natives, etc. She was applying for jobs in clothing stores and cosmetics counters. She would pick up the applications, bring them home, fill them out in excrutiating detail, attach a 3 page resume of all her credentials and experience in international business...and never hear from the places again.

Finally I said, "lets go to the mall together." She went in and got applications and brought them to me. I filled them out with basic information and handed them back. I think it was about the third store she came out with a w-4 form, I-9 and some other papers and said "What is it? they said to fill this out and bring it back" I said "You are hired! Those are tax documents, they do not give them to you if they are not hiring you" If she is applying for simple jobs, keep it simple. They are intimidated by attractive women as it is, and when they come into a shop with a resume that seems like they should be applying to be the CEO, I think it blows them out of the water. Do not underestimate the resistance that they receive because they are immigrants, have an accent and are very attractive. Alla always hopes a man will interview her. :P

Her writing for her classes has gone way beyond the basic and is very complicated and sometimes I do not even understand what she is writing about and not because she is using the wrong the words. The charm of that is gone. There are occasional spelling mistakes. Occasional misuse of articles and that is about it. She also will occasionaly make up a word, do not ask me to remember one now, but I will say "I understand what you are saying but it is not a word!" She will say "It should be, it is a good word". :lol: Kind of like George Bush's word "strategery"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

now applying for jobs

This was only one step down on the stress meter from teaching my wife to drive.

I remember going to a few places with her and assisting while she filled out applications. My wife wasn't bad with the words but she insisted on writing things where they didn't go. She'd write in the margins or put info in the incorrect boxes - not where it was supposed to go, but wherever she wanted it to go. "Because I not want write zis stuff here! For me looks better like zis!" Uh, dear, you may want to write your education backround in the education section, not in the margins next to references. "Shut up, durak."

I stopped taking her after a few days and said, "hey, I'll drop you off but I'm not going with you anymore. If you need a word or something, call me."

If she is applying for simple jobs, keep it simple.

This is a tough sell. "No, dear, you don't need to list every job you've ever had around the world on this application. You're applying for a job at the mall. Chances are they've never even heard of those places anyway." But they must know I have experience! "Yes, but you can't let them know you have too much experience because this woman will think you're going to take her job." Why I will be take her job? She works at sh!tty place whis no future, make no money and do nosing all day. "Exactly. She aint givin that up!"

Do not underestimate the resistance that they receive because they are immigrants, have an accent and are very attractive. Alla always hopes a man will interview her. :P

There's a whole lot of truth to this. I accompanied my wife to a very trendy store in an uppity area - a place where she'd be perfect - and the ladies there literally turned up their noses the moment she walked in. I couldn't hear the claws coming out, but I definitely saw some backs being arched and a hiss or two. Same thing happened at restaurants where a lot of women worked.

Now, at other places, where the men ran things - she couldn't get a better welcome!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

There's a whole lot of truth to this. I accompanied my wife to a very trendy store in an uppity area - a place where she'd be perfect - and the ladies there literally turned up their noses the moment she walked in. I couldn't hear the claws coming out, but I definitely saw some backs being arched and a hiss or two. Same thing happened at restaurants where a lot of women worked.

Now, at other places, where the men ran things - she couldn't get a better welcome!

Vika still asks me how people remember us so well :lol: Bartenders know what we drink, waiters remember what we order, etc. When I tell her "you know that if I show up here without you, they ask where you are, but cannot remember anything else?", she just laughs. I say "it isn't US they are remembering", and we're married, so you can 'fess up to it :D

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

This was only one step down on the stress meter from teaching my wife to drive.

I remember going to a few places with her and assisting while she filled out applications. My wife wasn't bad with the words but she insisted on writing things where they didn't go. She'd write in the margins or put info in the incorrect boxes - not where it was supposed to go, but wherever she wanted it to go. "Because I not want write zis stuff here! For me looks better like zis!" Uh, dear, you may want to write your education backround in the education section, not in the margins next to references. "Shut up, durak."

I stopped taking her after a few days and said, "hey, I'll drop you off but I'm not going with you anymore. If you need a word or something, call me."

This is a tough sell. "No, dear, you don't need to list every job you've ever had around the world on this application. You're applying for a job at the mall. Chances are they've never even heard of those places anyway." But they must know I have experience! "Yes, but you can't let them know you have too much experience because this woman will think you're going to take her job." Why I will be take her job? She works at sh!tty place whis no future, make no money and do nosing all day. "Exactly. She aint givin that up!"

Eta pravda!

Alla was thrilled to get this job in the women's clothing store because she is a clothes hound anyway and she could talk to other women about clothes! She knew it was nothing to challenge her intellectually but it was basically a job to get accustomed to natives anyway so she thought it would be fun. Dress up and get paid to talk about fashion and clothes. What could be better? The women working there were supposed to dress nicely so she just ate that up and was dressed to the 9's every day. Within a week she started to say "I do not think the other women like me" and within a month she said they "hated" her. Some of the customers liked her and would ask for "the Russian girl" (which probably didn't help) but the women working there were none too friendly.

I have seen this myself and the best was in Lowe's one day looking at flowers. Alla will tqalk to anyone so she strikes up a conversation with another woman buying flowers..I was holding up the shopping cart. Of course she asks "Where are you from?" Alla said "Ukraine" The usual nonsense about "Is that part of Russia?...." followed with "Is this your husband? Is he a refugee from Russia also?" Alla's mouth dropped open and I said "Da! Ya tovag maht!" with a big smile on my face. Alla nearly bit me until I was dead right then and there!

On the other hand..the male doctors at the hospital REQUEST Alla for their interpreter when they have Russian speaking patients. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Vika still asks me how people remember us so well :lol: Bartenders know what we drink, waiters remember what we order, etc. When I tell her "you know that if I show up here without you, they ask where you are, but cannot remember anything else?", she just laughs. I say "it isn't US they are remembering", and we're married, so you can 'fess up to it :D

I'm VIP... when I'm with her.

it was basically a job to get accustomed to natives anyway so she thought it would be fun.

I forgot to add in my earlier post - it's extremely important for her to work somewhere, anywhere, after she arrives. It'll help her in more ways than just making a little money. She'll get an idea of how it works in America, how the people operate here, it'll improve her English (Americanize it, anyway) and most importantly, she'll get an American reference for her "real job" once she starts working somewhere more to her standard.

It's hard for employers to call Russia and verify she did what she said she did on that 3-page resume. They're just not smart enough to figure out how to do it and don't trust them even if they did. "Hello, thank you for calling USA credit. This is Peggy." That's what Americans picture when they call Russia. When they can call over to TJ Maxx or whatever, it may not be a huge career builder for them, but it's verifiable employment in the US and lets them see she was working somewhere while searching for a "real" job.

Even if she only works part-time at the mall, encourage her to do it. Building at least one or two references is really important here.

"Ukraine" The usual nonsense about "Is that part of Russia?...." followed with "Is this your husband? Is he a refugee from Russia also?" Alla's mouth dropped open and I said "Da! Ya tovag maht!" with a big smile on my face. Alla nearly bit me until I was dead right then and there!

I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked me if I was Russian too. My wife laughs hysterically at this. "Zis fat, nasty, horrible piece of grease whis no fashion supposed to be Russian man? Really? HA, ha ha! You crack me down!"

On the other hand..the male doctors at the hospital REQUEST Alla for their interpreter when they have Russian speaking patients. :lol:

And this is what ends up happening once those references are established. Why hire some bubble-headed college chick when they can get a "sophisticated Russian woman whis culture and sophisticate? Zey even not will be sink about college chicks anymore because now zey have a real woman, blat. Man so stupid. But so good for business!"

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I'm VIP... when I'm with her.

I forgot to add in my earlier post - it's extremely important for her to work somewhere, anywhere, after she arrives. It'll help her in more ways than just making a little money. She'll get an idea of how it works in America, how the people operate here, it'll improve her English (Americanize it, anyway) and most importantly, she'll get an American reference for her "real job" once she starts working somewhere more to her standard.

It's hard for employers to call Russia and verify she did what she said she did on that 3-page resume. They're just not smart enough to figure out how to do it and don't trust them even if they did. "Hello, thank you for calling USA credit. This is Peggy." That's what Americans picture when they call Russia. When they can call over to TJ Maxx or whatever, it may not be a huge career builder for them, but it's verifiable employment in the US and lets them see she was working somewhere while searching for a "real" job.

Even if she only works part-time at the mall, encourage her to do it. Building at least one or two references is really important here.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked me if I was Russian too. My wife laughs hysterically at this. "Zis fat, nasty, horrible piece of grease whis no fashion supposed to be Russian man? Really? HA, ha ha! You crack me down!"

And this is what ends up happening once those references are established. Why hire some bubble-headed college chick when they can get a "sophisticated Russian woman whis culture and sophisticate? Zey even not will be sink about college chicks anymore because now zey have a real woman, blat. Man so stupid. But so good for business!"

I agree it is important to get out of the house and mingle with the natives. Getting a real job takes longer than it used to due to the changes in the I-9 form, but they can volunteer or go to school. Hospitals will find something for them to volunteer at and it makes contacts and references. Alla got one job as an interpreter for the hospital and she continues to get referrals to other clients now. The men love her and ask for her all the time. This does not go unnoticed by her and she knows how to use it. She makes sure she is looking real good when she goes to an interpretation.

Brad, I experience the same...Alla is famous at our local Lowe's, among other places :lol: A few of the people there know me as "Alla's husband" She has to drive past Lowe's between school and our house, which means she usually does not drive past it. I am usually there to pick up whatever she has bought and left for "pickup later" which means... "it is too heavy for me, I will send the mule" She also gets some incredibly good deals on clearance stuff.

Their long lists of accomplishments in Russia or Ukraine are of little value here. For a small job it is just about as good to just say "I am new to the country and have no experience here but have been working since I was 16 That makes them at least as good as the aforementioned bubble brained college chick who can't stop texting long enough to serve a customer.

Gary And Alla

When they can call over to TJ Maxx or whatever, it may not be a huge career builder for them, but it's verifiable employment in the US and lets them see she was working somewhere while searching for a "real" job.

Verifiable by whom? The rocket scientists at TJ Maxx? Some of those brainiacs can't even verify their own phone number, or add without a register to do the math. Seriously, I think Vika could submit her resume' in Russian and still be OK.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Verifiable by whom? The rocket scientists at TJ Maxx? Some of those brainiacs can't even verify their own phone number, or add without a register to do the math. Seriously, I think Vika could submit her resume' in Russian and still be OK.

For those jobs, absolutely. But, for the next job (the "real" job) it's almost always important to have a contact in America that someone can phone to find out if, in fact, she has worked in the US before. So what if they talk to an airhead peabrain that only says, "yeah, some Russian chick worked here" because that's typically all that's needed.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Yep, she does that on occasion but she's gotten a lot better due to practice. She still struggles with articles, either leaving them out, using the wrong one, or adding them where they aren't needed. I'm not much help...I can't really tell her a flawless set of rules...it's just common usage for most stuff because even the exceptions have exceptions in the English language.

As far as being recognized...that happens constantly! Everyone remembers her wherever she goes. If I'm by myself, they usually don't recognize me at all, but if they did, it's like others...they ask where my wife is!

Another funny thing along the same lines...my wife is always surprised when people ask her where she's from! "How they know this?" She can't believe they can tell by just be hearing her speak a couple words. In actuality they know just from looking at her and the voice confirms it. Pretty funny though to see her surprise.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

As far as being recognized...that happens constantly! Everyone remembers her wherever she goes. If I'm by myself, they usually don't recognize me at all, but if they did, it's like others...they ask where my wife is!

Another funny thing along the same lines...my wife is always surprised when people ask her where she's from! "How they know this?" She can't believe they can tell by just be hearing her speak a couple words. In actuality they know just from looking at her and the voice confirms it. Pretty funny though to see her surprise.

Just like us :lol: Vika is just amazed that people remember her for so long. I try not to tell her how memorable she is to them because I enjoy the surprise too.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

At Denis' Parent Teacher Conference, the interpreter provided by the District asked if I needed help translating what the teacher was saying as well as Katya. However, when I was asked to deliver some documents to the Russian Doctor's office; I was greeted with a Hello instead of a Zdrastvyasdsaasdsa. (I'm not going to bother spelling that word)

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.