joe_robin66

Credit

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just some advice for some, if your starting your credit in the USA, your Canadian credit might not mean anything in the USA. The only way to build it is to go on your spouses credit. He/She has to add you not only as an Authorized User but as a Joint User responsible for also paying the bill. They have to ask for your Social Security #, then they start going into the Credit Agencies. The great thing is, for example, if your spouse has credit with say Walmart and they had the card for about 5 yrs or so, good payment history, etc...it will show on your credit file that you had a credit history for 5 + years and looks good....Store cards are excellent for starting credit...and are the easiest.

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just some advice for some, if your starting your credit in the USA, your Canadian credit might not mean anything in the USA. The only way to build it is to go on your spouses credit. He/She has to add you not only as an Authorized User but as a Joint User responsible for also paying the bill. They have to ask for your Social Security #, then they start going into the Credit Agencies. The great thing is, for example, if your spouse has credit with say Walmart and they had the card for about 5 yrs or so, good payment history, etc...it will show on your credit file that you had a credit history for 5 + years and looks good....Store cards are excellent for starting credit...and are the easiest.

Nice information, thank you :thumbs:

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: Timeline

The only way to build it is to go on your spouses credit.

It's definitely not the only way. You'll find a few threads in this forum and the Moving to America forum where Canadians have been quite resourceful about building their credit in the US. In my case, when purchasing a new vehicle, the car dealership called their Canadian affiliate and had them pull my credit report. You can also open an account with some department and clothing stores if you're a cross-border shopper. Cities like Buffalo, who are well used to Canadian shoppers, have no problem with this because they do it all the time.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's definitely not the only way. You'll find a few threads in this forum and the Moving to America forum where Canadians have been quite resourceful about building their credit in the US. In my case, when purchasing a new vehicle, the car dealership called their Canadian affiliate and had them pull my credit report. You can also open an account with some department and clothing stores if you're a cross-border shopper. Cities like Buffalo, who are well used to Canadian shoppers, have no problem with this because they do it all the time.

@Krikit - Well done! Excellent information.

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sometimes I wish I never got credit here, I have never seen so much freaking junk mail in my life telling me I have been approved for this and that. I would get some in Canada but not to the extent I do here.

Donne moi une poptart!

C. was able to get a credit card from Bank of America right away, but after about a year and half, when we went to buy a car, while his credit payments had always been on time and in full, his check came back as "insufficient information." We were able to purchase the car anyway based on my credit, but at least in our case, it took a major purchase to establish a solid credit history for him.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's actually the other way around for us. Mathew moved down here and we got him a secured card and added me as an authorized user. MY credit has jumped leaps and bounds since doing that and his is great too. He did it all on his own and still isn't an authorized user on my card just because I haven't had the time.

I would like for all the junk mail to stop, though. Booh!

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Sometimes I wish I never got credit here, I have never seen so much freaking junk mail in my life telling me I have been approved for this and that. I would get some in Canada but not to the extent I do here.

Isn't that disgusting? Not to mention the "invoices" made to appear as if you owe some company money when you don't. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

being an authorized user doesn't always work and it is not the only way.

in my case i was added to all the utility bills in july when we got our apartment. i filled out a cap one application, best buy etc was denied but it put a "touch" on my credit rating, even though they all came back with "no credit not enough credit history"

in the last week i got another app in the mail form cap one, i filled it out and was approved right away online.

7 months after being in the usa, and 3.5 months after being put on utiltites, and i got my first credit card. i was not piggy backing on anyone,and the only bills i was on were comcast, comed, and our insurance from geico. that was it.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

the only time i had alot of junk mail in canda, i sent off a request to the CDMA (canadian direct marketing associastion) and it stopped..like..forever after lol.

what i did notice was a sentence on the pre approval apps we've been getting ( like 3-5 a week for my husband!! ) thats there is a site you can go to so you no longer get these.. i have a pile that needs to be shreded as is! :(

1-888-5-opt-out

also there are some mailing addies for experian and transunion etc that have marketing departmetns..from waht i seems they are the ones giving out your info.

found this for you : from the Federal trade commision

Can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don’t want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. Call toll-free 1888-5-OPTOUT (18885678688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com for details. The telephone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies. When you call or visit the website, you’ll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Remember that if you have joint credit relationships, like a mortgage or a car loan with a spouse, partner, or other adult, you may continue to receive some prescreened solicitations until both of you exercise your opt-out right.

HWDWm6.png

the only time i had alot of junk mail in canda, i sent off a request to the CDMA (canadian direct marketing associastion) and it stopped..like..forever after lol.

what i did notice was a sentence on the pre approval apps we've been getting ( like 3-5 a week for my husband!! ) thats there is a site you can go to so you no longer get these.. i have a pile that needs to be shreded as is! :(

1-888-5-opt-out

also there are some mailing addies for experian and transunion etc that have marketing departmetns..from waht i seems they are the ones giving out your info.

found this for you : from the Federal trade commision

Can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. Call toll-free 1888-5-OPTOUT (18885678688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com for details. The telephone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies. When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Remember that if you have joint credit relationships, like a mortgage or a car loan with a spouse, partner, or other adult, you may continue to receive some prescreened solicitations until both of you exercise your opt-out right.

:thumbs: This opt out web site worked wonders for me - never received a single offer for another credit card.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.