Leticia83

Filing I-751

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone, I have few questions about my case status.

My name is Leticia. I came on the K-1 visa (Sept. 11, 2007) to marry with a US Citizen and we got married within 90 days (Dec. 10, 2007) of my entry into the USA. We were going through a tough time in which my husband actually domestically abused me, followed with me filing an order of protection against him and a police report with the city that I was residing at with my husband. I did not follow up with the order of protection and dropped it in court because we talked and worked things out. After 1 year (Sept. 2008) of marriage my husband applied for my 2 year Green Card. I received my 2 year Green Card (March, 2009), and a month later we separated because after me not following up with the order of protection, the abuse continued followed with more police reports. A month after receiving my 2 year Green Card we separated. I then moved to another state.

My Green Card is due to expire on March of 2011, I have to apply my 10 year Green Card by December of 2010. As I contacted a lawyer to get a divorce in the city that my husband resided, I was informed that I have been divorced since April of 2009. I was told that the divorce was approved because my husband published a divorce notification for me in a newspaper because he was not aware of where I currently reside and since their was no response on my part they granted him the divorce. They granted him the dissolution of marriage which notes "without cause or provocation on the part of the petitioner, the respondent has willfully deserted and absented herself from petitioner, commencing on April 3, 2009, and continuing for a period in excess of one (1) year, to the present time." Throughout this period before the divorce was granted I tried to reach my husband many times by email and phone with no response.

Now I must file for my 10 year green card and I currently do not have sufficient amount of money to pay a lawyer for my paperwork and I have taken the first steps to resolve the matters of obtaining my 10 year green card. I obtained a copy of my divorce and will be obtaining the order of protection documents which will prove some of the abuse that I went trough in my relationship with my ex-husband. I set-up an interview with 'InfoPass' (Nov. 15, 2010) to obtain the proper documents and any advice in regards to my case.

I am currently self-employed and will be filing my taxes in the beginning of January 2011, and my husband last filed taxes for 'us' for the year of 2008.

I am asking anyone to give me any advice and/or testimonial so that I may prove to immigration that my marriage was of good faith and what is the possibility of me obtaining my 10 year Green Card with my case. Is their any other information that I will need to provide for this mater. Please help, any advice is good!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone, I have few questions about my case status.

My name is Leticia. I came on the K-1 visa (Sept. 11, 2007) to marry with a US Citizen and we got married within 90 days (Dec. 10, 2007) of my entry into the USA. We were going through a tough time in which my husband actually domestically abused me, followed with me filing an order of protection against him and a police report with the city that I was residing at with my husband. I did not follow up with the order of protection and dropped it in court because we talked and worked things out. After 1 year (Sept. 2008) of marriage my husband applied for my 2 year Green Card. I received my 2 year Green Card (March, 2009), and a month later we separated because after me not following up with the order of protection, the abuse continued followed with more police reports. A month after receiving my 2 year Green Card we separated. I then moved to another state.

My Green Card is due to expire on March of 2011, I have to apply my 10 year Green Card by December of 2010. As I contacted a lawyer to get a divorce in the city that my husband resided, I was informed that I have been divorced since April of 2009. I was told that the divorce was approved because my husband published a divorce notification for me in a newspaper because he was not aware of where I currently reside and since their was no response on my part they granted him the divorce. They granted him the dissolution of marriage which notes "without cause or provocation on the part of the petitioner, the respondent has willfully deserted and absented herself from petitioner, commencing on April 3, 2009, and continuing for a period in excess of one (1) year, to the present time." Throughout this period before the divorce was granted I tried to reach my husband many times by email and phone with no response.

Now I must file for my 10 year green card and I currently do not have sufficient amount of money to pay a lawyer for my paperwork and I have taken the first steps to resolve the matters of obtaining my 10 year green card. I obtained a copy of my divorce and will be obtaining the order of protection documents which will prove some of the abuse that I went trough in my relationship with my ex-husband. I set-up an interview with 'InfoPass' (Nov. 15, 2010) to obtain the proper documents and any advice in regards to my case.

I am currently self-employed and will be filing my taxes in the beginning of January 2011, and my husband last filed taxes for 'us' for the year of 2008.

I am asking anyone to give me any advice and/or testimonial so that I may prove to immigration that my marriage was of good faith and what is the possibility of me obtaining my 10 year Green Card with my case. Is their any other information that I will need to provide for this mater. Please help, any advice is good!

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and Battered Immigrant Women Protection Act of 2000 (BIWPA) provide battered alien spouses and children of U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) eligibility to self-petition for lawful permanent residence. In general, eligibility is based on whether a qualifying relationship exists or existed and the petitioner was subject to extreme mental cruelty or battery by the U.S. citizen or LPR. The Act also allows for an abused parent of a U.S. citizen son or daughter to self-petition for lawful permanent residence.

SpecialPrograms.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.