raaza

speeding Ticket VS N 400

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Do I need to consider speeding ticket while filling out N-400

Do speeding ticket come under Citation? Do I need to disclose them in the application form since i had once in last five years? I am sure many people would have faced a similar situation and I am curious how they handled it. Thanks.

Raaza

Filed: Other Timeline

It's all spelled out in the instructions for the N-400. Have you read them?

Have you ever been cited . . . YES, you have.

However, if the ticket is under $500, you do not need to DOCUMENT it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

It's all spelled out in the instructions for the N-400. Have you read them?

Have you ever been cited . . . YES, you have.

However, if the ticket is under $500, you do not need to DOCUMENT it.

The ticket was abo $200. so what you advise Bob do I need to mention it in N400.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, If just a traffic ticket with no arrest, Yes u need to check Question 16 on Part 10. Additional questions. with YES,.. and on the bottom (Why were you arrested, cited, detained or charged?) write a Traffic Ticket. finally when u reach ((Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge (No charges filed, charges

dismissed, jail, probation, etc.))) write no Charges filed... about the $200 ticket u do not need to submit any Documents with ur N-400 form.

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, If just a traffic ticket with no arrest, Yes u need to check Question 16 on Part 10. Additional questions. with YES,.. and on the bottom (Why were you arrested, cited, detained or charged?) write a Traffic Ticket. finally when u reach ((Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention or charge (No charges filed, charges

dismissed, jail, probation, etc.))) write no Charges filed... about the $200 ticket u do not need to submit any Documents with ur N-400 form.

Oh let me add this too as well.

Have you were required to appear to the court? If no then follow the above.

and Please Read this carefully.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400ins.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually from the USCIS (by phone, talking to the IO) and then from everyone else's experience besides mine, they do NOT care about traffic tickets.

It is up to you if you want to disclose them (Being under the $500 fine and not DUI related). I never disclosed my few and never was asked about it until a question about if I have been in court came up. 2 of my tickets were court related, and mentioned they were traffic fines. IO said ok that's fine and moved on. I asked him about the traffic tickets and he told me no, I didn't not have to mention them and that was fine. He only cared that it was under $500 and non DUI related.

This has been a problem thing for many people filing out the N-400. I had to contact them by phone and ask a immigration lawyer and then ask around on the net for awhile before getting a straight answer.

Times you would want to put them on there is when you have things on your form that could be problematic (previous arrests, problems, moral). This would then help prove that you are being more responsible.

Many people though that do divulge their tickets, are then asked to track down and prove it was paid. This can lead to a lot of back tracking, especially if it was out of state or the records no longer exist. Some people have had delays because of this. So as the USCIS and my IO told me (and lawyers and many others that have researched it), the answer is no, you do not need to discolse them if they are just minor fines...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes we do need to record them on the N400

No we do not need to submit documentation for minor traffic offenses

Yes we can can be denied Naturalization if we have a lot of tickets and they are unpaid (Bad moral character)

I was asked about my one ticket at the interview

moresheep400100.jpg

How can I explain to somebody the utterly important difference of "disclosing" or "mentioning" and "documenting?"

Oh . . . I've got an idea!

You had a accident with your car a few years back. It was only a small damage but you still need to mention it -- disclose it -- to the buyer if he asks if your car has ever been in an accident.

However, you do not have to provide photos and repair bills for it, thus, you do not need to document it.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Timeline

How can I explain to somebody the utterly important difference of "disclosing" or "mentioning" and "documenting?"

TICKETS:

Disclosing - good

Mentioning - bad (One should keep one's mouth shut and one's bowels open)

Documenting - be prepared that's all

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Though as far as tickets, it's still not needed to even disclose them if under the $500 non DUI. Even disclosing them on the N-400 you very well can be asked then to go back and get all the details which has happened many times. Up to each individual. I researched enough for my situation and realized I did not even need to mention them on the N-400 which was backed up by my IO. I'm glad I didn't. I know someone that did disclose it on the N-400 and then because they did, had to go back years from another state to find all the records and try and find proof (which the state no longer had) of them paying and thus delaying their application.

Up to each individual. There are many of us that were glad we contacted multiple sources and not just the internet or the vague USCIS instructions on this and saved ourselves a lot of hassle...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

Timeline

Though as far as tickets, it's still not needed to even disclose them if under the $500 non DUI. Even disclosing them on the N-400 you very well can be asked then to go back and get all the details which has happened many times. Up to each individual. I researched enough for my situation and realized I did not even need to mention them on the N-400 which was backed up by my IO. I'm glad I didn't. I know someone that did disclose it on the N-400 and then because they did, had to go back years from another state to find all the records and try and find proof (which the state no longer had) of them paying and thus delaying their application.

Up to each individual. There are many of us that were glad we contacted multiple sources and not just the internet or the vague USCIS instructions on this and saved ourselves a lot of hassle...

I think the risk of not disclosing on the N400 and thereby inviting suspicion of what else is not disclosed, is greater than the risk of having further questions regarding tickets.

At my interview she said "I see you got a ticket". I said , "Yes just one - I paid it in cash 40 minutes after I got it". She smiled and that was that.

If she had said "You failed to disclose any tickets but we have found a record", I would have been severely embarrassed and it could have triggered even longer delays while they looked harder at my file.

That's the way I weighed the risks. Honesty is the best policy up to a point. Where is the line ? The guy who said " I smoked cannabis once and it was 10 years ago" on his GC medical questionnaire was too honest - so work back from there.

moresheep400100.jpg

Not disclosing having been cited by a police officer when being explicitly asked about it in the N-400 form is a clear misrepresentation. Period.

Timeline

Not disclosing having been cited by a police officer when being explicitly asked about it in the N-400 form is a clear misrepresentation. Period.

It is if the USCIS says a simple traffic ticket is not including in their version of a citation. The N-400 is not clear on many things, following up those things with the people that manage and know the rule of what they mean is why you do that since it's a very common thing and a very vague thing.

Guess you should put down all parking tickets as well since those are also classified as citations if that was the case. Which of course it isn't.

If you are curious about anything on the N-400 follow it up by contacting them to get it clarrified like me and many others have done in the past to get a clear answer...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Oct - I-751 sent off

Nov - Biometrics done

Feb - Oath Ceremony

THE END

It is if the USCIS says a simple traffic ticket is not including in their version of a citation.

You show me that passage, and I formally apologize to you on this board for being wrong. I have spent more time with the N-400 application and instructions than with my wife. I doubt I overlooked it but if I did, feel free to set me straight.

Timeline

Well, looks like so many people has so many views about this issue and have no clear solution. So after doing some research i finally marked Q 16 of part 10 as YES and explain the situation, plus I collected all records about the ticket and also found that traffic school certificate i attend for.

Hope everything will go smooth. Just want to conform the list of items i submitted based on five years rule:

* N-400 application form.

* photocopy of my 10 yrs GC front and back( one page has the front image of GC and the other has the back image , is it fine? )

*Two color photos with A# and name on back with pencil( I wrote a little darker than lighter and leave a little impression on the front of picture though, am I ok)

* Personal Check of $ 675 with A# on back.

Thankyou all and wish you all the best.

Raaza

Edited by raaza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.