Brad and Vika

Back from Ukraine/Czech

176 posts in this topic

He didn't show this one though, did he?

Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif

I have a buddy out in Kali who had one do something like this in his hand. They are a fine piece, but like Russian wives, they're known to blow up sometimes.

Er... no. What caused that? Since I generally avoid freezing my Glock in ice etc., I figured it was pretty safe.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm no expert on Glocks...never even held one. I've heard they're good and cheaper to build guns, and they sell like hot cakes. But I've never taken to plastic guns...something about it just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe too old school. I do see you get a lighter cheaper gun but you must deal with more recoil and slower return to target if we're talking about bigger calibers. Good training can offset these issues I suppose but I prefer non plastic guns, at least with pistols. I also dislike most double-action only pistols...just not as accurate. This is why most professional competitors use the 1911 single-action guns.

The Glock does have one issue I have heard about in the form of a minor complaint...the angle of the grip is a bit odd. I think John Browning got it just right with the 1911A1 grip angle and many guns follow that grip angle design...but not the Glock. So it might take some adjusting to the difference...but that would be a simple matter of training. But I don't care for the angle, and let's face it...the Glock has no "sex appeal." It's a very ugly gun IMO. But success is success so I can't bad mouth the Glock too much.

Speaking about the 1911, I always thought it was a mistake to switch from the Colt 1911 to the Beretta 9MM for the military. We did it to please NATO who uses the 9mm round. Most cops also use Glocks and other guns that use the 9MM ammo too, but the cops can use deadly hollow points and very lethal ammo. The military is stuck with FMJ rounds. Given that the FMJ is the only choice, I'd prefer the 45 caliber over the 9MM. I think this is why many Spec Ops types still go with 1911 side arms. I know some will say it's better to throw more rounds at the enemy (as with the 9MM) versus only 8 or 9 with the 1911, but I know that multiple 9MM rounds have failed to stop the bad guy...even some cops have stories to tell about the 9MM not getting it done, which probably explains why the .40 caliber is fast becoming the police round of choice.

Just my views but I think 100 years of having the 1911 around, and still being produced by many different companies, speaks for itself. That's quite a track record.

Er... no. What caused that? Since I generally avoid freezing my Glock in ice etc., I figured it was pretty safe.

Glocks are pretty safe. This happens maybe once in a million handguns. Maybe less than that, I don't know.

My buddy out in Cali was shooting handloads. Glock is VERY specific about chamber pressures and acceptable load variations, etc. It says in their manual to use factory loaded ammunition ONLY. So, it was his fault. He wasn't trying to blow it up, but he wasn't shocked that it happened. He figured if his other pistols (1911s, etc.) could handle it, this one should too. He was wrong. Said his fingers hurt for a week.

I've heard of similar things happening when using commercial/hunting ammo with M-1 Garands. The manuals are there for a reason. Read and heed them!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I'm no expert on Glocks...never even held one. I've heard they're good and cheaper to build guns, and they sell like hot cakes. But I've never taken to plastic guns...something about it just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe too old school. I do see you get a lighter cheaper gun but you must deal with more recoil and slower return to target if we're talking about bigger calibers. Good training can offset these issues I suppose but I prefer non plastic guns, at least with pistols. I also dislike most double-action only pistols...just not as accurate. This is why most professional competitors use the 1911 single-action guns.

Polymer guns have their place. And even the double actions are just as accurate as single actions made of steel or aluminum or any other metal. Like all firearms, it's the nut behind the butt that determines accuracy, not the barrel.

They are love 'em or leave 'em though and all the issues you bring up can be overcome with proper training and practice, otherwise they wouldn't be as successful as they are. That same buddy that blew up his Glock has a saying in his signature line - "amateurs talk hardware... professionals talk software." It's as true in the gun debates as any others in life.

The Glock does have one issue I have heard about in the form of a minor complaint...the angle of the grip is a bit odd. I think John Browning got it just right with the 1911A1 grip angle and many guns follow that grip angle design...but not the Glock. So it might take some adjusting to the difference...but that would be a simple matter of training. But I don't care for the angle, and let's face it...the Glock has no "sex appeal." It's a very ugly gun IMO. But success is success so I can't bad mouth the Glock too much.

Since you haven't held one you wouldn't know, but the angle difference isn't even an issue. Sure, it's different, but it's no different than switching from your Remington 700 to your M-14.

It looks like a huge deal... especially on the internet!

Speaking about the 1911, I always thought it was a mistake to switch from the Colt 1911 to the Beretta 9MM for the military. We did it to please NATO who uses the 9mm round. Most cops also use Glocks and other guns that use the 9MM ammo too, but the cops can use deadly hollow points and very lethal ammo. The military is stuck with FMJ rounds. Given that the FMJ is the only choice, I'd prefer the 45 caliber over the 9MM. I think this is why many Spec Ops types still go with 1911 side arms. I know some will say it's better to throw more rounds at the enemy (as with the 9MM) versus only 8 or 9 with the 1911, but I know that multiple 9MM rounds have failed to stop the bad guy...even some cops have stories to tell about the 9MM not getting it done, which probably explains why the .40 caliber is fast becoming the police round of choice.

The M-9 is a fine sidearm. I carried it daily in the military and found it to be a wonderful pistol. When I separated, I bought a 1911.

Just my views but I think 100 years of having the 1911 around, and still being produced by many different companies, speaks for itself. That's quite a track record.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Part II talks about handguns -

Русский форум член.

Speaking about the 1911, I always thought it was a mistake to switch from the Colt 1911 to the Beretta 9MM for the military. We did it to please NATO who uses the 9mm round. Most cops also use Glocks and other guns that use the 9MM ammo too, but the cops can use deadly hollow points and very lethal ammo. The military is stuck with FMJ rounds. Given that the FMJ is the only choice, I'd prefer the 45 caliber over the 9MM. I think this is why many Spec Ops types still go with 1911 side arms. I know some will say it's better to throw more rounds at the enemy (as with the 9MM) versus only 8 or 9 with the 1911, but I know that multiple 9MM rounds have failed to stop the bad guy...even some cops have stories to tell about the 9MM not getting it done, which probably explains why the .40 caliber is fast becoming the police round of choice. Just my views but I think 100 years of having the 1911 around, and still being produced by many different companies, speaks for itself. That's quite a track record.

That was happening years ago in SC (where I bought the Glock .40. County officers were all switching from 9mm to .40 Glocks, while city cops had already switched to SIG .40s.

Glocks are pretty safe. This happens maybe once in a million handguns. Maybe less than that, I don't know.

My buddy out in Cali was shooting handloads. Glock is VERY specific about chamber pressures and acceptable load variations, etc. It says in their manual to use factory loaded ammunition ONLY. So, it was his fault. He wasn't trying to blow it up, but he wasn't shocked that it happened. He figured if his other pistols (1911s, etc.) could handle it, this one should too. He was wrong. Said his fingers hurt for a week.

I've heard of similar things happening when using commercial/hunting ammo with M-1 Garands. The manuals are there for a reason. Read and heed them!

Appreciate the explanation.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Most commercial loads are too hot for the Garand, in it's GI configuration; excessive barrel pressures cause the op rod to slam back either causing damage to it, to jump out of it's channel or at worst slamming the bolt back into the receiver and cracking it. A simple Schuster adjustable gas plug solves this problem. Leaned and I have plenty of surplus 06 hoarded away to satisfy our cravings (and his to come)!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Funny cartoon video Slim!

I'm not really stocking up on MRIs and bottled water but I think we're only one or two break downs in the food chain, water supply, or power grid to slip into a world without the rule of law. When I see people trampled from a crazy soccer game or rock concert, I get a glimpse of how people operate under panic and stress within the mob dynamics. The political climate is also very bad. The country is split and divided. People are very angry. I can see ugly scenarios break out if the economy does not improve and politicians don't turn the country around soon.

I think, like in South Africa, we will soon see the rise of private security forces in our neighborhoods. We already see this in Iraq and Afghanistan...Blackwater, Triple Canopy, Dyncorp...all private mercenaries providers. The cops can't handle things...there's too many people. Most people don't own guns or know how to defend themselves. Gangs are getting out of control and the Mexican cartels are taking over parts of the southwest US...and they're armed to the teeth. Our "leaders" rearrange furniture on the Titanic.

Anyone unarmed these days is playing chicken with their life. And I look at the tragic home invasion case where everyone but the husband were tortured, raped and murdered. Probably no guns in the house. I think of VA Tech where 32 people were systematically executed. No guns on the good guys. Just some nice unarmed liberal college professors...probably very anti-2nd amendment. I bet they'd sure have wanted a firearm that day.

VA Tech was a "gun free zone." Gun free for the good folks. And the cops and campus security were inept and clumsy in their response. Can we expect these jokers to save our children...or us? The school officials should have been fired...especially the president. He still has his job. The issue is not finished. Heads may still roll. I hope so. Students still can't conceal carry. What did they learn?

I don't know about heading into the mountains but leaving the large metro cities might be a good idea if we, indeed, loose the rule of law. I still remember the riots in DC from 1968. The National Guard had to put down the looting and burning-. People died. Certain neighborhoods in DC are only now starting to come back from the 68 riots. We have short memories...but I remember. This all unfolded in our nations capital. Great example of how fragile civil control really is. It can be lost overnight.

Enough of my rant...

As I said, I'm a "Glock Schlock" having never held or fired one. I guess I'm a 1911 snob. The Glock has certainly started a revolution in pistol manufacture. I do like it better than the Springfield (Croatian) XDs which seem to sell very well.

My recent gun nuttiness has taken me into the world of the original "Saturday Night Special:" George Jennings infamous "Raven 25 cal pistol." You can buy them off the internet for around $50 to $100 for a pretty nice one. Although cheap and simple, they have earned some praise for reliability and accuracy over the years. They seem to always go "bang!" Ironically, although California is unsurpassed in it's anti-gun laws, the very gun they hate the most (the SNS) was made right there in good old Kalifornia.

I have not yet "pulled the trigger" on buying one but I am intrigued. I have that "itch."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

"Why are you carrying a handgun, are you expecting trouble?"

"No, if I was expecting trouble I'd have my rifle."

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most commercial loads are too hot for the Garand, in it's GI configuration; excessive barrel pressures cause the op rod to slam back either causing damage to it, to jump out of it's channel or at worst slamming the bolt back into the receiver and cracking it. A simple Schuster adjustable gas plug solves this problem. Leaned and I have plenty of surplus 06 hoarded away to satisfy our cravings (and his to come)!

True that. While I use handloads in my M1 I use exclusively powders which have a burn rate that allows for this. The trick is to keep the port pressure lower. IMR 4895 works perfectly with reasonable loads. Many of the commercial loads use much slower burning powders which result in higher velocities (if I wanted more velocity I would buy one of the umpteen .30 magnums)but also higher pressure at the gas port of the M1.

Great handgun conversations! I do not like the "fat-butt" concept (part of the reason I married an FSU chick) and the M9 never appealed to me, though I did own for a while for no reason I can think of now. Way too much "gun" and way too little "bullet" IMO.

Glocks are fine, utilitarian pistols. Plastic does nothing for me when used in firearm manufacturing. I do not own one because I have no need which is filled by a plastic gun. If I carried a gun exposed to weather, etc. maybe it would be different. My gun stays nice and warm and dry under my shirt. I did fire a Glock .45 on one occasion and felt it had a wicked torque in its recoil.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Funny cartoon video Slim!

The sad thing is it's entirely accurate. I applaud people for wanting to get into firearms and seeking training/knowledge/etc., but like most sheeple, they're simply trying to fit in with the crowd and not doing what it really takes.

I'm not really stocking up on MRIs and bottled water but I think we're only one or two break downs in the food chain, water supply, or power grid to slip into a world without the rule of law. ....

I fully agree with everything you're saying and it's why for the last few years I've been actively seeking out a good group of folks and putting plans into action.

It's not too hard to provide for a family and make sure things are OK, but the long-term is something that really has to be planned for. If we fall into that quasi-civil state I think I'm positioned pretty well to make big bucks doing security work. I hope it never happens, but honestly, it would be great for business!

I've said that to people and they just look at me like I'm an idiot..... then they ask, "well, do you think trouble's coming?"

I do not like the "fat-butt" concept (part of the reason I married an FSU chick) and the M9 never appealed to me, though I did own for a while for no reason I can think of now. Way too much "gun" and way too little "bullet" IMO.

I like big butts and I cannot lie....

My next handgun purchase is probably going to be a P-14. I like the fat butts. The M-9 was always super comfortable for me and I actually prefer a bigger, fatter pistol.

I do not own one because I have no need which is filled by a plastic gun. If I carried a gun exposed to weather, etc. maybe it would be different. My gun stays nice and warm and dry under my shirt.

You mean you don't want to look cool? Especially on the internet forums?

What about if you're ever involved in a "tactical" situation? (I love how everything on the internet is realted to "tactical" stuff. HA!)

I did fire a Glock .45 on one occasion and felt it had a wicked torque in its recoil.

Overcome with training and practice.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

The sad thing is it's entirely accurate. I applaud people for wanting to get into firearms and seeking training/knowledge/etc., but like most sheeple, they're simply trying to fit in with the crowd and not doing what it really takes.

I fully agree with everything you're saying and it's why for the last few years I've been actively seeking out a good group of folks and putting plans into action.

It's not too hard to provide for a family and make sure things are OK, but the long-term is something that really has to be planned for. If we fall into that quasi-civil state I think I'm positioned pretty well to make big bucks doing security work. I hope it never happens, but honestly, it would be great for business!

I've said that to people and they just look at me like I'm an idiot..... then they ask, "well, do you think trouble's coming?"

I like big butts and I cannot lie....

My next handgun purchase is probably going to be a P-14. I like the fat butts. The M-9 was always super comfortable for me and I actually prefer a bigger, fatter pistol.

You mean you don't want to look cool? Especially on the internet forums?

What about if you're ever involved in a "tactical" situation? (I love how everything on the internet is realted to "tactical" stuff. HA!)

Overcome with training and practice.

I am not a trendy gun person. My carry guns are a M1903 Colt, a M1911 Colt by Kimber and a S&W Centennial. I am not too worried about tactical situations in a CC defense handgun. My "tactic" involves the idea that a bad guy may prefer not to be shot at all and go pick on someone else. My "skeet set" is 3 Model 12s and a M42 Winchester. I use these because I shoot best with them. I tried O/Us and the semi-autos and never did as well as with my M12 pump guns. Just so no one thinks I am a cheap skate, they are all custom stocked to match and have Cutts Compensators because they look cool and make lots of noise to un-nerve the competition.

The M9 and other fat butts are too bulky to carry all the time. I have no desire to increase my training to handle a top heavy plastic gun that twists in my hand. Why? Too many others don't. The Kimber .45 does nicely as does the Colt M1911.

I never was attracted to the fast "magnum" rifles. If a 30-06 won't do the trick then you need more bullet, I do not subscribe to moving the same bullet faster. I have exactly ONE magnum rilfe, a M70 .375 H&H. I have that because I collect Winchesters and got a good deal on it. I do not imagine any practical use for it, though for a long time I kept it behind the kitchen door and told Alla it was "to keep the elephants away from her flowers" She said "There are no elephants in Vermont" Of course not...the elephant rifle keeps them away.

My other rifles are all in the 2700 fps range (or less) with their ideal bullet weights. .300 Savage, .30-30, .30-40 .308, .30-06, .35 Whelen. .35 Winchester, .405 WCF, .348 Winchester, .243, 6.5x55, even a .45-70 and a .45-110 The rest are collector guns (since I don't hunt any more most of them are collecter/shooter guns anyway) I like receiver (peep) sights and have only a few scoped rifles and none of them are scoped with anything over 4x and fixed power ONLY, no variables. Most that have scopes have my favorite 2.5x I found out that high powered scopes only make the target LOOK closer. :rofl: I like lever rifles and the worst thing you can do is clutter up and good and easy carrying lever gun with a scope. The never ending effort to force the addition of scopes onto the M1894 finally resulted in its death. Instead of selling what the M1894 always was, an easy carrying moderate range rifle for deer sized game...which means that it is ideal for 95% of North American hunting. Though it was never Winchester's best lever gun by any means but none of the deer or hogs I ever killed with one knew the difference.

I really do not have or have any interest in any of the "new" guns. I admit to a complete lack of internet tactical experience and do not even play video games with guns, so maybe that is why I am so "not cool". I still really like a good revolver, whatever happened to them? The Centennial is really a nice little carry gun, if I could have only one it would be that one. I have a bunch of S&W revolvers and like them all. My "dress" carry gun is a M19 S&W 2.5" with round butt and ivory grips. I really like a finely blued gun much better than SS or plastic but I agree that bluing offers little in rust resistance. I keep the M1903 cleaned and oiled and have had no rust problems, but concealed carry is really pretty "easy duty" for a gun anyway.

I am not a big Colt fan, except for the M1911 but I do have a couple of their good revolvers, a M1917 and a M1909. I also have the excellent Colt Officers Model Match .38 which is what the Python would be (and was) before they mucked it up with all that unnecessary BS.

I have no interest in any handguns bigger than a smallish .44 Magnum. I have a 4" S&W Mountain gun in .44 Mag which is what the .44 Mag should always have been. If I cannot do it with that I will use a rifle. I have nothing against handgun hunting per se, but I think it is mainly a "stunt".

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I have already agreed that training and practice should help overcome certain gun specific issues like grip angle and recoil (or double-action triggers :no:). But, training takes time and shooting up expensive ammo. Ammo is just very expensive now (unless you shoot 22 shorts). So there are trade-offs.

Slim, I think you would be an ideal security man. You have the background, weapon skills and the right attitude. As I said, I think we will see more and more private security or militia style local protection. When I say "militia" I'm not talking about Ruby Ridge style...but legally armed citizens in local areas, perhaps neighborhood based, that will provide their own security. The police just can't do it. They won't even get out of their cars. My grandfather was a DC cop and he walked a beat. It made a difference in how the people looked at him. And he could see up close what was going on. Got to get out of those fffing cars and act like police officers, not cab drivers!

Timeline

:thumbs:

A handgun is a good gun to take with you when you go to get your rifle or shotgun

Gary And Alla

The M9 and other fat butts are too bulky to carry all the time. I have no desire to increase my training to handle a top heavy plastic gun that twists in my hand. Why? Too many others don't. The Kimber .45 does nicely as does the Colt M1911.

I have a few otherwise sensible buddies who claim one gun - and only one gun - need be carried, regardless of the situation. The perfect carry gun can be suited to the situation, not the perfect gun for a given situation suited to them. They wouldn't think about carrying a different gun. They'll make their gun fit.

As you've pointed out... M-9 isn't the best to conceal on a semi-formal summer day. Folks wouldn't think of using a sledgehammer to hang a picture yet they'll carry a M-9 and two extra mags to pick up milk from the corner store.

I like receiver (peep) sights and have only a few scoped rifles and none of them are scoped with anything over 4x and fixed power ONLY, no variables. Most that have scopes have my favorite 2.5x I found out that high powered scopes only make the target LOOK closer. :rofl:

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone showed up to an Appleseed with a scope cranked way up there and then had problems all day long. Scopes don't actually help people shoot better. Typically, it's quite the opposite since most folks don't know how to use a scope correctly in the first place. The only good reason to use a scope is if you can't see your front sight clearly.

People tell me all the time, "yeah, but then I can't see the target either." (Another dollar needed) "You're not supposed to be focusing on the target!"

I really don't like using a scope and the only reason I have one is for observation purposes. It's kind of straining on the eyes to watch a target at distance for a long period of time. I prefer to glass through my Steiners but if I'm set up already I'll use my scope. I'm quite comfortable in prone for long periods of time. Matter of fact, I sleep in prone.

The "tacticool" school is killing marksmanship. Folks have no idea how to use their sights - or scopes - properly and everyone is under the impression they need a super high powered scope or, my personal favorite, a chevron! with mildots and bullet drop compensator and wind drift ticks "do you even know how to use that #######?" That video was spot-on. "You're not a Navy SEAL or an operator."

I love watching those dudes get smoked by a 10-year-old. And a girl at that! "You just got smoked by a little girl in pigtails shooting a pink Cricket... and you're using a $2400 rifle, $1200 optic, and match-grade ammo. Boy, I'd feel really dumb if I were you. Now pay attention! Not to me, numbnuts, her!"

none of the deer or hogs I ever killed with one knew the difference.

What did it say in that video, "yes, it's too bad that weapon hasn't been able to prove itself in combat for the last f'king century."

I admit to a complete lack of internet tactical experience and do not even play video games with guns, so maybe that is why I am so "not cool".

What I like is when the guys show up telling me what works in paintball or airsoft. "Uh, dude, do you know the difference between cover and concealment?"

I still really like a good revolver, whatever happened to them?

I try to explain to my buddies who are all XD 18+ round fanatics "beware of the man with the revolver... for he knows how to use it."

Any man confident enough to carry six shots is going to make them count. Same thing with the 1911. You don't need 3X as many rounds when you know what you're doing.

Slim, I think you would be an ideal security man. You have the background, weapon skills and the right attitude. As I said, I think we will see more and more private security or militia style local protection.

I'm of the opinion that we'll see private security in the near future, especially in the larger cities. Militia-style local groups will exist too but all the "talent" will already be getting paid.

The U.S. is funny in that we'll sit and watch all the way up to the very last minute. You've seen the videos during the riots of the guys getting punched while sitting in their car at an intersection but they refuse to drive because the light is red. We're too scared to take action. Not scared something will happen but scared of the repercussions. Someone might sue us.

That's why private security agencies are going to be around first. The rich people will figure out a way to make it legal for themselves and we'll be escorting them around in big Suburbans and armed to the teeth, legally. John Q. Public won't take action until it's too late.

A handgun is a good gun to take with you when you go to get your rifle or shotgun

"I don't have to make it home... I just have to make it to the trunk of my car."

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.