Brad and Vika

Back from Ukraine/Czech

176 posts in this topic

No, I can't. Our parking is at the structure owned by the hotel next door.

That sucks. We've had legislation introduced to protect our right to carry and secure our handguns in privately owned vehicles on company lots. I believe the votes are taking place this spring.

Perhaps KY will have something similar after it passes in Ohio?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. We've had legislation introduced to protect our right to carry and secure our handguns in privately owned vehicles on company lots. I believe the votes are taking place this spring.

Perhaps KY will have something similar after it passes in Ohio?

We'll see. The bank also doesn't like the idea of employees bringing guns to work. You can imagine why.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We'll see. The bank also doesn't like the idea of employees bringing guns to work. You can imagine why.

Kentucky passed that legislation some years ago Brad. A private property owner CANNOT forbid you from keeping a firearm locked in your privately owned vehicle, IF the parking lot is generally open to the public. they CAN forbid you from carrying a firearm in the bank, but not keeping one in your PRIVATE vehicle. KRS 237.110(17)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Kentucky passed that legislation some years ago Brad. A private property owner CANNOT forbid you from keeping a firearm locked in your privately owned vehicle, IF the parking lot is generally open to the public. they CAN forbid you from carrying a firearm in the bank, but not keeping one in your PRIVATE vehicle. KRS 237.110(17)

But they CAN, and DO, have rules that require PRIVATE vehicles with firearms (not owned by police) be PARKED elsewhere. Since the bank, my EMPLOYER, pays for the parking, I prefer not to bring a firearm to work. I just do not feel like litigating :rofl:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I can imagine why they'd think that, but in truth, the bank would be a lot safer.

There it is.

But they CAN, and DO, have rules that require PRIVATE vehicles with firearms (not owned by police) be PARKED elsewhere. Since the bank, my EMPLOYER, pays for the parking, I prefer not to bring a firearm to work. I just do not feel like litigating :rofl:

Slippery slope gray area. Welcome to politics.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Your choice Brad. But Kentucky DOES have the law which protects your right to do so. I just wanted to note that. Kentucky was one of the first states to pass such a law. The Kentucky law does NOT bar an employer from terminating you for doing so, I am not questioning the wisdom of your choice. The law DOES prevent you from being prosecuted for a criminal violation. Bascially if you kept the gun in yr car, who would be the wiser? But it is your choice, to be sure.

Kentucky has been very progressive in the CCW area and is one of only two states (that I currently know of) that accepts my Vermont drivers license AS a CCW license. Kentucky and Indiana had made it part of their laws that they accept as reciprocal ANY permit or license of another state. Since Vermont has no CCW license but allows anyone to carry concealed without a license, Kentucky and Indiana both accept the fact I am a Vermont resident as authorization.

Gary And Alla

Most states have protection from criminal charges but stop short of protecting your job. New legislation (here in Ohio) is designed to protect jobs. An employer cannot fire you for something you're legally doing, right?

We had a similar debate with marijuana here at work the other day. One of my co-workers was talking about Arizona and, "if it's legal there now then an employer can't fire you for being high on the job." I said, "well, why not? You can't be drunk on the job and alcohol is perfectly legal, right?"

We're in kind of the same boat with the CCH. However, if we're abiding by the official policy (no guns except in private vehicles - which will be the policy mandated by law) then we can't be fired. It will be illegal for an employer to discriminate against someone exercising their 2A rights in accordance with the law. Right now, they're allowed to do so. That's gotta change!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Most states have protection from criminal charges but stop short of protecting your job. New legislation (here in Ohio) is designed to protect jobs. An employer cannot fire you for something you're legally doing, right?

We had a similar debate with marijuana here at work the other day. One of my co-workers was talking about Arizona and, "if it's legal there now then an employer can't fire you for being high on the job." I said, "well, why not? You can't be drunk on the job and alcohol is perfectly legal, right?"

We're in kind of the same boat with the CCH. However, if we're abiding by the official policy (no guns except in private vehicles - which will be the policy mandated by law) then we can't be fired. It will be illegal for an employer to discriminate against someone exercising their 2A rights in accordance with the law. Right now, they're allowed to do so. That's gotta change!

The Kentucky law is silent on the issue of employment. Kentucky, being a strict "at will" employment state, is not likely to go into that area.

I guess I am not a big supporter of the government dictating everything for which one can be fired, hired, etc. A lot of the problem comes from the permits themselves. eliminate the permits and let anyone carry concealed and all this becomes a moot point. Except for government buildings here one NEVER sees a "no guns allowed" sign. I carry a handgun pretty much all the time, anywhere I go. Exceptions being Pasha's school when I have to go there, government offices and that's about it. I really do not care if my employer likes it or not. If there was a policy against it...I would violate it. The gun is concealed, after all, and I do not go around showing it off. How is someone to know?

Brad can make his own decisions, of course, but Kentucky does have a law to protect your rights in your private vehicle.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My state recently passed a law allowing cc in bars...so long as the carrier does not drink. I guess that sounds a bit odd but my state also only allows on premises alcohol use where food is also served. So now I can eat out where alcohol is served and be armed. That was a step forward in the right direction of allowing more legal carry areas and locations.

Timeline

My state recently passed a law allowing cc in bars...so long as the carrier does not drink. I guess that sounds a bit odd but my state also only allows on premises alcohol use where food is also served. So now I can eat out where alcohol is served and be armed. That was a step forward in the right direction of allowing more legal carry areas and locations.

It is fairly common that after a state introduces CCW they will later increase areas where firearms can be carried or otherwise lift "restrictions" when they discover that all the bad things that were supposed to happen when they allowed law abiding people to carry guns...didn't.

Recently. Alaska and Arizona adopted "Vermont type" legislation, now referred to as "Constitutional Concealed Carry" that allows anyone to carry concealed...no permit necessary. Both kept their permits so their residents can have the option to get a permit which is accepted in other states. For now, probably a good idea. Iowa recently passed "shall issue" concealed carry and ALMOST started out with non-permit carry. I would like to see that trend continue. I expect to see Iowa change to the non-permit method before the first CCW permits expire. The permits themselves do nothing to prevent crime or prevent criminals from carrying concealed weapons.

Wisconsin will pass CCW in 2011 as they have the two previous years, but this time the new Governor will sign it. Illinois will be the last state that does not allow any form of concealed carry.

The best part of all this is how the issue of gun control has just been taken off the political stage entirely. The adoption of shall issue concealed carry has proven more than anything that "gun control" never did do anything to prevent crime. That and the complete failure of the "Brady Bill" and the "Assault Weapons Ban", both of which now dead and gone. For those of us old enough to remember the GCA '68 and the years following, it is almost unbelieveable to see the realtive comeplete LACK of proposed gun control. Except for a few remianing wacko areas, California is notable, it just is a non-issue. I remember Jimmy Carter promising in his campaign to "break the back" of the NRA within 6 months and ban handguns within one year. :lol:

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The momentum is definitely swinging towards pro gun rights and conceal carry rights after years of the government, both state and federal, working to take away the 2nd Amendment rights. Just look at West Virginia's senate democrat candidate (and winner)...taking a gun and shooting a hole through the Obama's cap & tax bill in one of his campaign ads.

But there are still goofy states that refuse to see the handwriting on the wall. My birth state, Maryland (the "free state"), still has nutty laws against guns in general and conceal carry rights. I remember when my late sister owned a business in Maryland. She and her husband were big gun owners and advocates. My sister had to make daily trips to the bank with cash in hand, so she applied for a carry license to protect herself and her money. She was denied. How crazy is that?

When I grew up it was not like that in Maryland. Such a shame. Just glad I live in a real "free state" now...at least a lot freer than Maryland.

Edited by visaveteran

Timeline

The momentum is definitely swinging towards pro gun rights and conceal carry rights after years of the government, both state and federal, working to take away the 2nd Amendment rights. Just look at West Virginia's senate democrat candidate (and winner)...taking a gun and shooting a hole through the Obama's cap & tax bill in one of his campaign ads.

But there are still goofy states that refuse to see the handwriting on the wall. My birth state, Maryland (the "free state"), still has nutty laws against guns in general and conceal carry rights. I remember when my late sister owned a business in Maryland. She and her husband were big gun owners and advocates. My sister had to make daily trips to the bank with cash in hand, so she applied for a carry license to protect herself and her money. She was denied. How crazy is that?

When I grew up it was not like that in Maryland. Such a shame. Just glad I live in a real "free state" now...at least a lot freer than Maryland.

I grew up in west Texas when it was actually against the law to carry a handgun "on or about" your person. There were a lot of loopholes in that law though and in the rural areas no one got too upset if you were carrying a handgun and couldn't care less if you had one on the dashboard or on the seat of your car. The .45 which belonged to my Dad and is now with me was always in the truck. They didn't even get too upset in the cities either if you had a weak excuse. There were no restrictions on rifles or shotguns at all. Texas was actually one of the late comers to the CCW party and with a fairly strict law, at least initially. But for anyone who thought that you could always carry a handgun in Texas...not true. They actually banned the "casual and habitual" carrying of handguns in 1873.

Gary And Alla

How is it that we have more guns and more people carrying but LESS crime? That just doesn't make any sense!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

How is it that we have more guns and more people carrying but LESS crime? That just doesn't make any sense!

:wacko:

Risk/benefit analysis. Crime is big business. Like any business, criminals assess risk/benefit. Increase the risk while reducing the benefit and crime goes down.

Hopefully, Illinois will maintain its ban on concealed carry and allow criminals somewhere safe to go. Once they are all there. we can build a fence around it and keep them in.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.