yahya_marie

we can't find a co-sponsor

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi everyone we filed I-130 in march after being denied at the embassy in january 2010 and our I-130 took 195 days to get approved now we are stuck at NVC because we can't find a co-sponsor we asked all the people we know and nothing all of you know how bad it is to be in this situation and we got to a dead end any ideas please

a8jag8ru6way.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi everyone we filed I-130 in march after being denied at the embassy in january 2010 and our I-130 took 195 days to get approved now we are stuck at NVC because we can't find a co-sponsor we asked all the people we know and nothing all of you know how bad it is to be in this situation and we got to a dead end any ideas please

I am hoping that you find a sponsor soon. I wish you well.

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Agreed. :thumbs:

The only solution if no one is willing to co-sponsor is to find additional income. Otherwise, I'm afraid, you're SOL.

Well sorry but it is probably for the best of everyone and your relationship. The minimum poverty guidelines for sponsorship are really not that great so if you really don't have that income level, you would just struggle with finances along with the struggles of a person moving to a new country.

Best bet might be to withdraw the petition and for you to get a new job or an additional job and make sure you ahve this very important part of the immigration process all nailed down before you do another petition. In the end it will be a good move for everyone.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I hope you can figure it out. I couldn't imagine being away from my husband! We're actually going through some financial issues ourselves right now, and it's difficult. Can you get a second job? Do you have any assets? I remember (vaguely) something about using assets to make up for a low income. I hope you're close to what you need...

As far as the guidelines go, it really depends on where you live. You know better than anyone else how comfortable (or not) you are right now. There are costs involved with having another person move in, of course. Also, make sure to do research now to help him find a job once he gets here. Some people find it difficult to find a job once they get here, but others get one after just a few months.

I wish the two of you the best of luck, and a speedy reunion.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I truly understand your pain. We were in the same situation. Our case was at NVC for over a year. And when we finally found a co-sponsor we thought we would have to start a new application. But they reinstated it, thankfully. They must have just wanted there system unclogged or I'm sure they wouldn't have done it for our benefit alone.

However, the pain of thinking we never would get a co-sponsor was excruciatingly rough, as there was no way I could go there and live with him. I was at times desperate and depressed and I did not handle it well.

The person we found was a stranger who felt it was no big deal and was familiar with the process. It was fortunate and unusal that we found her because otherwise it never would have happened. My family and friends just would not do it. I felt alone and really resented them for this at the time but now that I'm not living under the cloud of desperation and frustration I do understand their point.

However, some of the above comments that were made were true even though it may hurt you to read them. We do have a hard time because of the low income and he has yet to find regular work, but bless his heart he works his a@# off when he does have some work. And it helps so much. Our co-sponsor is only on paper and does not contribute and we did not expect her to do so either.

It is however so discouraging and frustrating to always be in desperate mode financially. We knew it was gonna be hard but we really had no idea how hard. Yes, it's a strain on the marriage and if we didn't love each other we wouldn't have made it.

The wait for him to get here was so hard it took a lot out of us, and if we hadn't got that co-sponsor when we did I doubt we'd have made it too many more months, we both had just about had enough. And now financial troubles and job hunting and so much more I won't share here, it takes it toll.

For me, it's kind of like when people tell you that it's hard to have kids, so much work and responsibility. But you don't really understand what they mean till you experience it yourself.

I'm not really trying to dissuade you just wanted to let you hear the voice of experience.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, as Venus mentioned to you in her post regarding Assets. I used 401 K assets and my savings to qualify with a part time job. No problem and approved.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

hi everyone we filed I-130 in march after being denied at the embassy in january 2010 for k-1

and our I-130 took 195 days to get approved now we are stuck at NVC for 2 months because we can't find a co-sponsor we asked all the people we know and nothing all of you know how bad it is to be in this situation and we got to a dead end any ideas please

a8jag8ru6way.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How far under the poverty line are you?

Any chance you could get a second job (even two nights a week at McD's will add up), or have assets you could include, or your foreign spouse have savings you could count?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved from MENA to NVC to merge with new thread on same topic

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

How far under the poverty line are you?

Any chance you could get a second job (even two nights a week at McD's will add up), or have assets you could include, or your foreign spouse have savings you could count?

im $800 under the poverty line and im disabled

a8jag8ru6way.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Do you have assets to cover the difference ? Does he have any relatives here that are USCs or PR's ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

All you need is $2,400 in assets to overcome the $800 shortfall. Is this possible?

Per this USCIS Page:

Income Requirements

You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)

If you, the sponsor, are on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, and the immigrant you are sponsoring is your spouse or child, your income only needs to equal 100% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size.

To see if you are above the poverty level, see the “Form I-864P” link to the right.

If You Can’t Meet the Minimum Income Requirements

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

You may add the cash value of your assets. This includes money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).

Exceptions:

If the person being sponsored is a spouse, or son/daughter (who is 18 years or older) of a U.S. citizen: The minimum cash value of assets must be three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and 125% of the federal poverty guide line for the household.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.