Mike&Cherry

I-130 and I-864 question. Please help me; I'm new here.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Wow we did not know that the cert. of marriage that they type there at the civil reg. is not good enough for USCIS. But I have the Nso version (electronic endorsement) I guess we are getting an RFE!!!

And you would be wrong. A stand alone I-130 is filed without an I-485. You never file an I-130 and I-129F together.

Wow we did not know that the cert. of marriage that they type there at the civil reg. is not good enough for USCIS. But I have the Nso version (electronic endorsement) I guess we are getting an RFE!!!

The civil registry marriage certificate is fine for USCIS but the NSO version will be needed when NVC comes calling. No RFE for this.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you would be wrong. A stand alone I-130 is filed without an I-485. You never file an I-130 and I-129F together.

The civil registry marriage certificate is fine for USCIS but the NSO version will be needed when NVC comes calling. No RFE for this.

Thank You Sir for the clarification! :thumbs: Thinking of Nvc now.:wacko::bonk:

Noa1-2010-01-06 Noa2-2010-27-10

Nvc recieve 2010-02-11

Ds-3032 e-mailed 2010-03-11

Recieved Aos bill 2010-05-11

Paid Aos bill 2010-05-11

Sent Aos -n- IV 2010-07-11

Aos accepted 2010-17-11

Paid IV bill 2010-11-11

RFD 2010-??-12 They want the green NBI police clearance

not the one from the local municipal

Nvc received RFD response and avr back to review 2010-16-12 (Some reason it now says received RFD 2010-30-12)

Sif 2010-N/a

Sif 2011-04-01

Case complete 2011-05-01 Wow a real Journey

Interview date notification Feb 20th,,2011

Interview Feb 4th,,,2011 8:30 a.m. Only two weeks from Notification Date

Medical Jan 31st

Approved Feb 4th Only three questions!!!

Visa recieved Feb 10th

Landed on American soil Feb 12th

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, my husband called the USCIS before to ask if the civil registar's copy is good enough and they say it's okay. But I still chose to wait for the NSO marriage certificate to be sure. Someone who also wrote a comment on this thread said the NSO is the one that is required. :wacko: Quite confusing! :lol: But hey! You didn't get any RFE notice yet and if you will, you already have the security paper so you can mail it right away. Let's just hope no RFE for you so it wouldn't take additional time for them to grant the noa2! :D

This is good to know that I should get it anyways just in case and that it will eventually be needed. But now I'm seriously thinking about getting the K-1 Visa. That's a big decision that I'm waiting to discuss with my love Cherry the next time we talk. Thanks again for your help and taking the time to make sure I get everything right.

Mike

Timeline

Thank you everyone for you helpful and in-depth responses. With the K-1 Visa application requirements I misread or got confused with what is needed. That's great to know that the K-1 is now an option. I want to be with Cherry in the U.S. as soon as possible. The only thing is that we want to get married in the Philippines. I also would like to do this out of respect for her parents, family and friends. She is the only daughter in her family and this is a big life event that I know they all want to see. They're also going to be my family too so I want to share this special moment with them all. I also don't know if her parents will allow for her to leave their home without her getting married first. There are a really nice conservative family. I'll know the answer to this in a couple of hours once I talk to her. Is there a way to have a Catholic ceremony without making it a fully legal marriage. Once we are married legally are we ineligable for the K-1? I assume yes, but maybe someone here knows a loophole. I look forward to hearing back from you with your thoughts and advice about our options. Thanks.

Mike

Talk about confusing...maybe the NSO certificates are only required at the interview...

Here's what I got from the US Embassy in Manila.

http://photos.state....0_updated2_.pdf

hmmm...I may file with just the civil registrar copies.

George

Well, my husband called the USCIS before to ask if the civil registar's copy is good enough and they say it's okay. But I still chose to wait for the NSO marriage certificate to be sure. Someone who also wrote a comment on this thread said the NSO is the one that is required. :wacko: Quite confusing! :lol: But hey! You didn't get any RFE notice yet and if you will, you already have the security paper so you can mail it right away. Let's just hope no RFE for you so it wouldn't take additional time for them to grant the noa2! :D

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Thank you everyone for you helpful and in-depth responses. With the K-1 Visa application requirements I misread or got confused with what is needed. That's great to know that the K-1 is now an option. I want to be with Cherry in the U.S. as soon as possible. The only thing is that we want to get married in the Philippines. I also would like to do this out of respect for her parents, family and friends. She is the only daughter in her family and this is a big life event that I know they all want to see. They're also going to be my family too so I want to share this special moment with them all. I also don't know if her parents will allow for her to leave their home without her getting married first. There are a really nice conservative family. I'll know the answer to this in a couple of hours once I talk to her. Is there a way to have a Catholic ceremony without making it a fully legal marriage. Once we are married legally are we ineligable for the K-1? I assume yes, but maybe someone here knows a loophole. I look forward to hearing back from you with your thoughts and advice about our options. Thanks.

Mike

I totally understand about family being conservative. I'm not the only daughter but I'm the youngest and my parents are quite overprotective. I'm just glad my husband understands and that's why we both decided to get married here in the Philippines. This is something you have to talk thoroughly with Cherry. Anyway, if you get married here in the PI, yu would be ineligible for K1 processing. But you can file fr CR1 instead and for me, there are also advatages with an immigrant visa. There'd be no need for her to adjust her status once she gets there and she can work from day 1, no need to file for Employment Authorization Document. But I do have to say, basing from other people that I know, is that K1 takes a shorter time compared to Immigrant visa. Goodluck on which way you guys will choose. As long as the decision is mutual, that's what really matters. Mind you, this journey demands a lot of patience from both of you so better consider the pros and cons. Godbless :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Mike

Hey Mike good evening to you. I wanted to give you some input of what to expect from my perspective only because I went down this road your going through. So I went last year to the Philippines and my stay was only a month.. IT WAS A BUSY month indeed. We had to prepare everything ahead for this. First my wife had to get her Cenomar (Showing singleness for her part) She did that before I went there, because I believe there is a turn around time for 2 weeks.. maybe shorter, but you want to get that knocked out asap! Shortly after I arrived there I had to goto the Embassy I believe on Roxas blvd. in Manila and had to get my cenomar showing I am single and not married. I got the paper that day. Of course don't forget to goto the immigration office and renew your passport after the initial 21 days of being there. We didn't have a big church wedding due to the timing, because if it was in church there is a month full of things that would have been required to do and we just didn't have the time, so we went to a recreation hall that catered to Weddings, told them when and what we wanted.. overall i think we spent like 700 usd on the wedding that included everything, it was great. If you want to get suited up for the wedding get a barong and her dress, along with maid of honor and best man, god fathers, and god mothers, ring bearer and flower girl(s) at the malls there. not a bad price. We got married in her province so we had to setup marriage counseling before we got married it was quite interesting.. when they go around the room asking how many kids you want tell them 1,000,000 lol it was humorous. A couple days after the counseling, we were married and we signed the marriage papers it was a great time!! I would do it all over again if I could. But anyhow, after you leave she can take care of the rest like getting the NSO copy of the marriage certificate. IF you send her anything send her through fedex.. mail system sucks there. but fedex guarantee 3 day delivery to her door they even call her before they drop off. if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask add me to your friends I don't mind answering your questions.. ingat ka (take care)

9/20/09 We got married <3

uscis.jpg

11/15/09 USCIS received I-130

11/20/09 NoA1 received

11/25/09 USCIS received I-129f

12/1/09 NoA1 received

2/11/10 I-130&I-129f Approved!

2/15/10 Received NoA2 for both

2/17/10 NVC Case number issued

nvc2.png

2/18/10 Emailed DS3032

2/19/10 Received AOS bill

2/24/10 AoS bill paid online $70.00

2/24/10 IV bill paid online $400.00

2/25/2010 AoS fee bill shows Paid

3/1/2010 IV bill shows Paid

8/13/2010 Sent DS-230

8/17/2010 Sent AOS

8/18/2010 NVC received DS-230

8/19/2010 NVC received AOS

9/14/2010 Received RFE Checklist

9/20/2010 Sent RFE checklist and supporting documents

9/28/2010 NVC received FEDEX

10/19/2010 Sign In Failed

11/06/2010 Received appointment date!

EMBSSY.png

11/15/2010(1)11/19(2) & 11/24(3) Medical-Passed

12/6/2010 Interview Date-PASSED!

12/10/2010 Visa Recv'd - 2go

12/14/2010 POE in LA

12/01/2012 File for Adjustment of Status

Hey Mike good evening to you. I wanted to give you some input of what to expect from my perspective only because I went down this road your going through. So I went last year to the Philippines and my stay was only a month.. IT WAS A BUSY month indeed. We had to prepare everything ahead for this. First my wife had to get her Cenomar (Showing singleness for her part) She did that before I went there, because I believe there is a turn around time for 2 weeks.. maybe shorter, but you want to get that knocked out asap! Shortly after I arrived there I had to goto the Embassy I believe on Roxas blvd. in Manila and had to get my cenomar showing I am single and not married. I got the paper that day. Of course don't forget to goto the immigration office and renew your passport after the initial 21 days of being there. We didn't have a big church wedding due to the timing, because if it was in church there is a month full of things that would have been required to do and we just didn't have the time, so we went to a recreation hall that catered to Weddings, told them when and what we wanted.. overall i think we spent like 700 usd on the wedding that included everything, it was great. If you want to get suited up for the wedding get a barong and her dress, along with maid of honor and best man, god fathers, and god mothers, ring bearer and flower girl(s) at the malls there. not a bad price. We got married in her province so we had to setup marriage counseling before we got married it was quite interesting.. when they go around the room asking how many kids you want tell them 1,000,000 lol it was humorous. A couple days after the counseling, we were married and we signed the marriage papers it was a great time!! I would do it all over again if I could. But anyhow, after you leave she can take care of the rest like getting the NSO copy of the marriage certificate. IF you send her anything send her through fedex.. mail system sucks there. but fedex guarantee 3 day delivery to her door they even call her before they drop off. if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask add me to your friends I don't mind answering your questions.. ingat ka (take care)

For cenomar you must make an appointment now,,,they changed it a few months ago,, you can no longer just walk in and get it.

Noa1-2010-01-06 Noa2-2010-27-10

Nvc recieve 2010-02-11

Ds-3032 e-mailed 2010-03-11

Recieved Aos bill 2010-05-11

Paid Aos bill 2010-05-11

Sent Aos -n- IV 2010-07-11

Aos accepted 2010-17-11

Paid IV bill 2010-11-11

RFD 2010-??-12 They want the green NBI police clearance

not the one from the local municipal

Nvc received RFD response and avr back to review 2010-16-12 (Some reason it now says received RFD 2010-30-12)

Sif 2010-N/a

Sif 2011-04-01

Case complete 2011-05-01 Wow a real Journey

Interview date notification Feb 20th,,2011

Interview Feb 4th,,,2011 8:30 a.m. Only two weeks from Notification Date

Medical Jan 31st

Approved Feb 4th Only three questions!!!

Visa recieved Feb 10th

Landed on American soil Feb 12th

Timeline

I totally understand about family being conservative. I'm not the only daughter but I'm the youngest and my parents are quite overprotective. I'm just glad my husband understands and that's why we both decided to get married here in the Philippines. This is something you have to talk thoroughly with Cherry. Anyway, if you get married here in the PI, yu would be ineligible for K1 processing. But you can file fr CR1 instead and for me, there are also advatages with an immigrant visa. There'd be no need for her to adjust her status once she gets there and she can work from day 1, no need to file for Employment Authorization Document. But I do have to say, basing from other people that I know, is that K1 takes a shorter time compared to Immigrant visa. Goodluck on which way you guys will choose. As long as the decision is mutual, that's what really matters. Mind you, this journey demands a lot of patience from both of you so better consider the pros and cons. Godbless :)

I like how they are conservative. They are genuinely good people who really care about there daughter. By her being raised this way shows how many great qualities she has. We're leaning towards just sticking with our original plan. Get married first and then file the CR1. civil wedding first. Then around the time she gets her Visa we will have a church wedding and then come back to the US together. Thanks for your advice with the marriage certificate; good to know. We prefer for her to have the benefits from the CR1 visa and no extra problems or filing with the K-1. Still seriously thinking about the K-1, but at this point haven't decided to go that route. We have a genuine relationship, it's just proving that to the Consulate can be a pain in th butt. I don't think we will have any problems. I was wondering if say we went the K-1 route and it was denied, then do we still have the chance to get married and then go for the CR-1? With all of the stuff I read about the whole process being so difficult I always want to make sure that we have other options. We feel that going the marriage route would minimumize those options. We want to get married for sure first, but we just don't want any problems with immigration. I am aware of what type of evidence they want and we have plenty of that. Also wich Visa is more of a sure thing or having a better chance of approval as long as we do everything they want correctly? Thanks always for your help, advice and just listening to my concerns. God Bless.

Mike

Timeline

How's it going? Thanks for your advice. We are going to get a civil wedding first and attempt to complete most of the Church requirements during that month, so that for when I go back everything can be panned out well and to minimize any last minute requirements. Wow, 700 dollars, that's super cheap. I was thinking like I was going to have to spend about 5,000-7,000 dollars on the wedding. I guess we're going to have a very big and extravigant wedding. I can't wait. And I really want Cherry to have her dream wedding. She deserves it. and I want her family to be there for it; And of course her family will be my family too. And when you said you got your Cenomar, do you mean you got your legal capacity? Because I cannot get a 'No Marriage" record here in the US in my state. Also I don't understand the 21 day passport thing. Why do I have to update it? Is it required? and will I have problems with Philippine Customs in the airport when I arrive because I'll be staying for 28 days? Well I look forward from hearing back from you. Take care.

Mike

Timeline

For cenomar you must make an appointment now,,,they changed it a few months ago,, you can no longer just walk in and get it.

Thanks for the tip. I already tried to book an appointment, but they do not book appointments too far in advance. The appointment can only be book a few days in advance on the website. When you do book it, it shows how many appointments are available. Didn't seem like they had to many people going to the Embassy for the legal capacity. But of course once the appointment date is available for me, I will book it ASAP. I just want to avoid any problems. Thanks and I'll talk to you later.

Mike

Timeline

just make sure you know that after you marry there in the philippine and then file it will take much longer for your wife to get her visa and be in america with you,we filed for a k1 visa on july15 2009 and i received my visa on dec 7 flew to america dec 9 and had a civil wedding jan 7 2010 now we a going to have a philippina catholic wedding in 2011 and we will bring our new daughter

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How's it going? Thanks for your advice. We are going to get a civil wedding first and attempt to complete most of the Church requirements during that month, so that for when I go back everything can be panned out well and to minimize any last minute requirements.

Hey Mike-

Thats great to hear that your making all these plans almost reminds me of me, a year or so ago when I did this adventure. Like a previous poster mentioned, this process does take longer but not to much. If you look at my signature of events, You will see that its been since Nov 2009 until finally now we are just waiting for an interview. There was a time that I got the paperwork approved, and fees paid but after that there was nothing until august 2010. Thats because my wife was going to have a baby and I was going out there again, and I didn't want to have the interview while I was there, because 1. Wasn't prepared for the CRBA process for our son, and 2. JUST in case NVC needed more documents, I didn't want to be in Philippines and not have that with me.. So I waited until August to finish where I left off in April/May. Everything is almost done :thumbs:

Wow, 700 dollars, that's super cheap. I was thinking like I was going to have to spend about 5,000-7,000 dollars on the wedding. I guess we're going to have a very big and extravagant wedding. I can't wait. And I really want Cherry to have her dream wedding. She deserves it. and I want her family to be there for it; And of course her family will be my family too.

Me and the wife of mine are planning on another wedding when she finally arrives as well, just so we can do a larger one with my family and some of hers here. :yes:

Yeah about the price of the wedding, 700 usd for a wedding in our eyes is cheap, but of course its not to them. Got to love the American dollar. But 700 was an average wedding, covered all basis wasn't cheap wasn't off the wall elegant.

And when you said you got your Cenomar, do you mean you got your legal capacity? Because I cannot get a 'No Marriage" record here in the US in my state.

Mike, about this subject... Yeah Legal Capacity to Marry, you go to the US Embassy a previous poster said its by schedule now. But you go there a swear your single and they give the document needed for your marriage to take place in Philippines. As far as anything else needed for us I was set with just that. Things change from time to time, I would always check with the US Embassy Website tons of info for you there.

Also I don't understand the 21 day passport thing. Why do I have to update it? Is it required? and will I have problems with Philippine Customs in the airport when I arrive because I'll be staying for 28 days?

Ok here is the steps.. When you land in Philippines, your going to be walking to like an endless horizon.. kidding.. you will come to an immigration check point, a bunch of people in line, stand on the left side of the lines, because like the 4-6 lines on the far right is for resident immigration. When you get to that counter they will ask you for the information you filled out on the plane, as well as your passport, they will stamp your passport, that stamp there is good for 21 days. Yes, this part is going to suck... your going to have to go down there to the immigration office before that 21 days is up to renew your passport even if its just 7 more days in which your stay is going to be. I think it was around 60 USD for the stamp to extend to 54 days total.. I would advise that you go there maybe a week before the 21 days mark hits only because anything crazy can happen; storms, brown outs.. etc etc.. so its good to be on your toes. If you get that renewal you WONT have an issue, if you don't, then you can face fines and imprisonment(i don't know from experience, I just read that on the site and I don't really want to be in a jail there)

But that is pretty much it, if you havent been there before its a way different way of living, the people are great people(majority) When your leaving the airport try and get a metered taxi, if you catch a taxi at the airport you might have the option for a metered one. There pretty much no sense in driving there, transportation within is cheap. just be careful, when you hear Special when your wife gets a ride for you, be prepared to make a whole 2 dollars for that ride lol. Tricycles are fun to ride, jeepneys are pretty cool, cramped but cool. watch your wallet, fine jewelry. flip flops, shorts and a t shirt is the style pretty much. Dont drink teh water or have ice in your cup. I am not sure where your going when you get there. Mosquitoes aren't afraid of "OFF bug spray" either. lol not kidding. but if you have any more questions send me a message and I will respond promptly.

9/20/09 We got married <3

uscis.jpg

11/15/09 USCIS received I-130

11/20/09 NoA1 received

11/25/09 USCIS received I-129f

12/1/09 NoA1 received

2/11/10 I-130&I-129f Approved!

2/15/10 Received NoA2 for both

2/17/10 NVC Case number issued

nvc2.png

2/18/10 Emailed DS3032

2/19/10 Received AOS bill

2/24/10 AoS bill paid online $70.00

2/24/10 IV bill paid online $400.00

2/25/2010 AoS fee bill shows Paid

3/1/2010 IV bill shows Paid

8/13/2010 Sent DS-230

8/17/2010 Sent AOS

8/18/2010 NVC received DS-230

8/19/2010 NVC received AOS

9/14/2010 Received RFE Checklist

9/20/2010 Sent RFE checklist and supporting documents

9/28/2010 NVC received FEDEX

10/19/2010 Sign In Failed

11/06/2010 Received appointment date!

EMBSSY.png

11/15/2010(1)11/19(2) & 11/24(3) Medical-Passed

12/6/2010 Interview Date-PASSED!

12/10/2010 Visa Recv'd - 2go

12/14/2010 POE in LA

12/01/2012 File for Adjustment of Status

Timeline

Hey Mike-

Thats great to hear that your making all these plans almost reminds me of me, a year or so ago when I did this adventure. Like a previous poster mentioned, this process does take longer but not to much. If you look at my signature of events, You will see that its been since Nov 2009 until finally now we are just waiting for an interview. There was a time that I got the paperwork approved, and fees paid but after that there was nothing until august 2010. Thats because my wife was going to have a baby and I was going out there again, and I didn't want to have the interview while I was there, because 1. Wasn't prepared for the CRBA process for our son, and 2. JUST in case NVC needed more documents, I didn't want to be in Philippines and not have that with me.. So I waited until August to finish where I left off in April/May. Everything is almost done :thumbs:

First of all I want to wish you the best in completing your long journey soon. And good luck with your wedding in the Philippines.

It's kind of cool that we can relate to each other and everyone else on this forum too. Even better that you have alomost completed the process in which I'm about to begin. Thanks so much for the advice; I need all I can get. The only thing I don't like about the CR-1 Visa is that once you get married your pretty much locked into that particular visa and there's no other back up options, that I know of. Of course I don't want to be apart from Cherry too long. I'm kind of worried what will happen if we're denied or if Immigration decides to take forever. I've seen some couples wait a year and longer and then some get denied. I can't imagine how they feel and I don't wat to experience that.

I have a question. As long as we have a genuine relationship and I know we can prove it, what is the best method to secure a visa for Cherry, K-1 or CR-1? Are there a lot of people that get denied with the CR-1? Or are there more denials with the K-1 Visa? And why does it take so long for them to process everything? Is the K-1 Visa a safer way to go especially because there are other avenues to follow if we are denied? I'm so worried of all of the uncertainty that the government leaves us with. Fortunately we still have 2 months left to make a final decision of what type of visa to go for. We just want to make sure that we make the best and most secure choice with no regrets. Thanks everyone for always listen to me and providing fantastic advice. I look hearing back from anyone who can help ease my mind so that we can make the right choice.

Mike

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.