BinhJerome

Anyone coming to Vietnam?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If anyone is coming to Vietnam, let me know. I need a few small things from the US if possible. I need a large bottle of vanilla extract, along with a few other extracts (cherry,mint,grape.) If you are headed to HCMC let me know and I will pay you once you arrive, or I can even order and have them shipped to your US address prior to you leaving.

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd love to go. In fact, I have dreams about going back. Unfortunately, it's just not possible with my current budget. Used to be I could cover the whole trip with a few thousand bucks. Now I need to buy more tickets, as well as the obligatory "gift" cash that Viet Kieu are expected to bring with them. My wife's uncle says $10K would cover it, but her nephew says his first trip back cost $20K! :blink:

It breaks my heart because Phuong is watching her granddaughter grow up on webcam. Maybe we'll be able to go this coming spring.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If anyone is coming to Vietnam, let me know. I need a few small things from the US if possible. I need a large bottle of vanilla extract, along with a few other extracts (cherry,mint,grape.) If you are headed to HCMC let me know and I will pay you once you arrive, or I can even order and have them shipped to your US address prior to you leaving.

Jerome

Jerome, i'm planning on going there for my wife's 1st interview, but still waiting for NVC and not sure if her interview will be in Nov or Dec. I will definitely let you know once I hear anything.

AJ

Timeline

Jerome, i'm planning on going there for my wife's 1st interview, but still waiting for NVC and not sure if her interview will be in Nov or Dec. I will definitely let you know once I hear anything.

AJ

Thanks I greatly appreciate that!

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'd love to go. In fact, I have dreams about going back. Unfortunately, it's just not possible with my current budget. Used to be I could cover the whole trip with a few thousand bucks. Now I need to buy more tickets, as well as the obligatory "gift" cash that Viet Kieu are expected to bring with them. My wife's uncle says $10K would cover it, but her nephew says his first trip back cost $20K! :blink:

It breaks my heart because Phuong is watching her granddaughter grow up on webcam. Maybe we'll be able to go this coming spring.

Have you let them know that you personally are not the Bank of America? Sounds a bit steep. :help:

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Have you let them know that you personally are not the Bank of America? Sounds a bit steep. :help:

Phuong understands, and she's not putting any pressure on me. I guess it's a pride thing. Her cousin hasn't been back in 10 years. He can come up with the airfare but not the gift money. He says it would be humiliating to go back empty handed.

Phuong's sister is going back next month. We're packing a bunch of clothes and stuff for her to bring with her.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Jerome, I won't be coming myself anytime soon, but work in a Vietnamese church and people go back all the time. If they think it's for me, they'd be willing to carry something small. Just had someone leave Wednesday; don't know when the next one will be, but it's probably soonish. I'll try to let you know if you haven't gotten your stuff yet. Are you suggesting though that in all those fancy new shops in TPHCM nobody has vanilla extract? Let me see what I can find out for you on that too... my fiancee is a baker you know... (which isn't gonna be good for my weight.)

Jim, What you're saying is so sad but true. I know lots of people who love going back, but just can't because of the whole money thing. Meanwhile, by now their relatives are living over there better than they are. In the past, there was nothing at 'home,' but now there is opportunity in VN and people need to seize it. I knew one guy who was quite successful over here and had a policy that he never gave his family money, but he helped them set up businesses, etc. Worked out better for both of them in the end.

One of my friends from church went around SE Asia doing mission concerts this year. They stopped in Hanoi just for a break. His family lives just outside of Hanoi, but he didn't even go to visit them b/c it would have cost more than the whole rest of the trip.

On a final note, I brought my fiancee some expensive perfume... but also told her not to get used to it, b/c regular American people can't afford to wear that... we can only afford to buy it once in a while to bring it back to VN as a gift. :-)

Jerome

My family is going back to Vietnam for my wedding, total for 5 people but on Nov 17, let me know if i can help you out

Edited by Zachary Vu

04-14-2010 Sent 129F

11-08-2010 SWEET PINK

11-16-2010 Visa received

12-03-2010 POE: Chicago, IL

12-10-2010 Married in Civil Court

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Jerome,

There are "dich vu" (services) here in Sacramento/NorCal that will deliver about $3-4 per pound (mininum 5-10 pounds depending on which servicer). My guess a $30/$40 order will get you 10 pounds delivered to your address in a couple weeks.

Let me know if you want to do this.

Filed: Timeline

What gift cash?? from who? to who? I guess i never knew about that custom. For what is it?

Timeline

Holly Cow !!! I must have missed that memo !! I guess I had better ask my wife about our first trip back to VN together. My first trip to see my honey was on TET holiday (new year) this year. I had brought a few hundred extra dollars to give to the younger relatives for new year gifts. The children were blown away just to get a couple of bucks. I brought some small gifts for everyone in her family and have done this everytime I have went back. But... 10 grand just to come back and say hi to everyone !!! Thats one damn expensive vacation !!

Timeline

Holly Cow !!! I must have missed that memo !! I guess I had better ask my wife about our first trip back to VN together. My first trip to see my honey was on TET holiday (new year) this year. I had brought a few hundred extra dollars to give to the younger relatives for new year gifts. The children were blown away just to get a couple of bucks. I brought some small gifts for everyone in her family and have done this everytime I have went back. But... 10 grand just to come back and say hi to everyone !!! Thats one damn expensive vacation !!

Your wife is now married to an American. All of her immediate relatives are now big shots in their village or town. Everyone knows there's an American in-law in the family. Even someone who earns a modest living in the US will have income that is far above what most VN people make. Everyone there knows this.

When your wife returns she will be Viet Kieu - a Vietnamese person living abroad. As an American Viet Kieu, she'll be expected to share her newfound "riches" with her family and friends. If she doesn't, it will not only disgrace her, it will disgrace her family, as well.

Your wife has ventured off into the world to "make her fortune". As long as she's gone, then she's still making that fortune. If she returns without bringing some of that fortune back to her family then she'll be a failure. You need to realize how important this Asian "saving face" thing is. There is nothing in American culture to compare with it.

Timeline

Hi Jerome,

There are "dich vu" (services) here in Sacramento/NorCal that will deliver about $3-4 per pound (mininum 5-10 pounds depending on which servicer). My guess a $30/$40 order will get you 10 pounds delivered to your address in a couple weeks.

Let me know if you want to do this.

Send me their number, I can call with my majic jack when I am really hard up for something american. I dont mind paying for things I need, just hard to get them here even if you do pay!

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

I wish you would have posted this prior to my trip. I would have brought them over for you.

As for the gifts when returning to Vietnam, time will make you understand. I complained why we had to buy so much stuff before our trip back. I only understood after seeing how much love and care her family has showed me. I was sitting here working just a half hour ago and my mother in law walks in with a plate of fruit and a bottle of water. They won't let me pay for anything.

You not only have to buy gifts before coming over, but then you have to buy gifts going home as well as supplies. 10 G's seems pretty high to me, but each couple is different. The small gifts that you give brings extreme happiness that won't be forgotten.

Your culture's blend into one and that one you both must embrace.

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Timeline

I wish you would have posted this prior to my trip. I would have brought them over for you.

As for the gifts when returning to Vietnam, time will make you understand. I complained why we had to buy so much stuff before our trip back. I only understood after seeing how much love and care her family has showed me. I was sitting here working just a half hour ago and my mother in law walks in with a plate of fruit and a bottle of water. They won't let me pay for anything.

You not only have to buy gifts before coming over, but then you have to buy gifts going home as well as supplies. 10 G's seems pretty high to me, but each couple is different. The small gifts that you give brings extreme happiness that won't be forgotten.

Your culture's blend into one and that one you both must embrace.

I know the feeling, when I would come, I would always bring gifts, usually made by myself, or things they just cant get over here. I would bring home made pickles, jelly,beef jerky and salsa. They would leave the house faster than you could count being sent out as gifts to the family and friends. The biggest hit was the american peppers, and cheesecakes that I would bring over. I would always save cash for her mom, but most of the family. The face thing is really there, but for family to expect $10,000 in cash gifts seems like they are those looking for easy money, and not wanting to do anything for it. I am sure each family is different, some probably do expect cash, but as long as you bring something, that is what really matters.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.