Waitinggent

Travel On Green Card

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sporting purposes only, eh?

Most of the Canucks I've talked to have assured me of this, city folks aside, and have even related their ownership to freedom much in the same way our 2A works here. "We have guns too. That's why we're free. There are a lot more guns in Canada than the government knows aboooot."

I'd argue the reasoning. Sure it's popular for sporting purposes.... but it's also their "freedom" cartridge. Notice how they've never let that one go?

I'm not so syre about the "city folks aside" part. I was very surprised to find as many trap/skeet clubs around Montreal as there is. It is a city/region of some 2 million people but has far more shooting opportunities than exist in cities of 2 million here. As may be expected, the membership of such Vermont clubs as "Franklin County Sportsmans Club" are heavily (much more than 50%) Canadian. Not surpising when you calculate that within a 2 hour drive of my home 90% of the people are French speaking Canadians. Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, Canadians love their guns. The government has spent billions on this silly firearm registration law, they have prevented -0- crime and they estimate no better than 40% of firearms in Canada are actually registered.

Enfield Mk III and Mk IV rifles were sold cheaply as surplus in Canada for many years. They are used in the backwoods to kill moose, bear, caribou and all sorts of critters we are told are "too big" for that cartridge. Do not tell the Quebecois around Lake Abitibi about that. while it can be hard to find a box of 7mm Remington Mag, you can get .303 British at any "Canadian Tire" store. Winchester lever guns are popular also and the RCMP used M1876 Winchesters in .45-75 chambering until 1970! Go figure! Have you ever seen a Ross rifle. There was never a better made military rifle in terms of materials, fit and finish. Obviously Canadians had long winters and lots of time on their hands. But for the flaw that if assembled incorrectly it would shoot it's bolt backward into your eye, ( :wow: )it was the best rife ever to go to war!

Handguins CAN be owned by citizens but it is not easy. Most popular? The Browning 9mm Hi-Power. Big surprise. They were cranked out by the hundreds of thousands at Ingliss in Montreal for many years.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

While I'm a big fan of Enfields, etc., I'm a much bigger fan of AR-15s and AK-47s. Sure, you can have a respectable "vote" with Enfields and skeet guns, but it's a lot more persuasive to cast your ballot with a few extra mags handy.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

While I'm a big fan of Enfields, etc., I'm a much bigger fan of AR-15s and AK-47s. Sure, you can have a respectable "vote" with Enfields and skeet guns, but it's a lot more persuasive to cast your ballot with a few extra mags handy.

Lest you think I somehow concede to the Canadian firearm owners oppression, nothing could be further than the truth which is WHY my home is on THIS side of the border AND on THIS side of Lake Champlain!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

FYI one of my projects right now is at Century International Arms in Georgia, VT (near St Albans) They are making a very high quality but kind of pricey AK right here in northern Vermont. They have racks and racks full of SVT 40 rifles, AKs and refurbished FN-LARs in various stages of remanufacture (plus the newly built AKs) PLUS hundreds of other firearms of all types in various stages of restoration for resale. Awesome place. Borderline orgasmic. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Century does make (or, I should say, assemble) a fine firearm.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Century does make (or, I should say, assemble) a fine firearm.

Assemble is more correct. The parts are made a various locations IN THE USA to their specs. (For their US AK47) They do the final fit, finish here. They also refurbish lots of foreign made and mil-surplus firearms. I can vouch for their operation. It is very interesting to see. They get lots of suprlus AK barreled actions from Romania. They have a line making the FN LAR which uses a mixture of surplus re-finished parts and new parts, including barrels. They have 3 firing lines for testing. The guns are tested and meet specs before being refinished and assembled with new stocks (FN LARs make extensive use of genuine parts also)

Gary And Alla

Like most other things, "made in the USA" = more expensive. It also means better quality too, but that's neither here nor there with an AK-47.

Русский форум член.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Like most other things, "made in the USA" = more expensive. It also means better quality too, but that's neither here nor there with an AK-47.

My father owned a British Enfield...among other weapons. He was a hunter, so after awhile he took it to a gunshop and had it sporterized as a hunting rifle, complete with a new stock and scope. He bagged a deer with it.

I think he bought it a Sears or Montgomery Wards back when surplus guns were abundant and dirt cheap...and available all over the place. I wish I had picked up a few M-1s back then...very cheap. I did buy an old German Mauser...it was as long as I am tall. I lucked out and found a beautiful stainless steel bayonet for it later on. The bayonet alone was like a sword. With it attached you could really "reach out and touch someone." I was just a teenager when I got it. Wish I'd have kept it as a collection piece.

Timeline

I will say that I think an AK can be of excellent quality, though they are never of the precision that ARs are, for example, but then that was never the plan.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My father owned a British Enfield...among other weapons. He was a hunter, so after awhile he took it to a gunshop and had it sporterized as a hunting rifle, complete with a new stock and scope. He bagged a deer with it.

I think he bought it a Sears or Montgomery Wards back when surplus guns were abundant and dirt cheap...and available all over the place. I wish I had picked up a few M-1s back then...very cheap. I did buy an old German Mauser...it was as long as I am tall. I lucked out and found a beautiful stainless steel bayonet for it later on. The bayonet alone was like a sword. With it attached you could really "reach out and touch someone." I was just a teenager when I got it. Wish I'd have kept it as a collection piece.

The MkIII was the basis of some really fine sporters made in England by Westley Richards and others. How I would like to have some of them, and the .303 was used to kill all sorts of unlikely game along with the .318 WR which was really no more powerful than our .30-06. Both were popular for killing lions very dead by people who knew how to shoot lions. They did so with sights made of iron, not glass. The MkIII is not a good action for mounting a scope and lost favor because of that, but for people that could shoot well with apeture sights they are second to none.

When I was young and Enfields were dirt cheap, they were popular as "truck guns" in west Texas along with many others of the surplus rifles. My father had a MkIII behind the seat that we fired a few times, otherwise it rode around and got dusty. He ended up giving it to my brother-in-law some years later. I imagine he still has it in a closet somewhere.

Gary And Alla

I wish I had picked up a few M-1s back then...very cheap.

Although not very cheap... it is possible to pick up an M-1 at a reasonable price. $500.

US Citizens are eligible to participate in the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and obtain "cheap" surplus rifles. Very nice M-1s can still be had at a reasonable price and they'll ship 'em right to your front door. Check out their website for details - http://www.odcmp.com

I will say that I think an AK can be of excellent quality,

I've heard nothing but good things about the Yugos. (SKS too.) Several others as well but like you said, even the best of the best AK isn't even close to a cheap AR in the precision department. It's not supposed to be, but the difference in quality and workmanship is striking.

If you want to see a precision "AK" check out a Galil.

Enfields were dirt cheap, they were popular as "truck guns" in west Texas

Down in Kentucky, the AK-47 is the truck gun of choice for the rednecks I know. The poorer ones have SKSs but the ones with the nicer trucks have nicer AKs inside. Yugo folder with 20rd mags fits nicely under the seat. You can keep the 700 in the window.

Русский форум член.

I understand that a green card holder can travel to Mexico and Canada without a visa. I want to plan a vacation with my wife to the Caribbean or Latin America, and wondered if anybody knows what countries she can travel to without a visa. We have already traveled to Dominican Republic, which I know that she can do even without a green card, so we are looking for another place. Thanks.

We took a caribbean cruise last year, and had no trouble getting into any island regardless of the affiliation of the island. Vika has a 2 year GC and a Ukrainian passport. Dutch, French, US, and independent all worked out. I was told that the islands usually waive, or have really liberal requirements for all visitors. It is pretty easy to check online any that you want to visit.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.