Udella&Wiz

Holier then thou attitude

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All depends on where you live too. I'm in NJ and it's a very fast paced life, people aren't super friendly, but they're very much to the point and they don't beat around the bush at all. When I first moved here I thought they were extremely rude, but I have grown accustomed to it, and I sort of understand that it's the way it is now. I mean you get a really rude person sometimes, but they're everywhere and I think it's easy to blame it on their country or background rather than dig deeper. I think stereotypes are an easy way to generalize and sadly, humans will continue to do it.

In Toronto this past weekend, my cab driver yelled and sucked his teeth at me because I didn't know what address it was I was going, but I knew the general area... and I asked him to stop at a Timmies and he refused!

If someone did something like that here, I think I probably would say something like: "Gah! Only in Jersey, stupid jerk!" because it's an easy scape goat. Not: "Wow maybe that dude has been brought up in an abrasive home" or "Wow maybe he's got some problems at home" or "Maybe he's just really unhappy and needs a hug" :P

When I get mad at the way things are, I don't complain about what I'm mad at, I blame it on the area, or the people... because it's easy.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the majority of people, from everywhere, are just IGNORANT. Yes, some of my own family and friends fall into this category too. Reminds me of the infamous quote; "I don't know why it's called 'common sense' if it's so rare"

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I do get annoyed at my Dad every now and then who now lumps me in with all of those Americans who generally hold the extreme conservative/Republican values/points of view and complains about how regressive some of those ideas are. I object to him sending me emails linked to Tea-partiers and such and telling me that's whats wrong with the US, as if I am now responsible for them. I keep telling him that they do not speak for all Americans and that there are some of us who believe in values more akin with those held by Liberal Canadians. We're not many, but hey, we do exist :lol: ! He says he knows it but he has to complain to someone and I'm the closest person! It bothers me, especially as he knows I don't share those perspectives and I don't want to read them, let alone receive emails about them. Heck, I was a card carrying member of the Liberal Party of Canada and worked for a Liberal MP and my beliefs/values have not changed just because I have moved to the US. I keep sending him information about the other side of the coin, but I suspect this is going to be an ongoing situation for the rest of our lives together.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

In Toronto this past weekend, my cab driver yelled and sucked his teeth at me because I didn't know what address it was I was going, but I knew the general area... and I asked him to stop at a Timmies and he refused!

If someone did something like that here, I think I probably would say something like: "Gah! Only in Jersey, stupid jerk!" because it's an easy scape goat. Not: "Wow maybe that dude has been brought up in an abrasive home" or "Wow maybe he's got some problems at home" or "Maybe he's just really unhappy and needs a hug" :P

I've driven in Toronto---the stress of having to drive there would be enough to make me kind of grumpy and impatient! Then again, there is a good reason I do NOT drive a cab in a large urban area....

But you're absolutely right--general attitudes vary a lot more from place to place WITHIN the US and Canada. And of course, even then, individual people are still quite different. You really can't compare the US and Canada without breaking it down by region. Places are just too different.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

I agree. I guess it's because when you encounter an "outsider" you think to yourself 'oooh I've never met an X before, wonder how they are' and you interpret their behaviour as being representative of the nationality.

My husband came to England for the first time in 2007 and when we were on the bus ride to my apartment, we drove through a town where a couple of teenagers were being arrested outside a pub for fighting (it was after 11pm). Then when we spoke to his parents on the phone, they asked how he liked it, and he said "my first impression of England was seeing a bunch of people being violent in the street" and I was like... WHAT? Not only did you just exaggerate, but if a fight broke out in Boston, you wouldn't flinch! :lol: It's probably also because he comes from a small rural town, so he hadn't seen that before anywhere, but I was still annoyed that he attributed it to an English thing.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Dont want to start a war here but this is just my opinion and observation..I was born and raised in Canada and lived there for 40 years been in the US for 8 years now..Americans tend to be viewed by Canadians as bullies of a sort..If the Americans don't agree with the way a country is being run they just move in and change it to the way they want to see it..Canadians are more laid back and don't worry so much about what goes on outside of their own back yard.. When I lived in Canada a standard work week was 35 hours and health care was free..no worries in Canada..you get a year for maternity leave and are paid while you are off...I move here and I now work 40 hours a week..I can barely afford family health care coverage..$650 a month..most companies don't offer maternity leave so you have a baby and are back to work in a matter of weeks..I think what it boils down to is levels of stress..and I would have to say that Americans are a lot more stressed than Canadians..

AGain just my humble opinion

:thumbs: America is just filled with problems one after another.....

Untitled.jpg

Timeline

I live on a border down so Canadians here are pretty blasé about Americans, though my dad definitely has the holier than thou attitude. For the record, I find people in Michigan way, way friendlier than in Canada, especially when it comes to customer service. In Michigan, clerks and whatnot chat and make jokes. But more often than not here, the clerks I get act like I ruined their day by trying to buy something. It just seems like people in America are happier than Canadians, but I can only speak for SW Ontario and Michigan.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

I notice it, and sometimes, I even find myself guilty of doing it, when I am having a bad day or feeling homesick. It's funny, because I grew up in Canada the child of English immigrant parents, and it used to really upset me that my Mum held very superior, holier-than-though attitudes towards Canada and Canadians. She has mellowed out a LOT now, but I remember feeling very upset about it as a kid, and I think it made me cling even more to my "Canadian" identity, even though she was always reminding me that I was an English girl. I always thought of that as a very British attitude, Now I know that she was probably feeling the way I feel these days - not wanting to lose her own identity on a country that felt foreign and unfamiliar, and definitely not wanting her children to become "one of them!"

I don't know why Canadians as a whole do this and it does bother me. I think it is kind of like a national bad habit:) we've just fallen into it and it makes us feel like we are in the "right" place doing the "right" things. I miss many things about Canada, and I do really need to work on becoming more appreciative and cognizant of the many wonderful aspects of living down here...

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

well canada does have

timhortons.jpg

so it gets my vote

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I've only had one person pull the "Americans are... " card but I explained how narrow minded that idea is without causing offense. She hasn't said anything like that since. I think the loudmouth rude Americans who travel abroad give a bad impression to others and that's really unfair because the vast majority are lovely people.

What started this rant was a friend on Facebook who went to Buffalo shopping on the weekend and she came back saying how rude all the Americans were....

Are you kidding me?!! I always shopped in Buffalo because.... for one.... their customer service was outstanding!!! I bet you anything your FB friend went in there with attitude and got what she deserved.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

All my life I've gotten this. From all my experiences, yes it is on both sides, but Americans tend to just joke, the same way they joke about New Jersey. Canadians though don't joke and are much more serious, or at least the friends and family I know.

Every time my entire family is together, my two older brothers (middle one especially) try and bash the US every chance they get, and it leads to a big heated debate, usually with my dad taking on my side to defend the US.

When I visit friends, they will get right into it too about how stupid Americans are, how crappy this and that is blah blah blah. Again, I get pitted against a group of them and honestly I freaking hate it.

My parents are much older (80's) and don't have the same hatred, bitterness towards the US as those that are younger, so seems like those 50 and under seem to be a lot more anti-US, and much more serious about it.

Teasing is one thing, but all the Canadians I know, aren't teasing, they're dead serious with their anti-American feelings. Of course a lot of that stems from the bad ####### you hear about in the news about select people. But I always tell them, there's ####### like that in Canadian news too, and they will say, yeah but not as much. I then have to remind them the population of Canada is smaller then that of the state of California, now do you think they might comprehend why we might have a bit more of that? How many times bigger is the US then Canada in population? Nope, they still go on saying "in the news", "this US dumbass" blah blah blah. Freaking annoying as hell.

At least in the US when people joke about Canada, I can have fun with it, and when it seems someone is actually saying something that they don't know about in Canada and I step in to defend it, then they tend to go "oh I didn't know that" and no longer bring it up, because it's that they just don't know. For instance one coworker found out I had to attend 13th Grade, he thought was it because Canadian education wasn't up to par and they had to add an extra year to match with the US. He was serious, because he wasn't aware of why that would be. If this had been the opposite and the US had 13th grade, Canadians would jump on board and flat out say it's because the Americans are stupid and everyone was held back too much that they made it mandatory because every American is dumb...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I remember a couple of weeks ago when that priest wanted to burn the Quran in Florida, one of my friends - who always has a cynical outlook on life posted the story and then said: "This is proof that all Americans are idiots and racist and if you disagree you're an idiot too" I kid you not, my mouth dropped. To lump all Americans in with this idiots mentality did really upset me, and I actually wrote back and then he deleted the entire story altogether - never once replying, apologizing or anything.

It's funny people will say such ignorant things about an entire nation of people, and to not understand or realize that they're guilty of the exact same thing they're accusing others of being.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I live on a border down so Canadians here are pretty blasé about Americans, though my dad definitely has the holier than thou attitude. For the record, I find people in Michigan way, way friendlier than in Canada, especially when it comes to customer service. In Michigan, clerks and whatnot chat and make jokes. But more often than not here, the clerks I get act like I ruined their day by trying to buy something. It just seems like people in America are happier than Canadians, but I can only speak for SW Ontario and Michigan.

I'm from Michigan, and I have to say that this is the one thing I miss about being away from there. Even though Michigan has a depressed economy, you find them very pleasant and customer service oriented. I think part of the reason there is such high unemployment is because people just don't want to move away from there. I guess they are just happy people!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

Even within a country though people do this. I'm in NJ and people always have something snarky to say about this state. People seem to look at me like I'm serving a life sentence instead of choosing to live here. At Canada day in DC two years ago this guy asked where my husband and I were from and we said: "New Jersey" and he said: "I'm sorry to hear that".

Out in western Canada there are people who loathe Ontario and call it Onterrible. They think Ontario is over developed and is full of snobs and people who are all about themselves.

But we sort of become defensive of the places we choose to live. I get a little upset when someone says Jersey stinks, or Canada eats whale blubber, or American's are all morons. Now I just find myself trying to correct a lot more people because I have lived in more places... :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

All you can go by is your own experiences. So, if you're only exposure to the U.S. is what you've seen on t.v., then of course you're going to have a jaded and frankly, ignorant viewpoint. I find this thread quite funny, considering how much sublte anti-american comments come from people on this board. :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.