lquin

I-864 employment

5 posts in this topic

Okay we are filling out the I-864, my wife is the USC but she is working in the UK.

We have marked her as emplyed and listed her emplyment, and have written a cover sheet explaining that this is foreign income. and under the "individual annual income" we have put $0 as this work will not continue when we return to the US.

Think this is the correct way to fill out the form for our case ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

To me the big question is whether your wife paid U.S. income tax on her UK income. If she did, you should declare it. I don't see anywhere on the form or the instructions where it says it must be U.S. generated income. Also, is your wife going to work when you all come to the States? If she already has another job lined up, a letter from her new employer will help stating that she will be starting such and such job on such and such date for x amount of salary.

I think putting 0 dollars on the income line will red-flag your AOS.

I'd like to see what others on this forum have to say about your predicament.

Sorry I can't tell you anything more definitive.

Joel

Yes we pay US tax on the income, however the I-864 instructions say to list the income you are using to meet the requirements of the affidavit of Support, and because the employment wont continue when we return to the US so it cant be counted.

As for the red flag issue, we are not going to meet the requirement of the sponsor either way as UK income cant be used (unless it will continue when returning to the US) so we have a joint sponsor

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yes we pay US tax on the income, however the I-864 instructions say to list the income you are using to meet the requirements of the affidavit of Support, and because the employment wont continue when we return to the US so it cant be counted.

As for the red flag issue, we are not going to meet the requirement of the sponsor either way as UK income cant be used (unless it will continue when returning to the US) so we have a joint sponsor

:thumbs: Sounds as though you have covered yourself, I wouldn't fret over it.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.