Anyta Holland

MBE at UK airports?

14 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with their brown envelopes when leaving the UK? With the new security measures, are they allowing the envelopes to come with us on the plane? We can't send it on Hold baggage as baggage claim is done after customs, at least that's what I understand...

This measures are such a pain in the a$$ and I don't think they are making much of a diference to be honest...

Anyway, can anyone help?

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

I came to JFK airport from Manchester on the 11th Aug. The people at Manchester wanted to open the brown envelope and I asked her not to, she said she needed to know what was in it and to see what was in it! I asked her to seek advice from her manager. She came back and said it was ok she didnt open it. I would say if you are carrying your xray dont let it go through the xray machine as it will be wiped!

Lyn

Lyn ....UK

Mike ...USA

Thanks Lyn.... That was exactly what I feared, that they would want to open it at the airport... I am hoping that by the time we go, things will be much easier....

US.gifVenezuela.gifUK.gif

dogdogcbu20090513_-30_My%20child%20is.png

Paul had ZERO problems in Newcastle with the MBE and he went through Amsterdam as well and didn't have any problems. it was rolled up and tucked in his backpack and they didn't give him any trouble.

He also said she didn't even look at the X-Ray at Detroit POE, it was 2 minutes and he was through. A VERY simple process for him.

Good luck!

Joey

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with their brown envelopes when leaving the UK? With the new security measures, are they allowing the envelopes to come with us on the plane? We can't send it on Hold baggage as baggage claim is done after customs, at least that's what I understand...

This measures are such a pain in the a$$ and I don't think they are making much of a diference to be honest...

Anyway, can anyone help?

I think the airlines are still allowing people to bring a purse or bag on board--to carry medication, a toothbrush, book, pair of glasses, etc. You just can't bring a suitcase.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I know all that, is the nature of the envelope that has me worried. Because is SEALED and they may become suspicious of that!

Anyta sweetie:

Try to not worry. :)

PS: the envelope often has the corner cut so you can see inside but not get anything out.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

phew!! moment of panic there!!! I sent my x-ray in checked in baggage when leaving the UK on Monday and reading the above thought it would be wipped - just ran to check it and it is OK- phewy!!

Anyway you are now allowed a laptop size bag on flights from the UK. I had my document package in that (was not letting THAT out of my sight!!) and they did not take any notice of it.

The good news is that airlines seem less strict about luggage allowance these days. I was way over weight and they did not even mention it!!

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The X ray is irrelevant, I have no idea why they even ask you to take it with you.

I believe I still have mine if you want it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You can have mine too. Only serious bidders please. It was taken through with hand luggage and certainly wasn't 'wiped' by the x-ray machine.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline
I think the airlines are still allowing people to bring a purse or bag on board--to carry medication, a toothbrush, book, pair of glasses, etc. You just can't bring a suitcase.

I flew from London to the US2 days ago (Monday) & you cannot take any liquids, makeup, pens, toothpaste, lip balm, over the counter meds, etc. You can in fact bring a carry on but it's very small now, laptop bag size. Books are fine so I'm sure papers are too.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

i flew air france and was going to DR not USA but regulations were the same.

USA entry in 5 weeks - yeay!! :-)

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.