ms514

UK Passpowert Renewal and U.S. Citizenship

5 posts in this topic

Hello All:

My wife's UK Passport is set to expire April 2011. I downloaded the renewal application, which states, "if you possess the nationality or citizenship of another country you may lose this when you obtain a British passport. Please check with the authorities of the other country before making your application."

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/central-content-pdfs/form-c1

Any thoughts, experiences would be greatly appreciated. We could renew the UK passport now (as she is still a permanent resident) and have it prior to obtaining her citizenship, but would then be faced with the same scenario when that passport would be up for renewal in a decade or so.

UK allows dual citizenship, like Canada--in fact it is "default" for Brits who naturalise to another country unless they renounce the British one. The scenario you describe is for non-British citizens naturalised to UK.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

Ahh . . . English, the final frontier!

A foreigner who takes on British citizenship may lose his original citizenship when taking on U.K. citizenship.

An Indian national, just to name on prominent example, will lose his Indian citizenship when becoming a citizen of the UK as surely as it will rain in London tomorrow. Why? Because India does not allow dual citizenship.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You should be fine, but from what I know, each step of the way, the citizen of <a country> should always report any status updates with their country - not sure if it is the case for the UK but I know many other countries do require it.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello All:

My wife's UK Passport is set to expire April 2011. I downloaded the renewal application, which states, "if you possess the nationality or citizenship of another country you may lose this when you obtain a British passport. Please check with the authorities of the other country before making your application."

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/central-content-pdfs/form-c1

Any thoughts, experiences would be greatly appreciated. We could renew the UK passport now (as she is still a permanent resident) and have it prior to obtaining her citizenship, but would then be faced with the same scenario when that passport would be up for renewal in a decade or so.

I know for example for my country (Italy) that they allow you to have the "dual citizenship" so as soon as I get the naturalization certificate I will have to send them a copy of the certificate to let them know that I'll be also American. When I need, in the future, to renew my Italian passport, I'll have to send them a copy (again) of the naturalization certificate to let them know that I'm also American.I hope it helped my comment!!!Good luck!!!!

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.