Amy-Rose

How to calculate wages for Waiter Job?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey!

Well, my fiance and I are ready to get married but unfortunately, no friends or family wish to co-sign as they are worried that they'll become liable for something. I've tried convincing them, but no such luck. My fiance just recently got hired at 2 part-time restaurant jobs as a waiter. I thought it'd be too much for him, as he's a full-time student as well, but so far so good.

My question is, how do you calculate tips when they ask you what your wages for a year are? I'm not sure what the base wages are, but they're probably only $7.25 or less an hour; obviously not enough to sponsor me.

If we were to keep a weekly journal, putting in the exact amount of tips he got per day and where, tallied it up by week/month and then year, would that help? Only problem is, couldn't they just say we made the tips larger than the actual amount given?

Please help, he's trying everything he can do, but so far everything seems helpless.

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure that in order to make a case for tips as income, you'd have to be reporting them on your US tax return.

If he has done this, then he should be good to go.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Hey!

Well, my fiance and I are ready to get married but unfortunately, no friends or family wish to co-sign as they are worried that they'll become liable for something. I've tried convincing them, but no such luck. My fiance just recently got hired at 2 part-time restaurant jobs as a waiter. I thought it'd be too much for him, as he's a full-time student as well, but so far so good.

My question is, how do you calculate tips when they ask you what your wages for a year are? I'm not sure what the base wages are, but they're probably only $7.25 or less an hour; obviously not enough to sponsor me.

If we were to keep a weekly journal, putting in the exact amount of tips he got per day and where, tallied it up by week/month and then year, would that help? Only problem is, couldn't they just say we made the tips larger than the actual amount given?

Please help, he's trying everything he can do, but so far everything seems helpless.

Thanks in advance!

most times it depends on the place you work....

some calculate if you make $3hr base pay then calculate tips to make up to minimum

other restaurants let you claim your own amount (this one gets more people in trouble with IRS, some try to report too low to save on taxes but then get audited because IRS knows approx what servers make)

other places calculate your tips to be a % of each guest check (i.e. 8% or whatever).

if you are working a place that allows you free hand on reporting your tips, best bet is to calculate minimum wage. whether that will get you into high enough income to use toward poverty level guidelines depends on how many hours are being worked.

Just make certain that what you report to IRS/tax return matches what you report to USCIS :whistle:

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There needs to be some documentation of this. Two possibilities come to mind...actually 3.

1. He deposits all his cash tips in the bank and the bank gives him a letter stating his deposits, OR he attaches 12 months bank statements showing all his cash deposits. I'm guessing the chances of this are slim.

2. He claims all his tips on his tax returns and has last years tax return to support his claimed income for this year. I'm guessing the chances of this are slim.

3. His employer gives statements of all tips earned on his check stubs and deducts tax, SS, medicare, etc. I'm guess the chances of this are slim.

You can always get a co-sponsor. Saying "I have a salary of $14,000 and make another $12,000 in tips" won't cut it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

There needs to be some documentation of this. Two possibilities come to mind...actually 3.

1. He deposits all his cash tips in the bank and the bank gives him a letter stating his deposits, OR he attaches 12 months bank statements showing all his cash deposits. I'm guessing the chances of this are slim.

2. He claims all his tips on his tax returns and has last years tax return to support his claimed income for this year. I'm guessing the chances of this are slim.

3. His employer gives statements of all tips earned on his check stubs and deducts tax, SS, medicare, etc. I'm guess the chances of this are slim.

You can always get a co-sponsor. Saying "I have a salary of $14,000 and make another $12,000 in tips" won't cut it.

if they are honest about tips and report them all, income would be more than $26k a year, though servers wouldnt make $14k 'salary'. if they are reporting ALL tips earned they shouldnt have problem with income if they are working fulltime (depends on if he's getting enough hours from both part-time jobs).

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.