missouriviaperu

k1 visa and connecting flight in third country

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

So the k1 visa has been approved and we're in the process of getting plane tickets...some of the best deals I am finding involve a catching a connecting flight in a third country (the best deal so far is a 2.5 hour stop to catch a connecting flight in Mexico city's airport, another flight with a stop in Toronto seems reasonably priced). This is okay, right? Do the travel restrictions for the visa only apply after the beneficiary enters the US but before we get married? This is also a concern because we both have elderly grandparents in Peru (including two 90+ year olds)..and it would be horrible if god forbid something happened in that time frame. I also found it strange how f***ing expensive one-way tickets are...if anyone has some tips on getting cheaper tickets please pass along the info.

After searching old forum posts it seems as if the first question was already answered but i just want to be completely sure. I'm going to follow up tomorrow by calling the nvc, the airline & embassy.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I dont know what ur final destination is but i am assuming st louis.. All international flights are usually cheaper when purchased roundtrip, or the price is very similar, from lima u can always try going thru miami or atlanta and catching another flight from there, also, try changing your final destination to a different airport, u will be surprised of how much prices change just by driving an hour or two... Apply this to all flights and u will save a few thousands over a few years...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So the k1 visa has been approved and we're in the process of getting plane tickets...some of the best deals I am finding involve a catching a connecting flight in a third country (the best deal so far is a 2.5 hour stop to catch a connecting flight in Mexico city's airport, another flight with a stop in Toronto seems reasonably priced). This is okay, right? Do the travel restrictions for the visa only apply after the beneficiary enters the US but before we get married? This is also a concern because we both have elderly grandparents in Peru (including two 90+ year olds)..and it would be horrible if god forbid something happened in that time frame. I also found it strange how f***ing expensive one-way tickets are...if anyone has some tips on getting cheaper tickets please pass along the info.

After searching old forum posts it seems as if the first question was already answered but i just want to be completely sure. I'm going to follow up tomorrow by calling the nvc, the airline & embassy.

There are no "travel restrictions" with a K1 visa. You just can't enter the US, leave, and reenter the US with one. You can have as many stopovers on the way to the US as are required. My wife and step-kids had a stopover in Taipei on their way from Vietnam to San Francisco. It was not a problem. They were processed just like everyone else who was transferring from one international flight to another.

Buy round trip tickets if they are cheaper, but be absolutely certain to cancel the return ticket after arriving in the US. There have been a few VJ members who had big problems when they tried to adjust status after marrying in the US, apparently because the airline didn't update their passenger manifests and recorded the alien fiancee leaving the US on the return flight.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Occasionally a 3rd country requires what is called a transit visa of people "stopping" there. The rules are really crazy at times. But you usually fine this requirement for people from "high fraud" countries such as most of Africa.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

You should not have any problems going through other countries as your just passing through..check with each of the countries laws before purchasing..of course. The K1 will allow entry in the US one time only. I used to always fly from Ft Lauderdale to Lima on Spirit Air, but now the only have flights on Saturday and Sunday. LAN and American have decent prices sometimes direct from Lima to Miami. Taca also is sometimes cheaper from Lima to Miami, but connects once. I know delta goes direct from Lima to Atlanta also.

Congrats and good luck!

Peruvians do need a visa to visit or transit Canada--and so do Ecuadorians, Bolivians, Chileans, Uruguayans and Paraguayans.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks for all the great advice! I resolved the issue by just using 15,000 American Airlines frequent flyer miles to purchase a one way direct flight from Lima to Miami. I've been finding one way tickets from MIA to St Louis for ~$150.

As for Spirit airlines...I just absolutely hate them. I had the worst travelling experience EVER at Ft Lauderdale Intl w/ Spirit Airlines back in December 2007. It was probably just my luck but the airport lost power and I stood waiting in line for almost 6 hours...only to be almost returned to the back of the line by a cop on a power-trip....they then proceeded to lose my check-in bags upon my arrival in Lima. I had to go pick them up myself from Lima's airport three days later (American airlines will at least deliver them to you, a major inconvenience because it takes at least 3 hours to go to the airport and back). I guess I'd do it again if I had no choice but, ugh, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

It's nice to know there are no "travel restrictions" with the K1 visa... but honestly we're really just debating semantics. If we can't even visit another country on our honeymoon or we travel to Peru to visit family without jumping through a million hoops & establishing her residency..then I personally consider that a travel restriction. I just don't see the point of it but I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that our elderly family members in Peru stay healthy over the course of the next year.

Thanks for all the great advice! I resolved the issue by just using 15,000 American Airlines frequent flyer miles to purchase a one way direct flight from Lima to Miami. I've been finding one way tickets from MIA to St Louis for ~$150.

As for Spirit airlines...I just absolutely hate them. I had the worst travelling experience EVER at Ft Lauderdale Intl w/ Spirit Airlines back in December 2007. It was probably just my luck but the airport lost power and I stood waiting in line for almost 6 hours...only to be almost returned to the back of the line by a cop on a power-trip....they then proceeded to lose my check-in bags upon my arrival in Lima. I had to go pick them up myself from Lima's airport three days later (American airlines will at least deliver them to you, a major inconvenience because it takes at least 3 hours to go to the airport and back). I guess I'd do it again if I had no choice but, ugh, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

It's nice to know there are no "travel restrictions" with the K1 visa... but honestly we're really just debating semantics. If we can't even visit another country on our honeymoon or we travel to Peru to visit family without jumping through a million hoops & establishing her residency..then I personally consider that a travel restriction. I just don't see the point of it but I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that our elderly family members in Peru stay healthy over the course of the next year.

The problem with their definition of "no travel restrictions" is that it only means "we don't restrict where you want to travel PROR TO entering the US with a K-1--but we really aren't bothered about other countries' visa laws". (ok, the latter half is legit, since the only laws USCIS can enforce are those of the US).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.