sowfamily

name change

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

hi all

I want to express my gratitude for all the posts I read here and to say thank you again for the responses to my past questions

And now I have still another loop hole to close before I send off the I-130 ......... if you could indulge me a little .......

Have any of the ladies out there gone through the name change process yet ?

I (the american citizen), have decided to change my name to my husband's last name. I was successful with my social security card but was denied by the department of motor vehicles because my marriage certificate is from another country. I was told that I would need to show a picture ID with my new name such as a passport. I am now attempting to change my passport by sending in the original marriage certificate with my application ....... I've been told by some passport offices that I would be required to have my driver's license changed first ......... ooooffffffff ....... now I don't know where to start. My place of employment will not honor my foreign marriage certificate either unless I show proof of its validity such as a name change. Without the name change I can not add my husband to my insurance policy, etc... etc... I wanted to complete the name change prior to filing the I-130 so that it would be a less confusing application to piece together by immigration, since I now have two different last names. It is really holding everything up.

Is there some official clear and easy way to go through this process?

Thanks for any response

Keep the faith

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

hi all

I want to express my gratitude for all the posts I read here and to say thank you again for the responses to my past questions

And now I have still another loop hole to close before I send off the I-130 ......... if you could indulge me a little .......

I (the american citizen), have decided to change my name to my husband's last name. I was successful with my social security card but was denied by the department of motor vehicles because my marriage certificate is from another country. I was told that I would need to show a picture ID with my new name such as a passport. I am now attempting to change my passport by sending in the original marriage certificate with my application ....... I've been told by some passport offices that I would be required to have my driver's license changed first ......... ooooffffffff ....... now I don't know where to start. My place of employment will not honor my foreign marriage certificate either unless I show proof of its validity such as a name change. Without the name change I can not add my husband to my insurance policy, etc... etc... I wanted to complete the name change prior to filing the I-130 so that it would be a less confusing application to piece together by immigration, since I now have two different last names. It is really holding everything up.

Thanks for any response

Keep the faith

Department of State regulations do not allow applicants to request passport amendments to change any of the following

Name - includes changes from marriage or other legal name change

Sex

Date of Birth

Place of Birth

Passport Validity

If any of this information has changed or is incorrect, you must apply for a new passport.

Loto

Edited by LotOfPatience

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

hi all

Thanks for any response

Keep the faith

so much of what you've written seems opposite of my XP. here is my XP:

passport - need SSN for that so your name would need to be chnaged with SSA first. once name is chnaged with SSA (which you said you've already done) you should be able to get new DL with no problem (why are you trying to get DL with marriage license? just show them your SS card), then show DL as ID to post office or whatever location you go to apply for your new passport.

as for your insurance - someone is lying to you! you do NOT have to have same name as your husband for him to be on policy!

i dont understand why you are having such a difficult time having anyone recognize your marriage certificate ... is there soemthing you havent mentioned? if it is legal in the country of marriage it is legal here.

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Here is the link, if you want to change the name:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

My above post was from the Consulate web site in India.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

I have gone through most of my name change stuff. New SS card was easy. I sent in all my paperwork for a NEW passport. I had to send my old passport in with the request. I have yet to go to the DMV but from what they said I just had to bring in my marriage certificate (from the dominican republic) and the appropriate DMV form. That's my last hurdle. My work accepted the foreign marriage certificate...maybe they were easy on me because our human resources person married a guy from england and went through all the immigration stuff herself! Good luck. p.s. isn't it GREAT having a new last name?? I love it. It makes me so proud and I giggle everytime I hear my name as a "mrs." ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.