Shari

Perm Res & US Citizen to UK - max stay?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Questions . . . my husband, a US permanent resident from the UK since 2005 found out his mother (age 79) in England has cancer. If we go over to stay with her until the end I need to find out some things and would appreciate anyone's help.

1. How long can I (US born citizen) stay in England? One place I read 6 months, another I read indefinitely. I don't want to go over for 6 months and then have to come back.

2. How long can my husband (US permanent resident) stay out of the US? I think it is 3 years but now sure.

3. If we were to go over, could my husband find a job over there and work for the duration we are there (if under the allowed time for him to stay)?

4. If we were to go over, could I find a job over there and work?

5. If we were to go over there, would he have to change our address with USCIS to England like you do when you move anywhere in the US? We've moved three times in the past 5 years and have to send them our new address.

6. I heard if we do go over, we should buy an airplane ticket with a return for many 2 weeks even if we plan to stay longer as to not alert immigration over there with questions. Anyone know anything about this.

7. Is there anything else anyone can think of that we need to be aware of if we go over there on a temporary basis?

Thank you so very much!

Shari

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Questions . . . my husband, a US permanent resident from the UK since 2005 found out his mother (age 79) in England has cancer. If we go over to stay with her until the end I need to find out some things and would appreciate anyone's help.

1. How long can I (US born citizen) stay in England? One place I read 6 months, another I read indefinitely. I don't want to go over for 6 months and then have to come back.

2. How long can my husband (US permanent resident) stay out of the US? I think it is 3 years but now sure.

3. If we were to go over, could my husband find a job over there and work for the duration we are there (if under the allowed time for him to stay)?

4. If we were to go over, could I find a job over there and work?

5. If we were to go over there, would he have to change our address with USCIS to England like you do when you move anywhere in the US? We've moved three times in the past 5 years and have to send them our new address.

6. I heard if we do go over, we should buy an airplane ticket with a return for many 2 weeks even if we plan to stay longer as to not alert immigration over there with questions. Anyone know anything about this.

7. Is there anything else anyone can think of that we need to be aware of if we go over there on a temporary basis?

Thank you so very much!

Shari

1. That depends on what visa ( or status) you plan to visit on and the terms of that visa.

2. Up to 2 years, but a stay longer than 1 year requires a reentry permit.

3. He is a citizen, so yes. Not sure if US income tax requirements applies to permanent residents working abroad.

4. You would probably need a work visa and whatever that entails

5. You probably want to keep a permanent address in the US. Not doing so could cause him to loose PR status. As he may be perceived to be moving abroad.

6. Most countries require a return ticket for visitors or otherwise they may deny entry. This is not usually an issue with a longer term visa.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

1. That depends on what visa ( or status) you plan to visit on and the terms of that visa.

Thanks for the reply. I thought you don't need a Visa to England? I didn't need one when I visited in 2005, just my passport. What did you mean what status you plan to visit on? What statuses are there?

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

If you want to live there permanently, of course you'll need more than your passport. That's just for people that want to stay up to 6 months.

. I don't want to go over for 6 months and then have to come back.

How long are you planning on going for? If you're planning on settling there for over 6 months, you'll need to look into getting a visa. You cannot work until you have this. Your husband is a UK citizen, correct? If so, he'll be able to work as normal.

Unfortunately I know nothing about UK visas as I only did immigration to the US. But I *think* there's something for couples that have been married for less than 4 years, and another if you've been married for more than that. Someone else can clarify.

Edited by Gemmie

The UK doesn't require people from the US to get visas to visit for short periods of time, but you can't just go to the UK and stay there for an extended period just because you are a US citizen. You would have to have a visa if you were planning on staying longer than 6 months.

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Timeline

If you want to live there permanently, of course you'll need more than your passport. That's just for people that want to stay up to 6 months.

How long are you planning on going for? If you're planning on settling there for over 6 months, you'll need to look into getting a visa. You cannot work until you have this. Your husband is a UK citizen, correct? If so, he'll be able to work as normal.

Unfortunately I know nothing about UK visas as I only did immigration to the US. But I *think* there's something for couples that have been married for less than 4 years, and another if you've been married for more than that. Someone else can clarify.

Thank you. I don't know how long we would stay - it all depends on my mother-in-law's health status. It could be extended beyond six months but we won't know. And yes, he is a UK citizen.

The UK doesn't require people from the US to get visas to visit for short periods of time, but you can't just go to the UK and stay there for an extended period just because you are a US citizen. You would have to have a visa if you were planning on staying longer than 6 months.

Thank you. Do you know a web site or where to get info on how to get a visa if it will be over 6 months?

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

Thank you. Do you know a web site or where to get info on how to get a visa if it will be over 6 months?

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

This is the UK site that is equivalent to the Department of State or USCIS for people who are coming to the US. It has guides and information for any type of visas for the UK. You might look into a spousal visa, depending on how long you would need it.

Edited by marlea

K-1

AOS

Filed: Other Timeline

Of all the 195 countries on this planet, the UK and Canada make it so goddam easy for their citizens to get another citizenship. Many Green Card holders would chew off their fingers if they could have it that easy. Since your husband is a Green Card holder for 5 years now, he could be a US citizen for 2 of these years already. As such, you wouldn't have to worry about him losing his resident status.

You know what they say: once the house is on fire, it's a bit late to buy a fire extinguisher.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

This is the UK site that is equivalent to the Department of State or USCIS for people who are coming to the US. It has guides and information for any type of visas for the UK. You might look into a spousal visa, depending on how long you would need it.

Thank you.

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

Timeline

Thanks.

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

Go to uk-yankee.com

This is sort of the VJ equivalent for going in the other direction, lots of good info there.

So sorry to hear about his mom :(

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

You were married in the US, so if you go for the full immigration visa you should be able to work immediately if you need to.

Oh, and getting the visa from after all the preparation and making an appointment at the UK Consulate - is done in a day and you walk out with it in your passport if you are approved (and I see no reason why you wouldn't be).

As for the Big "C" ... :(

Been there, done that and my heart goes out to the two of you. It's never easy, but it looks as if his Mum will have family around her, which matters a lot. Good luck for your journey.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

You were married in the US, so if you go for the full immigration visa you should be able to work immediately if you need to.

Oh, and getting the visa from after all the preparation and making an appointment at the UK Consulate - is done in a day and you walk out with it in your passport if you are approved (and I see no reason why you wouldn't be).

As for the Big "C" ... :(

Been there, done that and my heart goes out to the two of you. It's never easy, but it looks as if his Mum will have family around her, which matters a lot. Good luck for your journey.

What do you mean by full immigration visa? We don't want to move there permanently as my husband is only a Permanent Resident in the US, not a US citizen, and he can't be out of he country for more than I THINK 2 years without losing his status here. I haven't gone to those sites others have listed above yet so maybe that will tell me something. Thanks so much.

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

You really should look into the rules for permanent residents too, as I think he has to maintain a residence here and has to spend time here every year to keep his status. I don't think he can be gone for 2 years and still keep his greencard, but I could be wrong.

K-1

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.