warlord

Eating Differences

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I was just talking to a coworker about how sick I was for having to eat the same sandwich all week because I wanted to use the stuff I used up. Basically a Salami sandwich with ketchup. She looked at me like I was freaking from another dimension and was like what the hell? Ketchup on a Sandwich? Apparently according to her ketchup is only for hotdogs, burgers and fries and never ever on meat. We asked 2 other coworkers and the one guy didn't think it was too weird, but said he would have mustard and all 3 agreed mustard or maybe mayo.

Now I recall growing up I thought everyone put ketchup on meat sandwhiches (well maybe not turkey or chicken). I then thought hey, maybe it's a Canadian thing. We joked around and my other coworker asked if I put mayo on hamburgers. I saw when it's avaliable I do. He laughed and said there was this movie with Bruce Willis and he was in Canada and made a comment why the hell Canadians have to have mayo on burgers.

Wow almost 14 years living here and I never even noticed or thought about that before. We all know the British tradition of gravy on the fries thing is well known, or the crazy disgusting one of ketchup on Mac and Cheese. But never knew about ketchup on salami sandwiches or mayo on burgers was not normal here...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have never heard of putting ketchup on salami sandwiches or any kind of deli meat sandwiches for that matter ... weird combo in my opinion .. lol

and also ketchup on Kraft dinner is good :P

oh and my husband the USC puts mayo on hotdogs and hamburgers..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally have enjoyed many Schneider's bologna sandwiches with both ketchup and mustard - I don't know if I know anyone else who does it back in Canada though.

I have ceased eating bologna sandwiches here in America because there is no good bologna that tastes like Schneiders.....I try and eat as much as I can when I visit back home though!

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I thought mayo on hamburgers was common...normal to me is whatever a person is use to...just a thought :)

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

I personally have enjoyed many Schneider's bologna sandwiches with both ketchup and mustard - I don't know if I know anyone else who does it back in Canada though.

I have ceased eating bologna sandwiches here in America because there is no good bologna that tastes like Schneiders.....I try and eat as much as I can when I visit back home though!

Cheers

have you tried Oscar Meyer's bologna? I buy the Turkey bologna...

I would probably put ketchup on a fried bologna sandwich...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One word:

POUTINE!!!

They all think I'm insane when I make it, like #######.

[whoops just realized Ray is logged in, this is actually FireKari]

Edited by FireRay

USCIS

12-26-2009 : Marriage

1-07-2010 : Filed I-130

1-08-2010 : Package Recieved

1-12-2010 : NOA1

3-12-2010 : NOA2

Your I-130 was approved in 59 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned

3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator

3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill

3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed

3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online

4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864

4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill

4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230

4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC

4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!

5-27-2010 : Interview date assigned

7-21-2010 : Medical

7-26-2010 : Interview - APPROVED

8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge

i'm not a fan of ketchup and prefer mayo on hamburgers. i would, however, go with mustard on a salami sandwich. and yes ketchup on a fried bologna sandwich (that is the only acceptable way to eat bologna and hot dogs!)i would say, its normal to whatever you like on a hamburger - the salami sandwich thing tho, you might be on to something. oh and i'm amuurrican.

Ketchup is good on anything that you don't like the taste of. Drowns things out quite nicely. I think there is nothing abnormal about eating salami and ketchup sandwiches. If you think about it pizza sauce is made with tomato and you put salami on pizza. So if you take your ketchup and salami sandwich, add cheese and maybe heat it a bit you have something that tastes similar to pizza? Mayo is great on burgers! Also coleslaw on burgers, especially if they are bbq'd (that is grilled to our American friends) Poutine those fries as FireRay says! KFC here does the best poutine. So back to ketchup....A few weeks ago I was eating some ketchup chips (Lays) my fiance asked what I was eating and I told him. He had never heard of ketchup chips. He has gone to the stores in and around where he lives in VA and no one has heard of them. I guess that is a good reason for a trip back to Canada when the time comes for a bag of chips.

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Timeline

I used to eat bologna and ketchup sandwiches all the time when I was younger. Never heard of mayo on hamburgers though; didn't realize it was a "Canadian" thing. :blush:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Ketchup is good on anything that you don't like the taste of. Drowns things out quite nicely. I think there is nothing abnormal about eating salami and ketchup sandwiches. If you think about it pizza sauce is made with tomato and you put salami on pizza. So if you take your ketchup and salami sandwich, add cheese and maybe heat it a bit you have something that tastes similar to pizza? Mayo is great on burgers! Also coleslaw on burgers, especially if they are bbq'd (that is grilled to our American friends) Poutine those fries as FireRay says! KFC here does the best poutine. So back to ketchup....A few weeks ago I was eating some ketchup chips (Lays) my fiance asked what I was eating and I told him. He had never heard of ketchup chips. He has gone to the stores in and around where he lives in VA and no one has heard of them. I guess that is a good reason for a trip back to Canada when the time comes for a bag of chips.

i'm in virginia, and yeah - never heard of them :huh:

Filed: Timeline

Ok I was just talking to a coworker about how sick I was for having to eat the same sandwich all week because I wanted to use the stuff I used up. Basically a Salami sandwich with ketchup.

:o

She looked at me like I was freaking from another dimension and was like what the hell? Ketchup on a Sandwich?

:lol:

I have never heard of a salami and ketchup sandwich. But, then again, I had never heard of anyone putting ketchup on their turkey dinner, either. I don't know if that's unique to that Canadian family or if it's a "down homers" (aka east coast resident) kind of thing.

In fact, until I lived in Canada, I never knew anyone to put ketchup on anything. But.... now that I think about it.... I do recall being aghast at someone who liked to eat ketchup sandwiches. It was probably just as shocking/disgusting to me as that former coworker who would bring two pieces of white bread to work, take some relish packages from the cafeteria, and make a sandwich out of that. :huh:

But, yeah. I think it may be a Canadian thing.

iagree.gif

Timeline

A girl i went to school with back in canada had ketchup on ice cream and on her ramen noodles all the time!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

i just did a quick searchand found these..

Super Simple Salami Sandwiches

* 1/2 cup ketchup

* 2 tbsp brown sugar

* 2 tbsp yellow mustard

* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

* 8 hamburger buns, preferably whole wheat

* 16 thin slices salami, preferably reduced fat

* 8 slices cheddar cheese

* One large onion, sliced, optional

Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in microwave safe 2 cup measure. Microwave on high for one minute, stir and microwave an additional minute. Spread sauce on both sides of each bun. Starting with bottom half of bun, layer salami, cheese and onion slices, if using. Put top half of bun in place. Wrap each sandwich in foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

http://easy.betterrecipes.com/super-simple-salami-sandwiches.html

and

Super Salami Sandwich

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.