Brian_Toma

My Wife skipped the Immigration Hall at Port of Entry

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Wife entered at JFK on Aug 31 on her CR1 visa with the sealed brown envelope. She showed the envelope to the passport control officer there who opened the envelope and stamped her passport and wrote the A-number there as well as on the white paper that was on top of the brown envelope. He then returned the contents of the envelope. The officer asked her about the cat which she had brought with her and said that she needed to go into the room to the right.. She thought that she needed to go there for the cat to be checked. When in the room, she was asked why she was there, and she said that she had a cat. They told her she didn't need to be there and she left for customs. At customs, they told her she needed to go back to that room and have her customs form signed there, which they did. Then she was allowed to leave through customs. We are worried now that she was supposed to give her papers to someone in that room which we now think must have been the Immigration Hall and that they should have processed these papers in order for her to get her Green Card to be sent. The question is, now what? How can we fix this? What can we do to get her Green Card? Is the stamp and the A-number that the officer put there the "endorsement" that is supposed to be done for the I-551 temporary green card on her visa in her passport?

USCIS:

10-07-2009 Married in Moscow

11-13-2009 I-130 sent

11-20-2009 NOA1

11-30-2009 "Touched"

12-01-2009 "Touched"

02-18-2010 "Touched" and later the same day..

02-18-2010 NOA2

NVC:

02-22-2010 Received by NVC

02-25-2010 AOS and IV Bill generated

02-26-2010 Paid AOS and IV Bill online

03-03-2010 Applied for Police Certificate

03-03-2010 AOS Bill shows PAID, but bug in NVC system with the Cover Sheet

03-04-2010 AOS Cover Sheet fixed

03-08-2010 IV Bill shows PAID

04-07-2010 Police Clearance Certificate received

04-16-2010 IV and AOS package sent to NVC

04-23-2010 Package received by NVC

07-23-2010 Interview APPROVED

08-31-2010 Entry at JFK

Try to get an infopass at your local USCIS office and explain the situation as soon as possible. The earlier they will know, the less questions they might ask...

My Wife entered at JFK on Aug 31 on her CR1 visa with the sealed brown envelope. She showed the envelope to the passport control officer there who opened the envelope and stamped her passport and wrote the A-number there as well as on the white paper that was on top of the brown envelope. He then returned the contents of the envelope. The officer asked her about the cat which she had brought with her and said that she needed to go into the room to the right.. She thought that she needed to go there for the cat to be checked. When in the room, she was asked why she was there, and she said that she had a cat. They told her she didn't need to be there and she left for customs. At customs, they told her she needed to go back to that room and have her customs form signed there, which they did. Then she was allowed to leave through customs. We are worried now that she was supposed to give her papers to someone in that room which we now think must have been the Immigration Hall and that they should have processed these papers in order for her to get her Green Card to be sent. The question is, now what? How can we fix this? What can we do to get her Green Card? Is the stamp and the A-number that the officer put there the "endorsement" that is supposed to be done for the I-551 temporary green card on her visa in her passport?

AOS Timeline

02/11/10 AOS, EAD and AP filed

02/23/10 NOA1 notice date

02/27/10 NOA1 hard copy received

02/26/10 change of address

03/03/10 ASC appt at local office on 03/18/10

03/09/10 Case transferred to CSC notified thru email

03/16/10 Received notice thru email (2nd time) & hard copy that CSC has rcvd application

03/17/10 (one day early as scheduled) Biometrics done

04/28/10 card production ordered for EAD (on document production status) and AP (post-decision act)

04/30/10 touch again for AP (post-decision activity)

05/04/10 received AP in mail

05/11/10 another touch on EAD & email received from USCIS stating card production ordered

05/22/10 EAD in mail... FINALLY!

08/12/10 AOS touch...

09/09/10 AOS touch...

09/10/10 called USCIS and got a service request for AOS application...

09/13/10 email and text notification... AOS APPROVED and card production notice at the same time!!!

09/20/10 received green card and welcome letter in mail.... at last!!!

Citizenship

11/07/13 sent N-400

11/13/13 NOA received

12/16/13 biometrics done

02/12/14 interview (approved)

??/??/?? oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you can, go back to the POE an tell them what happend, maybe they can process the papers. I have seen alot of people say infopass did nothing to help them because infopass cant take the paperwork.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You should contact first to port of entry officials........Don't talk to just anyone.......talk to higher officials.....

and on the other side....do take infopass.....nothing harm in taking an appointment

Edited by kruz_patz

Atlanta, GA (MM-DD-YYYY)
I-130 (IR-1) TIMELINE [MUMBAI CONSULATE]
07-02-2020 - I-130 SENT
06-01-2021 - APPROVED

NVC
06-06-2021 - Recevied NVC case no. - case entered into nvc's system

06-08-2021 - AOS fee
06-08-2021 - IV fee
07-05-2021 - IV & AOS documents submitted online

07-19-2021 - received message from NVC about case can not be processed unless all civil documents are submitted (was missing police clearance)

08-12-2021 - submitted police clearance certificate - which was last document submitted to NVC

11-05-2021 - Case completed at NVC - DQ

03-31-2022 - Interview letter received

04-28-2022 - Interview date at mumbai embassy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya - need to 'do stuff' with the Border Patrol folks -

suggest (in order of priority)

--same POE

--CBP 'deferred inspection' office

No appointment needed, when ya get somewhere, ask for the big boss.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions all. We were able to schedule a really quick INFOPASS appointment for this morning and the office is quite close to our house. They said basically the same thing.. they cannot take the paperwork there, but we can go to the nearest Customs and Border Patrol station, which is at Boston Logan airport, rather than at JFK where we entered. I'm still a bit worried about it.. They did take her fingerprints and photos at the Passport control station, but the woman we met at the USCIS office said she could not see the biometrics in the system. Maybe they will need to do it again and my wife just cut her thumb badly the other day.. I guess will just have to see when we go.

USCIS:

10-07-2009 Married in Moscow

11-13-2009 I-130 sent

11-20-2009 NOA1

11-30-2009 "Touched"

12-01-2009 "Touched"

02-18-2010 "Touched" and later the same day..

02-18-2010 NOA2

NVC:

02-22-2010 Received by NVC

02-25-2010 AOS and IV Bill generated

02-26-2010 Paid AOS and IV Bill online

03-03-2010 Applied for Police Certificate

03-03-2010 AOS Bill shows PAID, but bug in NVC system with the Cover Sheet

03-04-2010 AOS Cover Sheet fixed

03-08-2010 IV Bill shows PAID

04-07-2010 Police Clearance Certificate received

04-16-2010 IV and AOS package sent to NVC

04-23-2010 Package received by NVC

07-23-2010 Interview APPROVED

08-31-2010 Entry at JFK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.