Jess and Andrew

Not Visa Related: Things to do in Montreal

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Andrew and I are going to be spending Saturday and Sunday in Montreal before our Monday morning interview. We've booked a room at Le Square Phillip Hotel and I'm wondering if any of you wonderful people are familiar with the area--any places we should go while we're there? Good restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Jess

AOS/EAD/AP

Filing Location: Chicago Lockbox

Local USCIS Office: Philadelphia, PA

AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent: 2010-12-06

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 2010-12-14

RFE(s):

AOS Case Transferred to CSC: 2010-01-14

Biometrics Letter Received: UNDELIVERABLE--hopefully will be resent soon

Biometrics Appointment:

www.justputitinwriting.blogspot.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please give report on any poutine that you have, whilst there? (I'm a fan)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

Andrew and I are going to be spending Saturday and Sunday in Montreal before our Monday morning interview. We've booked a room at Le Square Phillip Hotel and I'm wondering if any of you wonderful people are familiar with the area--any places we should go while we're there? Good restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Jess

One thing I can say is that you got a good time of year for your interview! Winter there is tough if you're not used to it, and summer is hot. If I were you, I'd do lots of walking around--which should be very pleasant in Sept. The city has a unique feel to it. I'd recommend exploring a few neighbourhoods outside of downtown (the Plateau Mont Royal and/ or Mile End, for example).

I no longer live in Montreal, but I did for many years and still miss it!

Have fun!

C/

Timeline

Montreal's Old Port is nice to walk around...they have coble stone streets and some nice restaurants (very touristy though so not too budget friendly) you can also find horse drawn carriage rides to get a feel of the city too its fun and romantic and not too $$ (not cheap but not overly expensive). St hubert is a good restaurant near Place des arts (not sure if there's a festival going on but if there is you can usually do a lot of people watching from their patio. There are lots of museums and there's a huge underground "city" you can get to 5 or 6 full size malls by foot without having to go outside...and if you hop on the metro ...then there's a lot more experiencing you can do. I would look into getting a metro tourist 3day pass (if still exists) a lot cheaper than constantly gettign a taxi and/or paying for parking if you bring your car. and it is pretty easy to use and the trains run fairly often. You can PM me if you want more suggestions i lived in Montreal for 21 years and moved away 2 yrs ago to be closer to FI....I LOVE MTL! And I miss it too!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed on the underground city thing, it's pretty neat. I've been to Montreal twice and I love Old Montreal. You could also check out Le Biodome: http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/biodome/site/site.php?langue=en

Rue Ste. Catherine has lots of shops and makes for a good walk.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

We stayed at the same place. Go exploring. Mont Royal...Head to Shwartz' for a sandwich...head over to the Expo area...you'll find plenty to do by riding the metro and walking around.

JlovesA is right, we went to the biodome this december. even though my crazy canadian fiance thought it wasn't "that" cold (um, what?) we walked a considerable distance to get there in what felt like a blizzard, once we got inside it was very interesting, if you like bugs (and i do, as long as they are BEHIND the glass) :D

Timeline

JlovesA is right, we went to the biodome this december. even though my crazy canadian fiance thought it wasn't "that" cold (um, what?) we walked a considerable distance to get there in what felt like a blizzard, once we got inside it was very interesting, if you like bugs (and i do, as long as they are BEHIND the glass) :D

Olive and Gourmando for in the old port, St.Pierre st, for people watching and brunch/lunch. And these totally insane uber rich brownies.

I live here, and that is the straight goods. :thumbs:

Oh and for an AMAZING dinner experience go to Kitchenette, it is on Rene-Lesvesque St, in the Gay Villiage section of the city. You will die...AMAZING CUISINE.

If you're down by the convention centre that's a few blocks from the US consulate and want a DELICIOUS bowl of pasta CUSTOM MADE to your specifications, you should check out La Popessa. My fiance and I ate there twice while we were in Montreal - just because it was that good. :D

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Timeline

If you're a pizza fan, Amelio's on Rue Milton was always a favourite for my family. We'd drive in from the West Island to get it!

Unfortunately, I moved away from Montreal 15 years ago, so I don't really know what's out there now. I always enjoyed walking around the Old Port and exploring the side-streets. Ste Catherine was fun for shopping and people-watching. Other than that, I don't have much to offer. Sorry!

God, I wish I didn't have to make my Montreal trip as short as possible for this interview which will hopefully be scheduled sometime in the next 6 months!! *sigh*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.