The Heub's

Spousal Visa ..people in the same situation?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else was using a immigration lawyer for their spousals visa's? Im will be in the uk and my husband will be in the USA. We really want someone who will let up know asap where we stand, and what information we will need to provide, without time wasting! Any comments would be helpful. Thanks as always!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lawyers are a waste of time and money .. they take the forms fill them out for you and mail it, all of which you can do yourself.

VJ is a do - it - yourself website with help from members, guides and forms available for download here.

The only time you would need a lawyer is if you have a hard case that has a lot of red flags in it like criminal history or from a high fraud country etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'll suggest a coupla things, maybe (maybe...) help you to decide whether you need an attorney or not.

a. read the VJ guides. map the steps out on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

b. Read the USCIS web portal about the forms. Map out the steps on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

c. Practice filling out the forms, at least 5 times. See if anything still doesn't make sense to you.

d. Have any red flags? Practice writing up attestation letters about each red flag.

Now, after doing (with major emphasis on DOING ) all of the above, if you do NOT understand the forms and the process and potential red flags for your petition,

then I'd suggest getting a good IMMIGRATION lawyer. You are concerned with time, I am concerned with your 'knowledge acquisition', as knowledge is power. You can have 'it' good, fast or cheap - pick 2.

Welcome to VJ, btw - this is a GREAT DIY Immigration Web Portal, with emphasis on 'Y', and 'D'.

*** not a K-3 visa topic - moving to IR-1/CR-1 forum ***

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Lawyers are a waste of time and money .. they take the forms fill them out for you and mail it, all of which you can do yourself.

VJ is a do - it - yourself website with help from members, guides and forms available for download here.

The only time you would need a lawyer is if you have a hard case that has a lot of red flags in it like criminal history or from a high fraud country etc.

Ok im just panicking as i dont want things to take any longer then necessary...any questions i have, i will ask on here, and hope that someone knows the answer..from what ive read people are extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Timeline

Ok im just panicking as i dont want things to take any longer then necessary...any questions i have, i will ask on here, and hope that someone knows the answer..from what ive read people are extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Take a deep breath! relax some.

People on VJ have all gone through the visa process or are going through it. Many people can help with questions. Check out the guide for CR-1 visa, have a read of it. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

The guides are really good on here and really helpful.

Sometimes and most people on here will say never get a lawyer because a lot of them have had their process messed up/ over charged/ lost/ never checked on/ and taken forever because the lawyer did not have the time to take care of the visa case properly. You have more time than a lawyer does to cross your Ts and dot your Is and make sure everything is good to go and you have more time to be checking online at your case status etc than they would.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else was using a immigration lawyer for their spousals visa's? Im will be in the uk and my husband will be in the USA. We really want someone who will let up know asap where we stand, and what information we will need to provide, without time wasting! Any comments would be helpful. Thanks as always!

A small startup guide for you in my signature :star:

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

i agree with what everyone has said to you. you're worried about time, but hiring a lawyer to file the petition in you and your hubby's behalf does not cut processing and waiting time at all! what it does cut into is your pockets. like Darnell said, if there are no red flags to worry about, the lawyer will just be doing the same thing you will be doing if you did the process yourselves.

I-130 for wife and kids

---------------------------------------------

02/11/2010: I-130 as an LPR mailed certified

02/25/2010: Recvd letters-I-130s was recvd

06/17/2010: Oathtaking - Became a US Citizen

06/21/2010: Called USCIS to let them know to update my I-130 from an LPR petition to a USC petition.

06/25/2010: Case for both sons Touched

06/28/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Oldest son)

06/30/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Wife & youngest son)

07/19/2010: G-325A returned. Incomplete.

07/30/2010: Completed G-325A mailed back via certified mail

08/04/2010: Certified mail delivered at Laguna Niguel

08/07/2010: Touched - UCSIC received reply to RFE

08/13/2010: I-130 APPROVED!!! (recvd email update)

NVC JOURNEY

08/20/2010: NVC recvd I-130 and case number assigned

09/01/2010: Recvd AOS fee bill & DS-3032 via email

09/02/2010: Paid AOS fee & DS-3032 sent back via email

09/13/2010: AOS packet mailed via UPS

09/15/2010: AOS signed for by NVC. IV fee for wife & kids ready.

10/07/2010: Per AVR/NVC - Need to correct I864W for kids

10/11/2010: DS-230 packet & corrected I-864W sent to NVC via UPS

10/15/2010: Recvd and signed for by NVC

11/02/2010: NVC online fee payment portal SIF. NVC adviced that final stages of review.

11/03/2010: AVR - APPLICATION COMPLETED!!

11/10/2010: Medical...1st day at St. Luke's

11/12/2010: Pick up results for Medical - PASSED!

11/16/2010: USEM interview scheduled on 12/14/10

12/14/2010: VISAS APPROVED!!!!

12/20/2010: Visas received

02/22/2011: Cali bound

Timeline

i agree with what everyone has said to you. you're worried about time, but hiring a lawyer to file the petition in you and your hubby's behalf does not cut processing and waiting time at all! what it does cut into is your pockets. like Darnell said, if there are no red flags to worry about, the lawyer will just be doing the same thing you will be doing if you did the process yourselves.

Thanks for the advice, the forms can be filled out relatively easy by myself and husband. The checklist was real helpful, so again thank you all this information is greatly appreciated. So applying for the K3 spousal visa and then AOS within the 2 years after it is approved whilst in the states seems the best route-or does anyone think the CR1 is better? it says it could also take longer but not always. Also am i correct in NOT filing for the I129?

Also having to have the medical in england can anyone point me in the direction for more info or when it should be done?

Timeline

With the CR-1 you dont have to do AOS, when you enter on the CR-1 visa you get your green card in the mail automatically.

With the K-3 its $1010 to aos and im not completely sure but i think its administrativly closed anyways.

AOS can take some months to be approved so you would have to wait to get a job where as CR-1 you could start working pretty much right away and not have to pay 1010$ and wait.

Wait wait, no no. K3 is administratively closed. You will apply for the Cr1/IR1. (That's what people linked you to). It's just as fast now as the K3 was and you are a permanent resident when you enter the country. You said you "will be" in England. Are you in England now? Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Wait wait, no no. K3 is administratively closed. You will apply for the Cr1/IR1. (That's what people linked you to). It's just as fast now as the K3 was and you are a permanent resident when you enter the country. You said you "will be" in England. Are you in England now? Good luck!

Ok the CR1 it is and no im not in England yet but will be going back next week

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

K-3 ?

what ?

you seriously are considering a K-3 ?

truly ?

wow.

OK - please? click this link - read it - then LET ME KNOW yer thoughts, after you read it?

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010/02/07/department-of-state-to-close-k-3-visas-if-i-129f-and-i-130-petitions-approved-and-received-together/

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

K-3 ?

what ?

you seriously are considering a K-3 ?

truly ?

wow.

OK - please? click this link - read it - then LET ME KNOW yer thoughts, after you read it?

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2010/02/07/department-of-state-to-close-k-3-visas-if-i-129f-and-i-130-petitions-approved-and-received-together/

So there is no point doing the K3 so glad we found this out before applying, a immigration lawyer actually advised me to do this.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

So there is no point doing the K3 so glad we found this out before applying, a immigration lawyer actually advised me to do this.

Replace your immigration lawyer. He may not have handled this year cases.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I wish I would have found VJ before hiring a lawyer! He did NOTHING!!!!!!! He left our case sitting in his office for almost 2 months after we had already paid NVC and then we had 2 RFE's, things he should have known we were supposed to send. I did all of the calling and emailing to NVC and the Embassy! Like I said, HE DID NOTHING!!!!!!!! You will find out quite a bit from here, just ask, if they dont know, someone will find out for you! Good luck with everything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.