Mike n Huong

Internet Access via wi-fi

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Good Morning,

On my upcoming trip to Vietnam I will need to do some work. I will need to use wi-fi to access working files on my office server in the US. Does anyone have any experience doing so or knowledge? What is my best option of a strong signal that would provide me with consistent connection. I know there is a USB device, but I don't know much about it. It would enable me to access internet anywhere? What is the cost of the device?

Also what about electric issues regarding the laptop. Will I have any issues charging a laptop due to different voltages or plug configurations????? I definately don't want to fry my companies computer.

As always your help is greatly appreciated

Mike

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
<br />Good Morning,<br /><br />On my upcoming trip to Vietnam I will need to do some work. I will need to use wi-fi to access working files on my office server in the US. Does anyone have any experience doing so or knowledge? What is my best option of a strong signal that would provide me with consistent connection. I know there is a USB device, but I don't know much about it. It would enable me to access internet anywhere? What is the cost of the device?<br /><br />Also what about electric issues regarding the laptop. Will I have any issues charging a laptop due to different voltages or plug configurations????? I definately don't want to fry my companies computer. <br /><br />As always your help is greatly appreciated<br /><br />Mike<br />
<br /><br />You should have a wi fi receiver built into your laptop? Is there going to be a signal available where you stay? If you're staying in a hotel just make sure you visit the room first and make sure the signals good. If you're talking about a mobile internet deal, I think it is possible. I saw a billboard the other day advertising a USB receiver, but I have no idea what the price or terms would be.<br /><br />Regarding the electric, just get a power strip like this:

Product-2008526102015.jpg

You can get them here for about 100K VND. You can get ones that are cheaper than that, but cords usually pull out of those easily.

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

check with the hotel for the DSL/wifi connectivity... some often have issues from time to time.. the more stars the hotel has, the better the internet service will be...... As Mark said, a strip like that can do wonders.. Charging your phone, laptop etc.. buy it there as it will be alot cheaper than the ones you can get here...

.I always work while I am there and never have any issues other than an occasional internet outage at the hotel... they usually dont last long.. I like working when I am there because I can work on two calendar days in the US all in one VN Day... the time change can be an asset...

If your laptop does not have wifi built in, there are usb devices available here pretty cheap... be sure you have a firewall and antivirus installed before you go.... you shouldnt have any issues...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Make sure anything that you plug into that powerstrip is within the VN voltage standards or you'll fry your electronic(s)!!!

I was able to get my hair dryer to work, but when I brought it back to the states, I had found that I had fried it!!! :P

You should consider getting a voltage converter...it'll run you between 50-100 bucks but it's totally worth it!!!

Edited by lindal24

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

Make sure anything that you plug into that powerstrip is within the VN voltage standards or you'll fry your electronic(s)!!!

I was able to get my hair dryer to work, but when I brought it back to the states, I had found that I had fried it!!! :P

You should consider getting a voltage converter...it'll run you between 50-100 bucks but it's totally worth it!!!

That's wierd. I would expect the fuse in the power strip to blow first.

A laptop should be fine, but you probably should check the standards. I have one that I bought in the US that I've used over a year.

Timeline

The majority of consumer electronics use universal power supplies. Read the specs on the power supply. If it's rated for 110V-220V and 50Hz-60Hz then it will work virtually anywhere, though you may need an adapter plug in some places (which you can get for a few bucks at Radio Shack).

I have a laptop that's 6 years old, a Digital 8 camcorder that's 10 years old, and a still camera that's 4 years old. The power supplies/rechargers for all of these worked just fine in Vietnam.

Unless your laptop is a real dinosaur, it should have WiFi built-in. Some hotels don't have WiFi. For example, the 4 stars in Hue city have ethernet jacks in the rooms. If you have an ethernet jack on your laptop, bring a Cat 5 ethernet cable, just in case.

As Scott suggested, a firewall and anti-virus software are essential. If you plan on accessing your work files or a company network then you should also use a secure connection - VPN or SSL.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks to all of you for the information. The computer will have Wi-Fi built in, and access thru VPN. So From I have read I get this. Get the converter plug strip. Make sure anything I plug into the strip is rated for 110V-220V and 50Hz-60Hz. If other than listed, I would need the voltage converter (shouldn't need it).

As for internet access, I will be staying at my parent in laws house. It is a new development about 20 minutes outside the city. That is why I was inquiring about the USB device that has internet connection. Anyone have any further info on this type of device? Is it like a 3g connection or something like that? The files I will be downloading will be kind of large (1 MB) Drawing files. I would have to travel to the city everyday and hang out at a cafe or something. There will be a firewall and virus software installed as company policy.

The majority of consumer electronics use universal power supplies. Read the specs on the power supply. If it's rated for 110V-220V and 50Hz-60Hz then it will work virtually anywhere, though you may need an adapter plug in some places (which you can get for a few bucks at Radio Shack).

I have a laptop that's 6 years old, a Digital 8 camcorder that's 10 years old, and a still camera that's 4 years old. The power supplies/rechargers for all of these worked just fine in Vietnam.

Unless your laptop is a real dinosaur, it should have WiFi built-in. Some hotels don't have WiFi. For example, the 4 stars in Hue city have ethernet jacks in the rooms. If you have an ethernet jack on your laptop, bring a Cat 5 ethernet cable, just in case.

As Scott suggested, a firewall and anti-virus software are essential. If you plan on accessing your work files or a company network then you should also use a secure connection - VPN or SSL.

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Timeline

I have used a USB internet access for many years now and that is how I am able to go around the country constantly and get on the internet and I am on it now at a truck stop here in Tulsa. It is so good that I use it at home even and I have the house set up with wi fi. When I am on 3G I get blazing speeds. When I don't I still get good speeds but not enough to allow me to stream games and download movies as it takes too long but adequate to do many other stuff. I use ATT as my service. It also has its own phone number and acts like a cell phone that can only access data. They are expensive though but I got my first one many years ago cheap by signing up for a two year plan. Since then I renew the plan as I am about to do next month and get a new USB connect for free. Sometimes I see a new one that has came out that everyone talks about and get that one for a huge discount.

A better bet may be your own cell phone. Many cell phones has the ability to connect to a laptop with a cord from the cell to the usb port. It can also give very good speeds and may be the cheaper route for you but you need to find out if your cell phone is data capable and portable to laptop. Just call and ask or go into the nearest store that handles your line. My cell phone I have now is not capable of it but my last one was. The best part is you can use the phone regular and then as a data connect. The bad part is that you can't receive calls but have heard that ATT has some phones that you can do both now so may be worth checking.

As for Wi Fi I also have used extensively all over the country and even the Saigon airport had a free Wi Fi hot spot I used. It is a nice thing to have and most all laptops has a built in card to receive the signal. Not too many years ago you used to have bought a Wi Fi card to use but not now. Many places has Wi Fi that is free to use. (Any coffee place has it for free like Starbucks) but many places will have you pay by day or month. I seldom use Wi Fi now as my USB connect and ATT is able to give me access almost anywhere I am at and at good speeds. Seldom though I get to a place that I have terrible service and I am at a truck stop that has Wi Fi and I will pay if it is not free or I will go without and just read a book. The main thing about using Wi Fi though is that anything can be captured so do not pay bills online or anyplace sensitive and that means also with a firewall or anti virus. It has happened to me twice now at a Wi Fi hotspot. (Once at a place in Michigan and Once in New Jersey) When I need to do online bill paying or other sensitive stuff I use the USB connect and the security features.

If any other questions then feel free to ask or send a message as I am very experienced at using the laptop on the road.

Timeline

Thanks to all of you for the information. The computer will have Wi-Fi built in, and access thru VPN. So From I have read I get this. Get the converter plug strip. Make sure anything I plug into the strip is rated for 110V-220V and 50Hz-60Hz. If other than listed, I would need the voltage converter (shouldn't need it).

As for internet access, I will be staying at my parent in laws house. It is a new development about 20 minutes outside the city. That is why I was inquiring about the USB device that has internet connection. Anyone have any further info on this type of device? Is it like a 3g connection or something like that? The files I will be downloading will be kind of large (1 MB) Drawing files. I would have to travel to the city everyday and hang out at a cafe or something. There will be a firewall and virus software installed as company policy.

I'm not sure you really need the power strip, unless you've got a lot of stuff to plug in. Most of the sockets I've seen in VN will accept either a European round-pin plug or a US blade plug. The only problem I've encountered is that there usually aren't many extra sockets in a room.

Anyway, I bring a couple of these, just in case:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932600

pRS1-6980390w345.jpg

They fit in a pocket in my camera bag, so it's a lot less space than a power strip.

I can't comment on the 3G internet service. I've never used it, even in the US. :blush:

Timeline

I'm not sure you really need the power strip, unless you've got a lot of stuff to plug in. Most of the sockets I've seen in VN will accept either a European round-pin plug or a US blade plug. The only problem I've encountered is that there usually aren't many extra sockets in a room.

Anyway, I bring a couple of these, just in case:

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3932600

pRS1-6980390w345.jpg

They fit in a pocket in my camera bag, so it's a lot less space than a power strip.

I can't comment on the 3G internet service. I've never used it, even in the US. :blush:

Timeline

The problem I ran into with that type of adapter was space, as you mentioned. With some power cords you end up only being able to plug in the computer because the other socket doesn't have enough clearance. A lot of places only have one or two outlets in a room as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I prefer the strips that have a surge protector built in since the power is so unstable there...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

The problem I ran into with that type of adapter was space, as you mentioned. With some power cords you end up only being able to plug in the computer because the other socket doesn't have enough clearance. A lot of places only have one or two outlets in a room as well.

Yeah, we have that problem when we stay in Saigon. The hotel that Phuong's cousin owns only has two outlet plates in the room, and one is fully occupied by the TV and mini refrigerator. Charging both of our cell phones at the same time on the second outlet is a challenge because both chargers are wall warts that normally would be too bulky to coexist on the same socket plate. Even though my cell charger is universal, and would work fine without the adapter, I put the adapter on it anyway. This lifts it off the socket plate far enough for Phuong's charger to fit underneath it. When we need another socket, for a laptop or whatever, we unplug the TV. :blush:

Everywhere else we've stayed has had at least two vacant socket plates, even if one might be in the bathroom.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Check your laptop power supply, 99.9% are rated at the 110, and 220 (100/240) this means you do not need a thing. The power is flaky, and knock on wood I have not had any issues at all with my power cords, and I have not bought a single adapter. Sometimes the connection is a bit loose, but most of the time they will plug in, the only real problem is that you have a three pronged adapter, you can buy a two pronged adapter or as others have said just buy a surge protector here, or as I did, just clip off the ground, and plug it in. For the USB internet access you have to pay like 1 million dong just for the unit, and then sign a contract, as most people have also said most hotels have WIFI and your laptop should have WIFI already which means you should be able to come here and go to work, and even IF your hotel does not have WIFI there are hundreds of coffee shops all over the place that do have FREE WIFI, but check the room first to see if you have a strong signal, a few times the hotel would move the router closer to the middle of the hotel so that I could get a better signal. I needed the internet and still do because I am doing online college classes with specific due dates for posts. Good luck and have fun while you are here, don’t do all work and no play! Jerome and Binh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.