Sheepish Mareep

UK Husband - Do we have a chance?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry I've been posting here so much, but I just need some reassurance/advice!

Okay, so I'm 22 years old. A recent college graduate, looking for work.

My soon-to-be-husband is 19 years old and lives in the United Kingdom. Clean record. Sweet, great guy and my best friend.

He's visiting me on the visa waiver program. He leaves next week. We've decided to get married (the benefits for this are better than the fiance visa). He's obviously still leaving the country next week to be within the law.

I'm just nervous. I'm trying to find a permanent job, and once I land one that pays above the income level I plan on applying for the CR-1. Because I made less than the income requirement for the past three years due to being a student, I was told here to find a co-sponsor. I'm considering my parents.

So on top of the waiting game of finding a job in the economy, I'm worried that he won't be allowed to come here on the spouse visa because I'll have a cosponsor. They'll say I wouldn't be able to support him or something. If I find work that pays under the requirement while I search for something my degree applies to, would having a cosponsor hurt me? Could they find that I wouldn't make enough to support him, even though he plans on working once he's able to here. I'm scared and just want to be with my best friend! :(

Thank you :) Your advice is appreciated!

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle; rather a great reminder of just how strong true love can be.

No it won't hurt you a lot of people need to use a co sponsor.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

London accepts cosponsors. If your parents are willing and qualify, you don't need to have a job at all. You can have zero income and the cosponsor can carry all of it (you would still need to file as primary sponsor despite no income). No need to wait to file the I-130 once you have the marriage certificate to mail with your packet.

Happy wedding!!!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

London accepts cosponsors. If your parents are willing and qualify, you don't need to have a job at all. You can have zero income and the cosponsor can carry all of it (you would still need to file as primary sponsor despite no income). No need to wait to file the I-130 once you have the marriage certificate to mail with your packet.

Happy wedding!!!

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!

I really am a hardworking person, I just need to get a decent job with this degree.. I've been temping from part-time to full-time with the federal government throughout college, so my income has never been enough. Thank you so much, you've made my day!

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle; rather a great reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Sorry I've been posting here so much, but I just need some reassurance/advice!

Okay, so I'm 22 years old. A recent college graduate, looking for work.

My soon-to-be-husband is 19 years old and lives in the United Kingdom. Clean record. Sweet, great guy and my best friend.

He's visiting me on the visa waiver program. He leaves next week. We've decided to get married (the benefits for this are better than the fiance visa). He's obviously still leaving the country next week to be within the law.

I'm just nervous. I'm trying to find a permanent job, and once I land one that pays above the income level I plan on applying for the CR-1. Because I made less than the income requirement for the past three years due to being a student, I was told here to find a co-sponsor. I'm considering my parents.

So on top of the waiting game of finding a job in the economy, I'm worried that he won't be allowed to come here on the spouse visa because I'll have a cosponsor. They'll say I wouldn't be able to support him or something. If I find work that pays under the requirement while I search for something my degree applies to, would having a cosponsor hurt me? Could they find that I wouldn't make enough to support him, even though he plans on working once he's able to here. I'm scared and just want to be with my best friend! :(

Thank you :) Your advice is appreciated!

Do you want to be with your boyfriend,and soon to be with your husband OR YOUR BEST FRIEND??? ;)

That's no-no for embassy :)

Timeline

Do you want to be with your boyfriend,and soon to be with your husband OR YOUR BEST FRIEND??? ;)

That's no-no for embassy :)

lol I guess right now he's all three!

I won't apply with no income, but it's nice to know even if I have to work entry-level retail I have a safety net!

I'm so glad the London embassy is open with cosponsors!

Do they do credit checks or anything for the affidavit of support? I think my parents have pretty bad credit (bad decisions in the past).. but they make well above the required income.

Again, thank you!

He also doesn't have to go home. You can file for Adjustment of Status and he stays in the country. Cosponsors are fine for that too. That might not be an option for you if he has business to take care of at home, but since he did not plan on immigrating when he entered, it is not illegal, as you suggest.

Edit: There are some more risks doing this from VWP, but I just want you to know all of your options and you can weigh them and decide what is best for you. Congrats!!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Thank you very much :)

I didn't know it was possible for him to stay, but he does have some things to sort out back home so I figure we can do it this way. I'm just relieved that the cosponsors will be enough!

Also, I'm kind of in a transitional stage considering where I live. If I petition to bring him over here and I'm using my parents as a co-sponsor, can I just use their address and change it when I move? I figure in the time it takes the visa process, I'll have a permanent place to call home. Would that cause a lot of problems during the process?

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Would that cause a lot of problems during the process?

Not at all.

Co-sponsorship is not only for London. It is for everybody where the petitioner does not meet the min. income to overcome the poverty lines.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Timeline

So we got married and I had to say goodbye to him! It was so hard! I'm still looking for a job, heard something from a good employer so hopefully I'll go somewhere with that. Once I get the marriage cert in the mail and legally change my name I'm going to file. I'm going to use my parents as cosponsors, would explaining my situation (degree holder seeking employment) in a cover letter in my app be beneficial? Thanks :)

So we got married and I had to say goodbye to him! It was so hard! I'm still looking for a job, heard something from a good employer so hopefully I'll go somewhere with that. Once I get the marriage cert in the mail and legally change my name I'm going to file. I'm going to use my parents as cosponsors, would explaining my situation (degree holder seeking employment) in a cover letter in my app be beneficial? Thanks :)

I think it will be more that it is beneficial to you (from a feel-good standpoint) than necessary for the processing. There are lots of young/just out of college applicants on these boards who are in just the same situation.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.