doodlebugg

AOS Interview Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone been put on a name check wait (I forget the technical term for it) after having had the AOS interview? I never even thought about that until my husband brought it up last night. He was thinking this interview we have tomorrow will be the same type as the one in Cairo and I was all like no no no this is much easier. For Middle Easterners is the name check a given?

If they don't do a name check do they give you the green card there or do you have to wait for it?

Thanks!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

There's definitely potential for name checks for AOS.

They don't give the greencard at the interview. If all goes well and there are no name checks you could possibly get it within a couple weeks. We had to get an updated medical but my husband's GC was approved at the interview pending the new medical. We sent the new medical on a Saturday and by the following Monday (9 days later) we got an email stating the card was being produced and a week later it was in our mailbox.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

I want to add that it's not necessarily easier than a visa interview it's just different. Our AOS interview took place in an IO's cubicle. We both sat down, swore in, she asked my husband a few questions including if we were still married and living together then we gave her our proofs of being a couple (bills, lease, pics, tax returns); she looked them over and asked a few questions about the pics; put copies of the bills, lease and tax return in his file then gave us an RFE type thing with info for the new medical. It took us all of 15-20 mins. I have heard of couples getting seperated for their interviews but I don't believe that is as common.

Edited by je veux ton amour

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

Our AOS interview was short and easy, and the interviewer said we were approved, pending name check. The name check still hadn't been finished after a year, but then they changed the rules that it could not last more than 6 months so our case was adjudicated. Hopefully it isn't so bad anymore (this was 2006/2007). I also don't know if it made a difference that we adjusted status from an H1B visa, so there wasn't the intensive background checking that it seems like people face when they do K1, so maybe that is why it took so long. In any case, it was annoying, and has delayed everything by a year. But at least he was able to work during this time because of his visa.

I wish you the best of luck.

Zahra

Has anyone been put on a name check wait (I forget the technical term for it) after having had the AOS interview? I never even thought about that until my husband brought it up last night. He was thinking this interview we have tomorrow will be the same type as the one in Cairo and I was all like no no no this is much easier. For Middle Easterners is the name check a given?

If they don't do a name check do they give you the green card there or do you have to wait for it?

Thanks!

Timeline

I want to add that it's not necessarily easier than a visa interview it's just different. Our AOS interview took place in an IO's cubicle. We both sat down, swore in, she asked my husband a few questions including if we were still married and living together then we gave her our proofs of being a couple (bills, lease, pics, tax returns); she looked them over and asked a few questions about the pics; put copies of the bills, lease and tax return in his file then gave us an RFE type thing with info for the new medical. It took us all of 15-20 mins. I have heard of couples getting seperated for their interviews but I don't believe that is as common.

He had to redo his medical too but they should have it. I hope ours is only 15-20 minutes!

(((doods!)))

I have been thinking about you! Hope all is good with you~looks like your are almost done with USCIS!

We might soon be done~ we have a 2nd AOS interview in Chicago on Sept 17th

Jackie (F)

Second AOS interview? Why a second? That would be our luck. Hope all goes well with yours. I'm actually pretty calm about ours - more excited for the celebration dinner at our favorite Greek restaurant later that night! lol

Hi,

Our AOS interview was short and easy, and the interviewer said we were approved, pending name check. The name check still hadn't been finished after a year, but then they changed the rules that it could not last more than 6 months so our case was adjudicated. Hopefully it isn't so bad anymore (this was 2006/2007). I also don't know if it made a difference that we adjusted status from an H1B visa, so there wasn't the intensive background checking that it seems like people face when they do K1, so maybe that is why it took so long. In any case, it was annoying, and has delayed everything by a year. But at least he was able to work during this time because of his visa.

I wish you the best of luck.

Zahra

Thanks. Oh I hope his name check doesn't take too long. He really wants to apply for a Post Office job and they won't accept his application with just his EAD.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks. Oh I hope his name check doesn't take too long. He really wants to apply for a Post Office job and they won't accept his application with just his EAD.

Is this for his AOS, ROC or his Citizenship application? I thought he had been here for quite some time? Sadly, he can't work for the US government if he is not a US Citizen.

Timeline

Is this for his AOS, ROC or his Citizenship application? I thought he had been here for quite some time? Sadly, he can't work for the US government if he is not a US Citizen.

He's been here for about 2 1/2 years now. It was for his AOS and since we've been married for 3 1/2 yrs he's good for ten now. (they approved him)

Per their website, to work at the USPS, a greencard is OK:

http://www.usps.com/employment/employrequirements.htm?from=employment&page=leftnav_employreqs

Citizenship

Employees must be a United States citizen, a lawful permanent resident alien (i.e., possession of a “green card”), a citizen of American Samoa or any other territory owing permanent allegiance to the United States. Individuals solely granted asylum status, refugee status or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

He's been here for about 2 1/2 years now. It was for his AOS and since we've been married for 3 1/2 yrs he's good for ten now. (they approved him)

Per their website, to work at the USPS, a greencard is OK:

http://www.usps.com/employment/employrequirements.htm?from=employment&page=leftnav_employreqs

Citizenship

Employees must be a United States citizen, a lawful permanent resident alien (i.e., possession of a “green card”), a citizen of American Samoa or any other territory owing permanent allegiance to the United States. Individuals solely granted asylum status, refugee status or conditional permanent resident status are not eligible for Postal Service employment.

Well that's great...because you can't even think about a majority of federal government jobs if you aren't a USC.

There is a potential for all kinds of name checks. We went through AOS hell. We had to deal with ICE and multiple name checks. Did your hubby register with NSEERS?

Timeline

My husband didn't register for anything including NSEERS. I don't even know what that is, lol. We had little or no background checks post interview. I imagine there was some checking post biometrics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.