Sayha or bust.

What are my chances realistically?

13 posts in this topic

My fiancée just received her first letter in Vietnam, we estimate interview within the next 2 to 3 months. With a well prepared case(front loaded) , she should be able to answer all the Co's questions, realistically what are her chances of getting Pink the first time around? what seems to be the trend lately of approvals in Vietnam? Vietnamese is a second language to her , her being Cambodian( Khmer Krom) is there a possibility of having the interview in Cambodian? Her English is fair and improving each week.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The K1 general forum is probably not a good place to ask questions that are very specifically about the consulate in Vietnam, and also depend heavily on your particular case.

The odds of being approved the first time vary radically depending on the red flags in your case. Frontloading your petition with evidence may help to mitigate some red flags, but only if the evidence specifically addresses the red flags. Some things, more often than not, are the kiss of doom, no matter how you try to address them. For example, if the petitioner made only one trip to Vietnam and had a simple engagement ceremony on that first trip then the odds of the visa being denied are pretty high. Some have done this and succeeded. Many many more have failed.

It's unlikely they'll have either a consular officer or translator who speaks Cambodian. Interviews are conducted either in English or Vietnamese. Unfortunately, she cannot bring a translator with her.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I hired an attorney over in Saigon, he had me pull a first choice which came back fine, I had an assault a fight with another man(1994)It didn't come back on the criminal report of the first choice. We did file it under imbra on the I -129, we also told how we were introduced, long story short I saw her on my co workers marriage video and inquired about her, his wife happened to be her neighbor and found out she never married again after her husband passed away. That was something we addressed in our petition so hopefully were good on those issues. I will make more trips if necessary but I do work for a company thats very competitive and hard to get time off other than your vacation. I work with a company that does a lot of government contracts in defense and life support, could that be a plus in the process? Never really talked about it with my lawyer.

The K1 general forum is probably not a good place to ask questions that are very specifically about the consulate in Vietnam, and also depend heavily on your particular case.

The odds of being approved the first time vary radically depending on the red flags in your case. Frontloading your petition with evidence may help to mitigate some red flags, but only if the evidence specifically addresses the red flags. Some things, more often than not, are the kiss of doom, no matter how you try to address them. For example, if the petitioner made only one trip to Vietnam and had a simple engagement ceremony on that first trip then the odds of the visa being denied are pretty high. Some have done this and succeeded. Many many more have failed.

It's unlikely they'll have either a consular officer or translator who speaks Cambodian. Interviews are conducted either in English or Vietnamese. Unfortunately, she cannot bring a translator with her.

Buddha.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

* Moving from K1 forum to Vietnam regional forum as OP's questions are Vietnam specific *

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I hired an attorney over in Saigon, he had me pull a first choice which came back fine, I had an assault a fight with another man(1994)It didn't come back on the criminal report of the first choice. We did file it under imbra on the I -129, we also told how we were introduced, long story short I saw her on my co workers marriage video and inquired about her, his wife happened to be her neighbor and found out she never married again after her husband passed away. That was something we addressed in our petition so hopefully were good on those issues. I will make more trips if necessary but I do work for a company thats very competitive and hard to get time off other than your vacation. I work with a company that does a lot of government contracts in defense and life support, could that be a plus in the process? Never really talked about it with my lawyer.

I heard the consulate uses Lexis Nexis, but it doesn't matter. Not every charge or conviction will come up with every background check agency. Anyway, that's not the sort of "red flag" I was talking about. I was referring more to things the consulate considers to be an indicator that the relationship may be a sham for immigration purposes.

We've done red flag bullet lists in the past, but I kinda hate to do that sort of thing. Something that might be a red flag in one case might be completely innocent in another. Some things look completely innocent until viewed through the light of other circumstances, and then they become glaring red flags. I used the example of the one visit/engagement because it's a common red flag that has resulted in many people ultimately being denied.

It's a common misconception that being a government employee, or working in a field where you have close government contacts, might improve your chances. It ain't true. The only thing that might might a difference, in this respect, is if the guy/girl standing on the other side of the glass window at the consulate interview happens to be a personal friend of yours. Short of that, they don't care who you work for. They just care if you clearly make enough to meet the income requirements to sponsor an immigrant. It also helps if your income is very well above the minimum requirements, as this helps put you above suspicion of being paid by her family to help her immigrate.

Does your attorney see any problems with your case?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Her initial interview with the lawyer in January, he pointed out her English and Vietnamese was not good, and worried about how much she could communicate with me. She has been tutored for well over a year and the fact we talk 3,000 to 4,000 minutes a month along with skype she has improved tremendously. I have no problem understanding her and she takes in a lot of what I say. My lawyer really never said much about red flags and he's not the type of man to get my hopes up. One thing he did say is "If your love is real and you don't give up on her, she will be with you". So everyday are talks are more geared up for the interview along with more emails about my life history. I know I could be in for a long ride and will do what it take to get her here. I was just hoping there has been more approvals lately. My lawyer did mention the part of Vietnam she lives in and Ethnic group she's from wasn't high on the list for fraud and sham marriages. I pray every day and work hard knowing as one day passes, it's one day closer she will be with me.

I heard the consulate uses Lexis Nexis, but it doesn't matter. Not every charge or conviction will come up with every background check agency. Anyway, that's not the sort of "red flag" I was talking about. I was referring more to things the consulate considers to be an indicator that the relationship may be a sham for immigration purposes.

We've done red flag bullet lists in the past, but I kinda hate to do that sort of thing. Something that might be a red flag in one case might be completely innocent in another. Some things look completely innocent until viewed through the light of other circumstances, and then they become glaring red flags. I used the example of the one visit/engagement because it's a common red flag that has resulted in many people ultimately being denied.

It's a common misconception that being a government employee, or working in a field where you have close government contacts, might improve your chances. It ain't true. The only thing that might might a difference, in this respect, is if the guy/girl standing on the other side of the glass window at the consulate interview happens to be a personal friend of yours. Short of that, they don't care who you work for. They just care if you clearly make enough to meet the income requirements to sponsor an immigrant. It also helps if your income is very well above the minimum requirements, as this helps put you above suspicion of being paid by her family to help her immigrate.

Does your attorney see any problems with your case?

Buddha.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will be fine brother, don’t sweat it, we both know your love is real, even if it doesn’t work out on the first try it will all work out in the end. For those of you his lawyer is ME so I am sure he addressed all of his red flags adequately. This is what I think will happen Rich, you will probably get a blue slip (which will really suck since she lives in the country side not in HCMC) asking for some stupid thing that she will have had at the interview that they will refuse to accept. Once she then delivers what they want she will either be issued a pink or possibly another blue putting you in AP. With what just happened in HCMC I don’t think that it will be put into AP, and if it is then only for a short time probably within the 90 day limit they once shot for. She has 2 kids, and you have kids, you have made two trips, and had the engagement party on the second, Binh could understand her Vietnamese well enough that at the interview between her English, and her Viet she will be fine. Also as we talked before she can come stay here before the interview and we can give her a crash course in English and do interview prep with her so that she will be more comfortable when she arrives. Normally I give people going through HCMC about a 30% chance at pass, and that might be way high but in your case I would truly give you better than 75% shot. I know you might want 99% but I don’t think anyone can ever get that type of shot even in Canada. Don’t fret what you have no control over, just go in there with the attitude that it doesn’t matter what they say because you know you WILL be together one way or another. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

At this point no, if she goes into Ap, I'm hoping our lawyer can submit any paperwork we might need. My job right now is very busy going into the 3rd quarter. 2 or 3 months from now when it get close to interview who know's i might jump on a plane and make the trip.

Are you considering being at the interview?

Being there may help a lot...

Kenny

Buddha.

At this point no, if she goes into Ap, I'm hoping our lawyer can submit any paperwork we might need. My job right now is very busy going into the 3rd quarter. 2 or 3 months from now when it get close to interview who know's i might jump on a plane and make the trip.

How many trips have you made?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

This may not be the rignt time to say this, but I feel it's an important time for the two of you.. Not going to the interview is kind of like not going to the wedding (in my mind).. I've been telling my employer since before I started the Process that I would need this time to make the trip...

If your fiancee can't speak good English or Vietnamese, I would think you being there would be even more crucial since you may need to help her through the interview.. In addition, it may help her be more at ease through a rather stressful day.. Maybe it's just me and my particular situation, but with everything I've been through to get to this point, there's no way I would consider not being there.. I received my interview date late last week, I purchased the Plane tickets the next day...

It's My Opinion, Granted, but I believe, you gotta go man!

Kenny

You are not allowed in the consulate during interview. I possibly could go in a few days later depending on the evidence they want. I will follow my lawyer advice to the tee, he is very experienced in Immigration plus he lives there. Like I said, it's not that i don't want to be there,it's not an issue of money. If I don't have a job to come back to, then she don't come over. Thanks Kenny as time gets closer to interview, and if recommended I will get on that plane for 19 hours not counting the layovers and convince whoever that our relationship is real and I have all the means to take care of her and the children.

This may not be the rignt time to say this, but I feel it's an important time for the two of you.. Not going to the interview is kind of like not going to the wedding (in my mind).. I've been telling my employer since before I started the Process that I would need this time to make the trip...

If your fiancee can't speak good English or Vietnamese, I would think you being there would be even more crucial since you may need to help her through the interview.. In addition, it may help her be more at ease through a rather stressful day.. Maybe it's just me and my particular situation, but with everything I've been through to get to this point, there's no way I would consider not being there.. I received my interview date late last week, I purchased the Plane tickets the next day...

It's My Opinion, Granted, but I believe, you gotta go man!

Kenny

Buddha.

Timeline

You are not allowed in the consulate during interview. I possibly could go in a few days later depending on the evidence they want. I will follow my lawyer advice to the tee, he is very experienced in Immigration plus he lives there. Like I said, it's not that i don't want to be there,it's not an issue of money. If I don't have a job to come back to, then she don't come over. Thanks Kenny as time gets closer to interview, and if recommended I will get on that plane for 19 hours not counting the layovers and convince whoever that our relationship is real and I have all the means to take care of her and the children.

Don'y really know all the particulars of your case but it seems that you have just as good a chance as anyone else. Just make sure she is very prepared for any questions and have her answer them truthfully and if she doesn't know then she needs to say that she doesn't. It is easier said then done but she just needs to try to relax as much as possible and appear as confident as possible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.