HAPPILY MARRIED

looking for advise

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

rickmt,

On what do you base this opinion? Where is there an immigration status requirement in the laws defining a 'legal' marriage?

Yodrak

My question would be how can there be a legal marriage when he was in the country illigally? It would seem to me that he gave false information when they married making the marriage illegal just like him.

Just my opinion.

Someone could be legally married to a USC and still not be permitted to enter the US.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Well Yoda,

I dont think I mentioned anything about immigration in my response.

I stated that he must have given false information when he entered into the marriage thus making it an illegal marriage . Nowhere did I mention immigration.

Rick & Liyan

CR-1

Married June 15 2006

Mailed I-130 June 26

Check cashed I-130 $190.00 7-24-2006

Touched 7-21-2006

P-1 I-797 receipt 7-24-2006

P-2 November 15, 2006

DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill mailed 12-04-2006

received I-864 fee bill and DS-3032 12-09-2006

Scanned DS-3032 and emailed to Wife 12-10-2006

Sent I-864 fee $70.00 12-11-2006 USPS

Wife mailed DS-3032 12-11-2006 FedEx

NVC received DS-3032 12-13-2006

NVC received $70.00 fee bill 12-13-2006

Received the $380.00 IV Fee Bill 01-03-2007

Sent back the $380.00 IV Fee Bill 01-04-2007

received I-864 01-08-2007

sent back I-864 01-09-2007

Received DS-230

NVC received 1-25-07

Called NVC, missing or incomplete information on packet sent to them

so they are sending out a letter. 2-09-07 Waiting for letter....

Got letter said they hadnt received our DS-230. Called the NVC said they had received it disregard letter....2-15-07

NVC has completed the case, 03-09-07 off to GUZ!!!

CR-1 mailed to GUZ 03-14-07

June 8th found out interview is July 9th!!!!!!! Waiting for P-4

P-4 arrived on June 16th at my wifes apartment.

Med check done on June 20th have to go back for results and Vacinations.....

Interview July 9th, PASSED!!!!!

wife flies to San Fransisco July 26th, 20 minutes to clear cutoms..

July 30 applies for SS card

I-129F

Mailed I-129F 7-24-2006

Delivered Chicago 7-26-2006

I-797C receipt 8-03-200

Check cashed I-129F $170.00 8-04-2006

P-2 1-12-07

I-129 sent to Guz on 2-1-07

Recieved Guz number...

K-3 turned into CR-1 not sure when...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

rickmt, I married my Canadian husband while he was visiting New Jersey. (No visa required.) Yes, his information was recorded for the license, and we had to have a witness swear that he was who he said he was. But there was never any inquiry into his status in the States. Having legal status is not a pre-requisite for getting married.

Which is why women filling their cars always get free marriage proposals from gas station attendents. Illegals working here want to normalize their status by getting married.

We aren't really helping the OP here, but we're touching on the underlying issue regarding all illegals. People are rarely challenged about their status while in the States. We have a free country and don't like the idea of a gestapo demanding to see your papers.

Perhaps if there was an acceptable way to verify status, we'd have fewer problems.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

My question would be how can there be a legal marriage when he was in the country illigally? It would seem to me that he gave false information when they married making the marriage illegal just like him.

Just my opinion.

When we got married, I questioned when we obtained our marriage license about him being illegal and we were told the state we live in you do not have to have a SS# to get married. He just had to sign an wavier saying he was not eligible for a SS# We did and our marriage is VERY LEGAL.

Did your husband originally legally enter the US?

No, He entered the US in 2001 illegal so we are not able to AOS. That is why the K-3/CR-1 is so important to us now. Our #1 goal now is to get his status corrected.

Well Yoda,

I stated that he must have given false information when he entered into the marriage thus making it an illegal marriage . Nowhere did I mention immigration.

Yoda. :lol:

Actually, in this case, a very appropriate loss of consonants! :)

SA4userbar.jpg

rickmt,

You wrote, "My question would be how can there be a legal marriage when he was in the country illigally? It would seem to me that he gave false information ..."

If the false information was not with regard to being in the country illegally, why did you mention that immigration issue?

Yodrak

Well Yoda,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I stated that he must have given false information when he entered into the marriage thus making it an illegal marriage.

Not sure where you think he would have given false information - states don't require you to provide proof of legal status when you get a marriage license.

Also, perhaps you are not aware that on the I-129F and I-130 forms there is actually a check-box to indicate if the beneficiary entered the country illegally. The petitioner is also required to provide all the correct information regarding entry dates, method of entry, etc. and sign it under penalty of perjury and hefty fines. This way, all of the information is provided up front. The law provides a way for visa overstayers or people with illegal presence to adjust their status. As you now know, there is nothing illegal about a marriage between a USC and an illegal immigrant.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Why are some people advised that they can just adjust status since they're here... even if they are illegal.. "Elsie is confused" was advised to pursue the AOS. What am I missing??

Jen

Jen,

There are two kinds of "illegal".

1-EWI/Entered Without Inspection aka snuck over the border

2-Overstay aka entered on a legal visa but did not leave as agreed

Overstay is generally forgiven for the spouse of a USC. So, if someone has been living in the US without status for any period of time (met a 15 year-er online once) and they file to adjust via marriage to a USC, the slate is wiped clean (as long as they do not leave the us until they have the Green Card).

EWIs specifically may NOT adjust status. They MUST return for a consular process. Many will do the petition filing and not leave the US until called for the interview. At the interview, they are denied due to the illegal entry and they immediately file a waiver. In some countries, these waivers are easily and fairly quickly approved, the visa is issued and the EWI returns to the US with a visa to live happily ever after. This is NOT a shortcut or an easy way out.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.