ashenflowers

Employment Help

53 posts in this topic

I hope people don't mind me joining this thread, there's been some REALLY helpful advice in here.

I seem to be in the category of really bad luck. I've been looking since January, and these are my experiences:

- I was invited to a luncheon to meet the staff of Meditech. I knew someone in the company who is from England and she was positive I would get a job there as they apparently hired 20+ people every luncheon. Well, needless to say, only one person from my group of 13 was hired. I tried again but got another automated email rejection. She has no idea why this happened.

- I carried on with sites like Monster and Idealist, etc and also applied through company websites. Then in April I got a voice-mail from Harvard Medical School asking me for interview. I was on the phone constantly trying to get in touch with them, but kept getting voice-mail, so I left a few messages. Finally, I called the front desk and asked to speak with someone relevant, and I was passed around until someone told me the position was filled.

- I got one interview in May, which didn't go so well, partly due to my anxiety and partly due to the staff interviewing me. They told me two months later that the position had been filled.

- I continued to email people directly, one day sending off 33 emails. I got 11 responses saying they had no positions, and the rest didn't reply. I got an interview after that with a psychiatrist at supposedly the top psychiatric hospital in the country. It was amazing, we connected perfectly, and I didn't even need any of my documents or notes. He told me he would love to work with me if he got the research grant/funding. I got in touch every week and was finally told a couple of months later that he didn't hear back about funding, so was moving on with another project and wished me luck.

- I had started to feel really depressed with the situation and started applying to all kinds of jobs in retail (Macy's, Ikea, Petco, etc) but was rejected by all of them. I applied to work in an Irish pub, hoping my English-ness would be an advantage :lol: , and had a couple of phone calls with them, and an in-person meeting. But once she found that I wanted more than a temporary 3-day-a-week position, she lost interest and never called back. I tried clerk positions and never heard back from them. Craigslist was full of scams that wanted money, credit checks, equipment bought, etc.

- Last month I received an email from Brown Medical School asking if I was still interested in a job with them. I hurried back and said of course, asked if they wanted to meet, etc. I had a phone interview, which went really well, and after waiting a couple of weeks, asked for an update. They've just invited me for an in-person interview next week.

I am absolutely dying to get this. It's my last hope, as me and my husband are considering moving back to the UK if it doesn't work out. I just can't seem to get a break over here. I really feel for all those in the same position. My biggest tip would be to email people in your field directly, as that has gotten me more responses than general sites have. People seem a lot nicer about responding to an email request instantly, rather than going through a month-long process not knowing anything. Sometimes it helps to apply through their website and also send them a personal email to let them know your interest.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well update on my call back. I got the job :D So, I'm now one of the lucky few in Maine with a full time Monday-Friday job with full benefits. Wohooo. I start on the 20th.

Good luck everyone on your search!

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Gemmie - Good luck at your interview next week. :thumbs:

beans - Congratulations on the new job and YAY for full benefits!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has found the state's job bank (Michigan Works) to be very useful. It has a resume feature that he filled out and people actually called him (we didn't know employers could see the resume if it wasn't "sent" to them and my husband was just "experimenting"). Lots of temp agencies seem to sift through applicants for "real jobs" so "networking" with temp agencies seems to be a good thing. My husband has gone through a few of the temp agencies that had jobs listed on the state's jobs bank. He works in manufacturing and has gone directly to shops that had jobs posted to connect with people there and drop off resumes.

The interviews have the weirdest attributes though. Several places interviewed him for 2 hours, had him take "tests" (always bring your own calculator if you do anything mathematically related), and discussed his work status (he is still waiting for his EAD). The waiting for the EAD is torturing him after 2 months of "holidays" and a couple places would have been prepared to offer him the job if he had his work permit or green card. Why can't the government process work permits faster to remove the stress that comes to those of us that have an immigrant spouse? A rhetorical question I know! Anyways we wait.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there! Just got back from a visit to Canada! While I was there, I found out that i got a job that I'd applied for before I left. For the past month I've made it a full time job to apply for jobs -- I created my online portfolio and just sent out resumes and personalized cover letters for each position I applied for. It paid off. I had about 4 job interviews and and 2 were for jobs that I really wanted and were in my field. The industry I work in is very soft right now in this economy but I've had a good run of luck. I also have another interview scheduled for next week which I'll now cancel since i have a position.

yeah, ti's hard work and the economy is crappy and it's easy to be overlooked but I just made it a full-time job and researched companies and made some contacts and spoke with placement agencies that specialized in graphic arts and it paid off but it was a ton of work. It was depressing and hard too -- sending out SO many resumes and cover letters and being totally ignored was awesome.

I suppose that's it, I also found that it DID make a difference enclosing a note on the CV and cover letter stating that I am allowed to work in the US legally. So... that's my thing... I JUST found about about this job so the relief/excitement is very new.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm still a bit away from this point yet, but I'm completely nervous about it. After working in the states though I have quite a few connections, and I've decided to start my own company. I spent my time up here in Canada writing the plan and when I get back I'll start the blog that supports what I'm going to do. Hopefully by the time I have my approval to work I'll be ready to roll. The job market is so scary still =(

[img]http://davf.daisypath.com/bOLvm4.png[/img]

31.03.2010- I129F Filed (K1/K2)
02.09.2010- Interview - VAN - [color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
18.09.2010- POE Edmonton-Atlanta
01.10.2010- Civil Wedding in GA! <3
04.29.2011- AOS Filed (K1/K2)
09.19.2011- EAD Approved
10.24.2011- AOS - ATL Interview -[color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
11.02.2011- Green Cards for us!!

Filed: Timeline

Fabulous post, Sapphire. Thank you!

Good luck on the job interview, Gemmie! Let us know how it went.

Congratulations to Beans and LGG!!! :dance:

Oh. I got a rejection email for a job I had forgotten I had applied for! :lol: I'm over-qualified for the position. I would have rejected me too. The problem is that though my resume reflects a high level of responsibility and supervision, I am not interested in returning to that level of employment. At least not at this time, anyway. I'm busy with the unpacking this week so I'll start looking in earnest sometime next week. I just want a part-time stress-free (ha ha) job! Is that to much to ask? :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not too much to ask for at all, Krikit! Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope it goes well -- it's contract work which is perfect for me and will allow me to keep my skill set up and give me a lot of contacts. i'm hoping it goes well but I am such a nervous nelly about things. also, we're in the midst of booking a trip to France for our belated honeymoon and I'd hate for them to be mad about that but, life goes on while you're waiting to hear back from people, right? But since it's contract work, I am my own free agent of sorts and can turn down assignments. I'll just have to ensure that I work very hard to put myself at the top of their totem. It's something for now and that's a good thing.

Good luck to everyone on their search, it's by no means easy in this economy...

Fabulous post, Sapphire. Thank you!

Good luck on the job interview, Gemmie! Let us know how it went.

Congratulations to Beans and LGG!!! :dance:

Oh. I got a rejection email for a job I had forgotten I had applied for! :lol: I'm over-qualified for the position. I would have rejected me too. The problem is that though my resume reflects a high level of responsibility and supervision, I am not interested in returning to that level of employment. At least not at this time, anyway. I'm busy with the unpacking this week so I'll start looking in earnest sometime next week. I just want a part-time stress-free (ha ha) job! Is that to much to ask? :lol:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

I've applied to a few jobs with nothing. When I call to get updates on the position, people give me the run around and I usually end up talking to a machine at reception.

Yesterday I applied for a job where one of the requirements was "able to laugh everyday". Sounds like a fun job, the salary sucks, but that's ok.

It's hard living in a small town... my MIL is hiring at her work, and she said she got SOOOOOOO many resumes... for a front desk dentist office position.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

David is trying to see if there are any openings at his work the Salvation Army, now while i think it would be neat working in the same place (its huge, multiple buildings and levels) i'm nervous as heck. I mean..i look at my resume and my experience and realize, well, there isn't much on there. I've only ever worked for 2 companies in 10 years, 9 at one, and while that does show stability etc, it was 2 years ago i even worked last.

i have reference letters, but they are again from a couple years ago, and i'm not sure how employers would look at those. Also, it's really hard for me to analyze myself, so that i can make a cover letter. And truth be told, i don't know what i really want to do. I thought about going back to school part time, but we just don't have the funds for that right now, and i'm going to be 37 this December. Starting over at this age, well kinda feels meh lol.

HWDWm6.png

I had my interview yesterday, and I was telling the UK folks, it was quite intense for me because I expected a quick chat with the supervisors at the hospital. I ended up talking with the first supervisor and then she stuck me in a room on my own and I had 4 other people come in, one by one, to ask me questions. :unsure: I was there for 2 hours in total and by the end of it, I was completely drained. I think I did OK as time went on, as my nerves went away, but the important part at the beginning, I feel I stumbled in a few places.

She did ask me to give her some references but said I couldn't use the supervisor for my internship as she is also my friend... and she doesn't want academic references like teachers, she wants professional ones. I had no idea what to tell her. All of my previous jobs in the UK either closed down, the supervisors left, or it was from like 5 years ago where they wouldn't even remember me. She kinda scanned through my resume and noted that I didn't have much to offer there, so I told her I would find a summer job from a couple of years ago when I worked in a kitchen serving food. Not really the best, but.... honestly, studying in the UK is MUCH different than the US. We're covered by the government with living expenses so we don't have to find jobs other than in the summer when our grants are on hold. None of my friends had jobs in school. It seems in the US that you HAVE to work a lot to support yourself during school. I think she didn't like that I have no professional references.

I also felt she indirectly put my experience down a little, for instance when telling her about a project I worked on, she kept asking "but how did you test that?" and after stuttering my way through an explanation, she said "oh, so you didn't actually use MRI or anything clinical.." And then later on when telling her how difficult it was for me to recruit gay people for my project, she told me "if you thought THAT was hard, you're going to be in for a shock with all of the data involved in this project". She also mentioned that my role would involve supervising college students, and said that because I'm so young, they might find it hard to take direction from me. Overall she was very friendly and approachable, but I kinda felt like 2ft tall a couple of times.

I'm quite worried about it because after a 45 minute phone call, a 2 hour interview, and then having to track down some old references and scan a copy of my work for her, it would be awful if it didn't work out. The sad thing is that everyone made it quite clear that it's the bottom of the ladder and I would be doing the jobs that no one else wants to do. I'm willing to do that, please give me a break here.

Good luck to everyone searching right now.

Edited by Gemmie

Timeline

Geez - sounds rough - she doesn;t sound that nice really, do you really want to work there?

I would definitely explain the differences if there is anythign that seems confusing to the US interviewer - they may just be unaware

I had my interview yesterday, and I was telling the UK folks, it was quite intense for me because I expected a quick chat with the supervisors at the hospital. I ended up talking with the first supervisor and then she stuck me in a room on my own and I had 4 other people come in, one by one, to ask me questions. :unsure: I was there for 2 hours in total and by the end of it, I was completely drained. I think I did OK as time went on, as my nerves went away, but the important part at the beginning, I feel I stumbled in a few places.

She did ask me to give her some references but said I couldn't use the supervisor for my internship as she is also my friend... and she doesn't want academic references like teachers, she wants professional ones. I had no idea what to tell her. All of my previous jobs in the UK either closed down, the supervisors left, or it was from like 5 years ago where they wouldn't even remember me. She kinda scanned through my resume and noted that I didn't have much to offer there, so I told her I would find a summer job from a couple of years ago when I worked in a kitchen serving food. Not really the best, but.... honestly, studying in the UK is MUCH different than the US. We're covered by the government with living expenses so we don't have to find jobs other than in the summer when our grants are on hold. None of my friends had jobs in school. It seems in the US that you HAVE to work a lot to support yourself during school. I think she didn't like that I have no professional references.

I also felt she indirectly put my experience down a little, for instance when telling her about a project I worked on, she kept asking "but how did you test that?" and after stuttering my way through an explanation, she said "oh, so you didn't actually use MRI or anything clinical.." And then later on when telling her how difficult it was for me to recruit gay people for my project, she told me "if you thought THAT was hard, you're going to be in for a shock with all of the data involved in this project". She also mentioned that my role would involve supervising college students, and said that because I'm so young, they might find it hard to take direction from me. Overall she was very friendly and approachable, but I kinda felt like 2ft tall a couple of times.

I'm quite worried about it because after a 45 minute phone call, a 2 hour interview, and then having to track down some old references and scan a copy of my work for her, it would be awful if it didn't work out. The sad thing is that everyone made it quite clear that it's the bottom of the ladder and I would be doing the jobs that no one else wants to do. I'm willing to do that, please give me a break here.

Good luck to everyone searching right now.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I know I made it sound like she was a total b1tch but she really was very friendly and perky. I was just highlighting what I feel were the downsides to the interview - the rest went quite well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Gemmie - Just out of curiosity, why did you tell them that your intern supervisor was your friend? I mean if that's all you had, keep that information to yourself! No one would ever find out and there's nothing wrong with being friends with a supervisor! All of my professional references are past managers but also good friends. Do you have a LinkedIn account? You can ask people to give you recommendations on there and point people there as well. I know that helped me a lot. I just had regular colleagues I work with recommend me (and I recommended them back).

Also - I noticed when I interview people that no one sends a thank you email anymore. Don't forget to send a follow up thank you email! That always wins me over.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.