CanAmBride

Montreal Interview - Can We Fly From Detroit?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks like the Montreal Consulate is FINALLY scheduleing CR-1 interviews! YAY! I don't want to get my hopes of getting one in October, but if we do, I have a quick question:

My husband lives in Windsor, which is next to Detroit. He has been crossing to visit me in Detroit throughout the CR-1 process with no problem.

We can fly to Montreal from Detroit pretty economically, but driving would take 12 hours. The problem is that coming back from the interview, he would not have his passport/visa and he would have to go through Customs. How would this work?

Are we better off driving or possibly flying out of Toronto?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have this problem, too. I'm going to university in Windsor starting next week, and will be interviewing for my K-1 hopefully in the next several months (still waiting on NoA2 though!)... I know what you're saying, flying in/out of Windsor is REALLY expensive, and Westjet doesn't fly from Windsor - Montreal, and Air Canada prices are too high.

I personally do not plan to risk flying back from Montreal - Detroit without my passport, but there is a Nexus card option. I think the cards about $50, but your savings would be WAY more than that on the flight. I think your husband would just have to have his Nexus appointment at a retina scanning office, and he could use his Nexus at an airport, and I think he'd be good to go. Someone with more Nexus card experience could help more than me!

OR, you could fly Detroit - Montreal, and Montreal - Toronto to avoid any possible debacles. Montreal - Toronto can be REALLY cheap; I've seen it as cheap as $29 on Westjet for a seat sale... of course, add all the taxes and fees and the "just because we feel like adding it" charges, it comes to about $90 I think... but still, not too bad at all. I just did a search right now, and for the month of November (I Just estimated for your interview month), and some days were still $29, with all fees, $89.31!

Anyway, I hope this helps!

I hope you get your interview soon!!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only problem I see with using the NExus card is that technically if your visa was approved then would the US see his entereing Detroit on the way home as him attempting to activate (even though you don't havbe your papers or visa in hand) the other problem you could face is that he would be denied entry which is always a problem for us canadians anytime we try to enter the US. Personally I would take the 4-5hr drive to Toronto park the acr adn then fly Toronto to Montreal, the flights can be cheap and there will be less hassles and les chance that you may purchase a plane ticket and be denied on the flight it owuld be just too much stress that I wouldnt want to encur at that point. You have another option ...you can take VIA rail from Windsor-Toronto-Montreal...I know To-Mtl train tix can be as low as 59$ one way..(I dont know the price from WIndsor)..that way you can relax and spend time and not have to deal with traffic or customs.

There's always the option of hanging around Montreal for an extra day and picking up the visa. Once approved, you can usually pick them up the next business day after 2pm from what I understand. I know Vancouver will do this. You may want to drop the Consulate an e-mail to see what they say.

All the best!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

train from windsor to monreal was very cheap for me it was about 100$ managed to stay on the same train the whole way aside form moving cars as the toilet broke lol. pretty nice and relaxing too. It's also how i moved from montreal to windsor.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would not attempt what you have suggested.

I would either fly from Windsor, or use the train.

I myself - drove the 12 hours, which took me 14 due to construction back in July.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Timeline

LOL took me longer to drive that..was in december with snow storms EEK. Never will do it again lol, i got sleep at the wheel around kingston, just too much stress to drive it for myself.

HWDWm6.png

How about fly from Windsor (which inevitably will involve going through Pearson)?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

flying windsor to toronto to montreal adds about 300 or more to a ticket price..and an extra transfer along with more time. be easier to just drive to toronto and fly direct to montreal.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.