star_shine

Working while being on a K1 VISA

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Question:

My K1 Fiance Visa will Exp in Oct…

were in the Process of doing the paper work for my AOS

But im a lil confused …… about something… im being told different stories here about being able to work or not…

so my question is ..

im i allound to start working right away without a work permit … ?

im i safe to work till my visa exp ?

anyone ? Thanksss :)

Question:

But im a lil confused …… about something… im being told different stories here about being able to work or not…

so my question is ..

Your visa expires the moment you use it to enter the US.

You can't work until after filing for AOS and receiving work authorization.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your not allowed to work. Its not legal.

You need EAD or Green Card to work. If you work before you file AOS and get your ead/green card you will have some serious issues.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please review the I-9 document, let us know if you currently hold the right documents to work ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Question:

so my question is ..

NO YOU CAN"T WORK till you get green card read USCIS on AOS

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Where are you getting all this info about not being allowed to work?

K1 Visa holders are allowed to work, as long as they get a WORK PERMIT and an SSN, and it's actually better if you get that as soon as you get there. At least that's what most of the people here are saying who have gone through the same experience. Search the forum for the same topics, and you'll see that this issue has been rehashed over and over again.

2009/12/30 - Met online

2010/03/27 - 1st Visit to the Phils

2010/04/03 - Left the Phils back to the US

2010/05/__ - Engagement (unofficial)

2010/07/19 - Filed I-129F

2010/07/27 - Check cleared

2010/08/21 - 3rd Call to USCIS call center, finally got our Case #, still no mail

2010/09/01 - NOA1 official date

2010/09/07 - NOA1 received, FINALLY!!!

2010/10/06 - Touched (expedite request callback from USCIS, giving us the requirements)

2010/10/07 - Finally got the papers from the doctor and submitted requirements for expedite

2010/10/07 - Touched with callback

2010/10/14 - USCIS website says it's APPROVED!!! mailed

2010/10/19 - received at NVC

2010/10/21 - NVC sent documents to the US Embassy in Manila

2010/10/23 - 2nd Visit the the Phils, touchdown in Manila & flight to Samar, Pamamanhikan for brunch, Engagement Party for dinner

2010/10/24 - Picnic with close family and friends

2010/10/25 - Engagement Party with family in Manila

2010/10/26 - Leave the Phils back to the US

2010/11/22 - Interview at the US Embassy in Manila - VISA APPROVED!!!

2010/12/30 - POE in Las Vegas. TOGETHER AT LAST!

2011/03/06 - Married in Las Vegas

2011/05/03 - AOS, EAD & AP filing date

2011/05/11 - NOA1 for all

2011/05/24 - successful walk-in biometrics (originally 6/10)

2011/06/20 - got online status update and hardcopy of interview appointment dated 6/16 but scheduled for 7/26

2011/07/22 - AP approved, EAD card in production

2011/07/26 - AOS interview. RFE coz they LOST MY MEDICAL!!! GRRR!

2011/07/30 - EAD/AP combo card in the mail

2011/10/21 - finally got my GREENCARD after several complaints all over the place

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Where are you getting all this info about not being allowed to work?

K1 Visa holders are allowed to work, as long as they get a WORK PERMIT and an SSN, and it's actually better if you get that as soon as you get there. At least that's what most of the people here are saying who have gone through the same experience. Search the forum for the same topics, and you'll see that this issue has been rehashed over and over again.

Yes, a K1 visa holder can apply for a work permit and SSN during the 90 day period that their I-94 is valid. However, the work permit will expire the same day the I-94 expires. Given that it takes a couple of months to get the work permit, the best you'll be able to do is work for about a month before the permit expires. If it takes a bit longer then it may already be expired by the time you get it. You won't be able to work again until you get another work permit based on the pending AOS petition. For the overwhelming majority of K1's, it ain't worth the filing fee.

Just wait until you file the AOS petition, and concurrently file an application for a work permit. That work permit will be valid for a year, though many people receive the permit around the same time as their AOS interview. Sometimes they don't get the work permit until AFTER they receive their green card. At least there's no filing fee when you apply at the same time you apply for AOS.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.