Kaitie64

Consular report of a birth abroad

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone has applied for a consular report of a birth abroad for their child with their US citizen spouse, specifically in Canada? We have an appointment next week for our son and they don't really tell you what you need as proof and what is required to have him declared a US citizen. I'd appreciate any information, thanks :)

Days until our 3rd Wedding Anniversary[br].png

UMjx.jpg.png

Kim(Canada)Lee(WA)

Met online June 14/02

Spent an incredible week together in BC Aug 23/02

I went to NY to see my sweetie and meet his family Oct/02

Spent our first Xmas together Dec 24/02

He proposed!!! Dec 26/02

He visits for a week after 5 long months apart May/03

Lee moves from NJ to WA state to be closer to me Oct 29/03

We got married!!! Feb 28/04

Our son Ethan was born!!! Aug 17/04

Got our visas Aug 1/06 !!!

I was wondering if anyone has applied for a consular report of a birth abroad for their child with their US citizen spouse, specifically in Canada? We have an appointment next week for our son and they don't really tell you what you need as proof and what is required to have him declared a US citizen. I'd appreciate any information, thanks :)

I hope this helps some.

Claims to U.S. Citizenship

The ACS office can provide information and assistance to someone who believes he/she (or his/her children) has a claim to U.S. citizenship, including registration of children born in the Montréal area to U.S. citizen parents and who have a claim to citizenship at birth. We recommend that any claim to citizenship is documented as soon as practical after birth or after someone is first made aware of a possible claim.

In order to register the birth abroad of child under the age of 18, the U.S. citizen parent must appear in person at the Consulate with the following information in order to complete a Report of Birth Abroad application, which requires payment of a US$40 fee:

Proof of U.S. citizenship for one or both parents - at the time of the applicant's birth

An original civil birth certificate of the child showing both parents' names

Identification for the child (preferably with a photograph)

An original civil marriage certificate for the parents, along with original evidence of the dissolution of any prior marriages for both parents

Affidavit of physical presence and parentage if the child was born to an unwed U.S. citizen father

http://canada.usembassy.gov/content/textonly.asp?section=travel&subsection1=usconsulates&subsection2=&document=mtlacs

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

AussieWench has pointed to the right place.

I had to registered my two chidren via the US consulate in Edinburgh and they are very nice and helpful.

Be sure to have your proof of parentage and citizenship and you will be fine. We got very pretty certificates in the mail several weeks later attesting to their US citizenship.

Congratulations on the new baby.

I-130 IR1

1-18-06 I-130 sent to Texas, forwarded to California

2-06-06 NOA1 Received

4-24-06 NOA2 I-130 Approved!

5-24-06 DS-3032/AOS Fee-Bill Received

5-24-06 DS-3032 Sent to NVC

5-24-06 Payed AOS Fee-Bill

6-19-06 IV Fee-Bill Received

6-19-06 Payed AOS Fee-Bill

6-23-06 AOS I-864 Received

7-01-06 AOS I-864 Sent to NVC. Used new form.

7-03-06 AOS I-864 Received by NVC

7-07-06 DS-230 Sent to NVC using James Short Cuts

7-10-06 DS-230 Received by NVC

7-11-06 The NVC has received the Documents, "Please allow 6-8 weeks for review."

8-15-06 Case Complete at NVC!!

8-23-06 Case forwarded to London!

8-28-06 Letter from NVC: Case forwarded to London.

10-24-06 Medical

10-31-06 Interview scheduled in London. Visa approved

11-02-06 Passport / visa delivered by courier

11-08-06 EDI - IAH - CRP woo hoo! Home! Home! Home!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you both for your replies. I just want to be prepared, if not over prepared so that we have anything and everything they could possibly want. My daughter and I have our visas and now this is the last thing that is holding us up from moving. Hopefully it won't take too long to process. Thanks once again :luv:

Days until our 3rd Wedding Anniversary[br].png

UMjx.jpg.png

Kim(Canada)Lee(WA)

Met online June 14/02

Spent an incredible week together in BC Aug 23/02

I went to NY to see my sweetie and meet his family Oct/02

Spent our first Xmas together Dec 24/02

He proposed!!! Dec 26/02

He visits for a week after 5 long months apart May/03

Lee moves from NJ to WA state to be closer to me Oct 29/03

We got married!!! Feb 28/04

Our son Ethan was born!!! Aug 17/04

Got our visas Aug 1/06 !!!

I have a question in regards to this also. Our baby will be born in November. I don't imagine I will be getting my interview at Montreal before then but probably sometime in the new year. Can I register our new baby for Birth Abroad at Montreal at the same time that I'm having my CR-1 interview?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a question in regards to this also. Our baby will be born in November. I don't imagine I will be getting my interview at Montreal before then but probably sometime in the new year. Can I register our new baby for Birth Abroad at Montreal at the same time that I'm having my CR-1 interview?

No.. it has to be done at the Consulate that has jurisdiction over your residence. In your case, Calgary...

Also, the visa will not be issued until the question regarding your child's Citizenship is answered .. through the issuance of a US Passport or a Consular Record of Birth.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Sorry Zyggy,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly.

Also, the visa will not be issued until the question regarding your child's Citizenship is answered .. through the issuance of a US Passport or a Consular Record of Birth

I'm PM'ing you so hopefully you get it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Along with Aussie's information you will probably need these forms.

SS-5 Application for social security card for the child.

"

Affidavit of parentage and physical presence".

D3-11 Application for passport

DS-2029 Application for consular report of birth abroad of citizens of the united states of America.

This may be embassy specific but the the us citizen does not have to be present but the parent who is present must have a letter from the US citizen stating that you agree you are the father and give permission to your spouse etc etc etc...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.