jimandjosil

adoption is final

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My daughter's adoption has been finalized 2 weeks ago and we are glad that is over now. But I'm still confused as to how it's gonna be presented or included in my ROC. I am set to remove conditions by the end of August. I just have a few questions.

1.) She is not to be included because she is now considered as a US citizen since she was adopted by my USC husband?

2.) She is presently a CR2 visa holder and it expires this oct. 15th...what will replace that? to show that she is a legal resident now.

3.) In the I-751 form part 5 it says LIST ALL CHILDREN...STATUS...do I put US citizen status? adopted? CR2 visa holder?

For now this is what is confusing me. Thank you for your help.

Also,,

30. What documentation can I get of my adopted child’s citizenship?

If you want documentation of your child’s U.S. citizenship, you may obtain a Certificate of Citizenship

from the USCIS and/or a U.S. passport from the Department of State. You do not need a Certificate of

Citizenship issued by the USCIS in order to obtain a passport for your child.

My take,,, is why spend the money on a Cert of Citizenship when a passport will serve the same purpose,,, and you

will need a passport anyway.

regards,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Also,,

30. What documentation can I get of my adopted child's citizenship?

If you want documentation of your child's U.S. citizenship, you may obtain a Certificate of Citizenship

from the USCIS and/or a U.S. passport from the Department of State. You do not need a Certificate of

Citizenship issued by the USCIS in order to obtain a passport for your child.

My take,,, is why spend the money on a Cert of Citizenship when a passport will serve the same purpose,,, and you

will need a passport anyway.

regards,

My take is the filing the N-600 since a US citizen is one of the parents is that this is permanent record of that childs' US citizenship. Granted, the fee is twice as much as registering a dog with the AKC, but we are talking about a human being here with a long future in this country.

Gee, its been so long since I looked at an I-751, but almost certain, you list all of your child, natural, adopted, or step. Technically, she is a US citizen via the adoption, but may want to use a separate sheet of paper and explain she was recently adopted by a US parent to be on the safe side. Perhaps someone is more up to date on this in the removal of conditions forum. Our kids were either natural or step, none were adopted. But they claim an adopted child is just like a natural born child. But they also claim a naturalized citizen is just like a natural born one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

thanks everyone but still my questions weren't directly answered.

Average time to process an N-600 is about five months, could wait that long, and that way, you will be dead sure. But if the application is accepted and an NOA is received, should feel fairly secure. Or just go ahead and apply for a US passport for a shorter response time to be dead sure. Other options are to apply for an infopass, call that 800 number, or contact an immigration attorney.

Or just apply with a separate sheet of paper explaining your situation backed up with a copy of the adoption papers, spouses citizenship proof, and the birth certificate of your child that should list both of your names on it.

You have options, depends upon what kind of rush you are in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.