Amecia

A few questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been searching for a clear cut answer about this, but despite reading through previous posts about it, I still can't find one so I figured I would ask. I am wondering if I have to submit my birth certificate or if my fiance is the only one who has to submit his. He is the USC and I am from Canada. I have read that only the USC needs to submit their birth certificate, but then other people say that they submitted birth certificates for both parties.

Also, my birth certificate is in French so if I need to submit it, I will have to get it translated first. Can I do it myself (french is my first language)? In the instructions from USCIS, they require them to be certified, but many people seem to have done it themselves without problems. Also, my lawyer says he can certify and notarize a translation (he is French too), but he is not an accredited translator. Can I use his services for the translation or do I need to go with someone who is accredited?

Finally, my fiance may not make enough to prove he can support us but I am currently receiving maternity benefits and will continue receiving them for a year. If our application goes through and this is the only thing holding us back, could we use my maternity/parental benefits towards his income? I am entitled to receiving them even if I live in the US so they would continue after I move there. The only thing is that they will not continue indefinitely. Would the consulate let us use them or would they ask us to get a co-sponsor? I will be going to work once my maternity leave is over and will work on getting a green card asap after the wedding.

Thank you for your input. :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your fiance will have to prove his US citizenship, this can be in the form of a birth certificate or a passport. Yes, you will need your birth certificate eventually - consulate stage. It will have to be the long form, the one with your parents listed. It has to be translated but you cannot translate it yourself. It does not have to be an accredited transoator, they just have to sign it and state they are qualified to translate it (others will step up and fix my mistakes on this)

No, your benefits do not count towards the finances. You have to show how HE can support you. You can find a cosponsor if you can.

I'm assuming you in Eastern Canada (east of Ontario) so you're interview will be in Montreal, I'm sorry but it is a terribly slow consulate

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

For the petition you'll need the USC's birth cert, once the case goes to the consulate you'll need yours.

I know it needs to be certified but I'm not sure how since my Fiance had his certified translation done years ago.

I highly doubt they'll accept your maternity benefits as income, would you be able to get a co-sponsor?

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

At this point, we don't really have anyone we can ask to co-sponsor. It's a long story. Maybe later down the road, things will change, but I don't know.

Canadian_wife, I am actually in Alberta so I will be going to the Vancouver consulate.

It's really ironic that they would be worried about me being dependent on him since for the last little while, I'm the one who's been supporting him from over here. And I can make so much more money than he can because of my line of work and my experience. lol Oh well, we'll see how things work out. :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Vancouver~you lucky duck!

The co-sponsor can be any US citizen, family or friend.

Well, the point of this journey is for him to show he can support you. If you have significant savings (at a 3 to 1 ratio of 125% above the poverty level) then your assest may be able to count

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

if the USC can't show a steady income of at least 18000.00 ( if I am right for 2010 ) then a co-sponsor is needed that is right, it is the USC that has to show proof that he/she can support the pair, regardless of the line of work the immigrant my be able to do, there is no certainty that they ( the immigrant ) will get a job right away, and that is still something that has to be applied for after the wedding ( a permit to work legally ) , so it will be a couple months minimum before the immigrant of the couple can work anyway.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Amecia if you are helping him right now my suggestion would be to start a joint US Savings account (if your bank won't allow you then you can put it solely in his name assumin that you want to marry each other then I assume you trust him)if betwen now and the time of the interview you are able to accumulate enough savings that will bridge the gap between his salary adn the 125% poverty line you will be ok as he can use that for his affidavit of support. Also, if he has life insurance the "cashable" amount also counts. If he has any stocks or bonds with his company, they count. Just wanted to let you know its not just his income that has to solely make up the 125% but there are a few different combinations.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.