Kikay K

Would these affect my K1 visa interview?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Now that my mom's US tourist visa application has been denied three times already (her third interview was yesterday), I've become somewhat paranoid about certain issues that might pop out during my K1 (fiancee) visa interview. I'm expecting my interview in October.

1.) I had an ex-bf that my brother in the US introduced to me. He's Canadian and works in the US. We were a couple for 10 months and broke up in 2006 (we were like water and oil!). Before we broke up, he invited me to the US in 2005, but my tourist visa application was denied. The reason for my travel (as I supplied in my non-immigrant form and during the interview itself) was to visit him and my brother. Recently, I have indicated in my K1 non-immigrant visa application that, yes, I've been denied a visa before (but the form didn't ask for a further explanation). I read however that sometimes, the consul asks about prior visa refusals. Would my previous relationship with someone in the USA be a red flag? Would this make the consul think I'm only after a visa to go to the US? This is not true, of course, as I and my fiance love each other very much and we can prove this with pictures, emails, SMS, etc. during the interview. If this would be a red flag, are there some things that I could do so as to preemptively work around this, like, should I say that my purpose for applying for the tourist visa in 2005 was to see the US and my brother, and omit my ex-bf from the picture? As much as I wouldn't want to lie, this is what my relatives have been advising me to do, because having my ex in the picture might make me appear as someone who's boy-hunting in the US just to get to the US.

2.) I am a nurse in the Philippines. It is a given that so many Filipino nurses want to work in the US, but in the past few years, going to the US as a nurse (particularly as an immigrant) has been more difficult than going to heaven. Many nurses have been waiting for years and years for their immigrant visas to be granted, while many others have been denied a tourist visa just because of the fact that they're nurses. Would this create doubts as far as my intent to go to the US under a K1 visa is concerned, because it might make me appear like I just want a quick way to work in the US as a nurse? Would this make them question my motives for my relationship with my beloved fiance? If so, what's a nice way to handle this if this is brought up in the interview?

Sorry if I really sound paranoid. I am starting to become one after seeing how devastated my mom is after being denied three times. Plus of course, I really want to be with my fiance and get married as planned in December, so i want everything to run smoothly during the interview, of course.

Thanks a lot in advance for your support and guidance!

1. Should not be an issue - everyone has a past, and not everyone that applies for a visa gets one.

2. Your coming on a K-1 - so being a nurse will have no effect on it. As long as you show you intend to marry the USC, and convince them at the embassy you have a genuine relationship, you should be fine. I would handle it by being honest.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why did your mother want so desperately to visit the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2.) I am a nurse in the Philippines. It is a given that so many Filipino nurses want to work in the US, but in the past few years, going to the US as a nurse (particularly as an immigrant) has been more difficult than going to heaven. Many nurses have been waiting for years and years for their immigrant visas to be granted, while many others have been denied a tourist visa just because of the fact that they're nurses. Would this create doubts as far as my intent to go to the US under a K1 visa is concerned, because it might make me appear like I just want a quick way to work in the US as a nurse? Would this make them question my motives for my relationship with my beloved fiance? If so, what's a nice way to handle this if this is brought up in the interview?

Retrogression on the Work Visa for Nurses has been in place for a few years now and should continue.

It should have zero bearings on your K1 Visa except positive.

If the petitioner was not able to meet miniumum levels for income, the CO has in the past (From previous posters) approved based upon the nurses income level in USA.

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you! I feel better because of your helpful posts.

Why did your mother want so desperately to visit the US?

Although this is off topic, I'll answer your question: My sister in law was diagnosed with cancer, stage 3c, and so she and my brother desperately need emotional support from the family. I guess that despite of my mother's financial documents and properties (land, house, etc.), the US embassy didn't see it as a compelling reason for my mother to see the US. But we understand, and life goes on anyway :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your brother could sponsor her for a GC. Even if she does not want to immigrate it would give her the time in the US she needs.

Unlike for siblings, the time line is not that bad.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The fact that you are a nurse is a good thing in the eyes of the consul officer. It means that you are employable in the U.S. and that you are unlikely to become a public charge. Even if you don't work as a nurse right away, you have a college education which will allow you to work at any number of different jobs here in the U.S.

Chinook is a nurse. During her interview, she told the consul officer that she planned to work in the U.S. The consul officer had no problem with it.

Good luck! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.