Dolsos

W2 missing

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee recieved a packet of documents I sent her that was ripped open and some of the forms were missing, one of which being the last copy of W-2 I had. Her interview is in two days and she's in Manila now, I wont be able to get another copy and get it to her before her interview, how bad is this? Auto denial? I had extra copies of everything else but I wanted to send her an original of my w-2, just happened to be the last original I had, didn't really plan for it being lost. She has a copy of last years 1040 and 12 months of pay stubs as well as 12 months of bank statements.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was specifically asked for taxes AND W2s at my interview. I gave them all the papers he mailed me and then at the interview the only thing he seemed to look at was the paystubs... Tho I dont know if he looked at the other papers before I was called into the room and what not, its likely they did. Not sure if your embassy is difficult or not you might want to ask in the specific region just incase its super important for that embassy to have thos.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

My fiancee recieved a packet of documents I sent her that was ripped open and some of the forms were missing, one of which being the last copy of W-2 I had. Her interview is in two days and she's in Manila now, I wont be able to get another copy and get it to her before her interview, how bad is this? Auto denial? I had extra copies of everything else but I wanted to send her an original of my w-2, just happened to be the last original I had, didn't really plan for it being lost. She has a copy of last years 1040 and 12 months of pay stubs as well as 12 months of bank statements.

Thanks!

it doesnt really matter as long as she has your 2 recent ITR 2 recent paystubs and the affidavit of support.

Timeline

As long as you have your last year's ITR, no need to show them the W2s.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

As long as you have your last year's ITR, no need to show them the W2s.

That's not entirely correct in all situations.

For Petitioner: Complete the original Form I-134, Affidavit of Support and its supplemental documents: W-2 and 1040 tax forms (for the last taxable year), bank and other financial statements and forward it to your relative.

ITR without the W-2's mean nothing. You need both to fill the requirement. (it's spelled out in the 864 requirements for this requirement, and in instructions for the I-134 from most embassies - the above statement was from the embassy in Ankara Turkey)

You should check the requirements for the embassy you are using.

The embassy in PI doesn't state you need W-2's with the I-134, but it does say you need them for the 864, so going by what that embassy requires, you "should" be ok. (they do state that "faxed" copies of the ITR are acceptable, so you could fax the W-2 if it is needed)

_______

Makes sense, doesn't it? I could just fill out an ITR stating I make X amount, and without the W-2 to back it up, I could "pretend" I make the level needed.

So i would recommend to send them regardless.

Tax transcripts are the way to go for affidavits (they have all the info you need).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't know about the Embassy in Manila, but many other consulates would never accept an ITR without the supporting documents, including W2's. You can download a 1040 form from the IRS website and write virtually anything you want on it. Without the supporting documents, they have no way of knowing if the figures on the 1040 are accurate. There are many VJ members whose affidavits were not accepted without W2's.

Also, many consulates have an administrative assistant of the CO's review the affidavit and supporting documents before the interview. You may not see what they actually look at because they may have looked at it before the interview.

Finally, you should never have sent an original W2, especially your only remaining original. A copy would have been fine.

If you want to be absolutely sure they don't send her out of the consulate with an RFE for your W2's then you might want to call the IRS and have them fax transcripts to you - this can generally be done very quickly, often less than an hour, and it costs nothing. You can then fax the transcripts to your fiancee.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

In USEM, as long as the income is above poverty level, tax return is enough, however, we might not know what the pre-screener or CO would want to see. In my case, they only wanted to see the tax return, didn't ask for pay stubs or letter of employment. The CO asked me to provide a scanned copy of my fiance's 2009 tax return cuz I only provided his W2s.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

In USEM, as long as the income is above poverty level, tax return is enough, however, we might not know what the pre-screener or CO would want to see. In my case, they only wanted to see the tax return, didn't ask for pay stubs or letter of employment. The CO asked me to provide a scanned copy of my fiance's 2009 tax return cuz I only provided his W2s.

That makes sense also - just having W-2 doesn't actually proved you filed an ITR (which is one of the things they are looking for).

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

My daughter had her 485 denied all because of a missing Schedule C on a tax return..Everything else was there and the Schedule C only shows a breakdown..so I would have to say it depends on the officer and what kind of mood they are in on that particular day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The point is that a copy of a tax return includes everything that would be sent to the IRS. The IRS would not accept your tax return if you didn't send the W2's, or didn't include the schedule C, or any other form you're required to include. Obviously, what constitutes a complete tax return is going to vary from one person to another. If you don't receive any income from wages then you won't have a W2 to submit. On the other hand, if you enter a number other than zero on line 7 of the 1040 then you MUST include the W2's. If you don't have business income then you wouldn't fill out a schedule C. On the other hand, if you enter a number other than zero on line 12 of the 1040 then you MUST include a schedule C.

The consulate wants a complete tax return or IRS transcript. They don't want bits and pieces of either one. If you give the consulate a package the IRS wouldn't accept, then the consulate probably won't accept it either.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.