tristana

Really Sad Interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Georgia
Timeline

So today I went for my inteview extremely nerviuos and full of hopes that this journey will be finally behind me. To my greatest fear the officer told me that the date on my green card was entered incorrectly by some clerk at USCIS (should have been September not August), and as a result I unknowingly filed earlier than 90 days.

He offered my two choices to withdraw application or get a denial letter. So I withdrew it. Now i have to refile, pay again, and wait another months and months.

I just can not believe it, how unfair... Why should I pay for their mistakes? Feel like in bad dream and cry. Feel like in a coma.

So today I went for my inteview extremely nerviuos and full of hopes that this journey will be finally behind me. To my greatest fear the officer told me that the date on my green card was entered incorrectly by some clerk at USCIS (should have been September not August), and as a result I unknowingly filed earlier than 90 days.

He offered my two choices to withdraw application or get a denial letter. So I withdrew it. Now i have to refile, pay again, and wait another months and months.

I just can not believe it, how unfair... Why should I pay for their mistakes? Feel like in bad dream and cry. Feel like in a coma.

it was really a shoccking and unfair answer..... so sad sorry to hear that....but keep faith in god everything will be okay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is horrible. It was not your fault. Im soo sorry to hear that.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

I can't help but ask: did you know the original date on your GC? Was it correct on your conditional GC? or on the AOS approval letter?

In any case - it is so sad that you/we have to pay for their mistakes. You should probably consult with an immigration lawyer if the fault is entirely theirs?

Sorry to hear about your case....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I can't help but ask: did you know the original date on your GC? Was it correct on your conditional GC? or on the AOS approval letter?

In any case - it is so sad that you/we have to pay for their mistakes. You should probably consult with an immigration lawyer if the fault is entirely theirs?

Sorry to hear about your case....

In regards to sending your N-400 early, Part 3 line C states, "C. Date You Became a Permanent Resident (mm/dd/yyyy)" . Kind of recalled the date my wife received her conditional card, but just to be exactly sure, checked it on her conditional green card, she didn't receive her ten year card yet. But when it finally did come in, updated her application with a copy of it and darn well checked the date on her new card as well.

How did this get by you?

Says to check your card when you received it for any errors, so wouldn't do you any good to hire an attorney. Can't really just blame the USCIS, its also part your fault for not checking it. Kind of dirty since its part their fault they didn't refund your 675 bucks, could call them on that and not just accept the decision of your IO.But at the same time, where you signed your application it clearly states:

"I certify, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America, that this application, and the evidence submitted with

it, are all true and correct. I authorize the release of any information that the USCIS needs to determine my eligibility for naturalization."

Your information was not correct, so in another view, they just requested you withdraw your application and didn't imprison you for perjury. I know it sounds harsh, must have printed out at least ten copies with double and triple checking to make sure all was correct.

Residence since on my wife's card is in the mm/dd/yy format, she has been using dd.mm.yy all of her life, but since her date was 06/27/05, really difficult to switch the 06 with the 27 as there are only 12 months in a year. Could that be the reason for your error?

Yeah, my old state screwed up my birth certificate, that caused a delay in getting that corrected, but sure checked that when it came in. But they admitted it was their mistake, so didn't charge me any extra. Now if I submitted that with our N-400, who would get the blame for that? Can tell you, won't be the state.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You got screwed but did not get kissed and you need to contact in person your nearest US Senator and House of Representative local office and and take all your information with you and explain what happened and see if they cannot help you get something done, that is not right what happened to you. :wow:

I did not have any conditional green card, my case is not based on marriage, that was my only green card, and the only date that I could see.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

In these circumstances where you didn't know the real date you became a GC holder and your only evidence was your GC itself, then they owe you that money through their negligence.

They may say that you were sent a notice at the time your GC was approved and you should have checked your GC against the date on that notice - watch out for that.

Whatever, it's a rotten trick to try and take your money at this stage through their mistake. Get after em for the money and file again quickly within the real 90 days while waiting for it (If you can fund that).

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I did not have any conditional green card, my case is not based on marriage, that was my only green card, and the only date that I could see.

Then I am really dumbfounded with this latest bit of information, how can it be your error is the date on the green card is the only date you have? The date on our green cards is the only date we have. When it came in the mail in a first class #10 size envelop, was just the green card in a light card board folder with the name and the address on it, and a small brochure about having to apply for selective service or something like that. No other literature had the date you became a LPR.

This certainly sheds a different light on your situation, I would be calling your senator or your congressman. They have the power, immigration attorneys don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I dont want to believe what I just read..it is not fair :bonk:

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your support and good thoughts! I really needed it today. I guess my 10 years journey (4 years waiting on green card alone) had to have a twist at the end, and i am back at square one. I guess people who work there have no regards to what we feel on this side, and that they mess with our lives and feelings.

Thanks again!

As everybody here knows that when we receive GC it is attached to the mailer documents it comes with, and this mailer document clearly reads that save this mailer. So 1st question to you.

1 Did you save that Mailer? If yes Move to question 2.

2 Did you take that mailer with you to the interview? if yes move to question 3

3 Did you show that mailer to the officer? if yes move to question 4.

4 What did she say after seeing that mailer because this mailer usally show the exact date the GC was created and mailed to you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I think you need to take it to senator's office. If it was their clerk's error then either they should let you withdraw the app without any consequence and they should refund you the money back.

It was their mistake and not yours, but same time you must have also known when you got your GC.

Timeline

I think you need to take it to senator's office. If it was their clerk's error then either they should let you withdraw the app without any consequence and they should refund you the money back.

It was their mistake and not yours, but same time you must have also known when you got your GC.

tristana is not being precisely clear on this subject, did gather she only received one card, not that conditional thing like most of us with a one month error. Or what proof her IO provided as to whether the error was in his records, if there is even records, or on her card.

From what she did say, seems like they could have delayed her oath ceremony for one month if there is an error. Work with the FAA quite a bit, hiring new idiots daily that don't even know the regulations, but yet they are arrogant and in charge, and we know the USCIS works the same way. I have to be tactful and request to speak to their supervisor. Or dealing with an SS agent that insists my wife must be present when I had the applications and all the evidence, or dealing with an EPA agent that doesn't even know what H2O is. Claim that 80% of Americans do not trust their government, wonder why the other 20% do?

I know if I were in her shoes, would have never withdrew the application, would have had it denied so I could fight it. Fortunately my wife in her job was dealing with lots of government agents and she knew how to handle her idiot IO and corrected her. Its a shame we have to constantly run into this kind of #######. tristana could claim she was coaxed into withdrawing her application. Other people on this board that were called early for their interview simply had their oath ceremony delayed. But what is the whole story?

Timeline

Hi

Now that i have clearer head, i wanted to further clarify the cituation. I waited for my green card for 4 and a half years. When it finally arrived it was postdated. The date on the mailer was completely different. Why would i needed to doubt it?

The officer showed me their internal document from my file with the approval, and the date on their stamp was 1 month earlier than i have on my card. I never received anything like this. Why did they accepted my app in the first place? It means it was wrong in their system too. I have to admit that officer seemed apologetic and admitted their fault, and even went to their internal laywer to maybe find the way around it... But came back and said it is not legal. I asked if appeal would help, he did not think so.

When i read instruction for filing N 400 it is clearly states:

"Date you became a Permanent Resident - Write the official date when your lawful permanent residence began, as shown on your Permanent Resident Card. To help locate the date on your card, see the sample Permanent Resident Cards in the Guide."

As much as I want to get my citizenship now, i heard that the appeal is a long and costly process, i do not have a faifh in senators either. I guess i will have to reapply and hope that one day i will forget about USCIS forever. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.