Samoray

naturalization question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello

I was browsing this section and i was reading on different subjects but a question came to my mind that i have not found an answer for

If i was to file for a citizenship through naturalization because i am married to an American citizen and i don't want to lose my old citizenship, of course my current citizenship country allows me to have dual citizenship

So i read the requirements of it

Oath of Allegiance

To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:

support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;

renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and

bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.

I do not want to renounce the country that i was born in which is Egypt

So does that mean that i can not become a USC because of that ?

Thank you in advance

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: Timeline

The US allows and recognizes dual citizenship. If you're eligible for US citizenship and you're approved, you can retain your Egyptian citizenship as well.

Hello

I was browsing this section and i was reading on different subjects but a question came to my mind that i have not found an answer for

If i was to file for a citizenship through naturalization because i am married to an American citizen and i don't want to lose my old citizenship, of course my current citizenship country allows me to have dual citizenship

So i read the requirements of it

I do not want to renounce the country that i was born in which is Egypt

So does that mean that i can not become a USC because of that ?

Thank you in advance

Timeline

The US allows and recognizes dual citizenship. If you're eligible for US citizenship and you're approved, you can retain your Egyptian citizenship as well.

Thank you for the reply but my question is still ( do i have to take the Oath of Allegiance ) which is renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and

bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.

Or i can go without that oath

Thank you

us-eg.gif

The Oath of Alliance is the final step to receive US Citizenship. Not taking the oath means that one can not be a US Citizen. Now, the US does not recognize double citizenship, meaning that for example, for some reason your birth country requires you to serve in their military, you can't, nor you can't run for office in a foreign country. However, the United States does not oblige you to renounce your other citizenship (meaning surrender your passport and other national identity documents from the other country at consulate or w/e). Taking the Oath of Alliance means that you have to serve the United States at any moment when required, even if it has to be against your birth country. Otherwise, what's the point of having US citizenship ?

So, in summary...Taking the Oath of Alliance is required. You do not have to surrender your country of birth passport once you acquired US Citizenship.

Hope this helps.

Timeline

The Oath of Alliance is the final step to receive US Citizenship. Not taking the oath means that one can not be a US Citizen. Now, the US does not recognize double citizenship, meaning that for example, for some reason your birth country requires you to serve in their military, you can't, nor you can't run for office in a foreign country. However, the United States does not oblige you to renounce your other citizenship (meaning surrender your passport and other national identity documents from the other country at consulate or w/e). Taking the Oath of Alliance means that you have to serve the United States at any moment when required, even if it has to be against your birth country. Otherwise, what's the point of having US citizenship ?

So, in summary...Taking the Oath of Alliance is required. You do not have to surrender your country of birth passport once you acquired US Citizenship.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much

Now i understand it clearly

us-eg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thank you very much

Now i understand it clearly

Of course you can drive to Canada when war breaks out. Many American citizens have done that especially in the Vietnam era. It's 3 hours drive from my house.

You can talk your way around this. Imagine Egypt's worst enemy and imagine the US declaring war on them . You could support that.

Oh wait a minute though...perhaps that's not going to happen.

ok second worst ?

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Of course you can drive to Canada when war breaks out. Many American citizens have done that especially in the Vietnam era. It's 3 hours drive from my house.

You can talk your way around this. Imagine Egypt's worst enemy and imagine the US declaring war on them . You could support that.

Oh wait a minute though...perhaps that's not going to happen.

ok second worst ?

Well hopefully no more wars are going to start because the earth is exhausted of them !!

us-eg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Well hopefully no more wars are going to start because the earth is exhausted of them !!

I agree with that, but history shows that the US is not between wars for long.

However, Egypt is seen as a friend so there is every chance there will be no problem.

Of course Iraq was a friend and Saddam Hussein was given lots of weapons by the US just before it was attacked by the US - so it doesn't always work out.

I have my own strategy ready for if the US bombs England but I keep it secret so not even Mr O knows...

Just do it - it's fun...

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.